|"The One Yard" Challenge|
If you have ever purchased just one yard of fabric just because it called your name, purchased just one yard of fabric because it was too costly to buy more, or hung onto that last yard of fabric left over from your project -then this contest is for you.
During this contest, participants will create an item using just one yard of fabric. Use your creativity to design something with one yard of fabric or choose an item from the popular books "One Yard Wonders" and "Fabric by Fabric One Yard Wonders" . A quick Google search will also yield a multitude of ideas for you.
1. Contest Start date: May 1, 2012
2. Contest Completion date: May 15, 2012.
3. Only items made from no more than one yard and no less than 1/2 yard may be entered into this contest.
4. Lining may be used and will not count towards the one yard of fabric.
5. Trims may be used and will not count towards the one yard of fabric.
4. Multiple entries are allowed.
5. Any fabric type may be used.
6. Fabric widths up to 60" wide may be used.
Examples of Allowed items:
* Adult clothing items such as skirts or tops
* Children's clothing items such as dresses, pants or tops
*Wearable items such as aprons or hats
* Craft items such as items such as pillows or totes
Examples of Disallowed items:
*Any item that uses more than one yard of fabric.
* Any item that uses less than 1/2 yard of fabric.
* Any item that uses a combination of more than one yard of fabric, such as a colorblocked skirt that uses two different one yard pieces.
* multiple items that use one yard of fabric. (ie 6 bibs that together use one yard of fabric will not be allowed)
General Rules for all Contests:
1. All reviews must be entered for submission by 11:59 PM Eastern Time on the last day of the contest.
2. Patterns MAY be muslined prior to the start of this contest, however, fabric for contest garment may NOT be cut prior to the start of the contest. Fabric may be pretreated before the start of the contest.
3. Items intended for sale, or for which you were or will be paid to make, do not qualify for any contest, but items made for charity are welcome.
4. Unless otherwise stated in the rules, all reviews written for a contest entry must include a picture of the entry, preferably on a live model.
5. Interpretation of rules is subject to the discretion of the contest manager and the contest committee.
1. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who's been a registered member on the site for 90 days prior to the start of a contest is eligible to enter.
2. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who's been a registered member on the site for 90 days prior to the end of a contest is eligible to vote in a contest.
3. Any member who's won first place in a contest on Pattern Review that ended in the previous four-month period is ineligible to win another contest (during that four-month period). For this contest, first place winners from the following contests are NOT eligible to win:
RTW Contest End date 4/30/12
Vintage Contest End date 4/16/12
Swimwear Contest End date 3/31/12
Red Dress Contest End date 2/29/12
Menswear Contest End date 2/15/12
Jeans Contest End date 2/15/12
Fabric Stash Contest End date 2/1/12
Guidelines for Voting on Contests:
Because of the high quality of the garments we're seeing entered in PR Contests, we're setting forth some guidelines that may help you choose when voting.
1. Consider how well the entry fulfills each of the following criteria in order to narrow down your votes.
2. How well does the garment fit the criteria stated in the contest rules? How well does it fit the spirit of the rules?
3. Are the construction methods, including but not limited to seam finishes, lining techniques, etc, well suited to the design? To the fabric?
4. Is the fabric choice well suited to the design?
5. Is the review complete and well written?
6. Taking into account the stated ability level of the entrant, how well does the garment fit?
7. Creative points. You may choose to give extra credit here for an entry that reflects additional creativity (embellishment) while only using one yard of fabric. [does this make sense? The point of this contest is to not stray far from the original intent of the pattern but to be able to put one's personal stamp on the pattern.]
Sponsor & Prizes:
Thanks to Threads Magazine who generously provided the prizes as a sponsor for this contest!
Threads Archive DVD
Fitting DVD Set