Between August 1st and August 15th cut, sew and review a handbag of your choice and enter it in the contest.
1) A commercial pattern or self drafted pattern may be used. Patterns may be new or already in your stash, however, handbag must be created during the contest time frame (August 1-15).
2) A lining is required
3) A closure of some sort is required (snaps, magnetic snaps, flap with snaps, zippers, button and loop closure)
4) Use of interfacing to make it a structured bag is required. It can be a slouchy bag also, but interfacing is still required.
5) Purchased handles including purchased straps are allowed. Recycled handles / straps are allowed.
6) Use of hardware is optional but is encouraged.
7) Grocery bags are not included in this contest.
8) Voting will begin August 17th and end August 31st.
General Rules for all Contests:
1. All reviews must be entered for submission by 11:59 PM Eastern Time on the last day of the contest.
2. Patterns MAY be muslined prior to the start of this contest, however, fabric for contest item may NOT be cut prior to the start of the contest. Fabric may be pretreated before the start of the contest.
3. Items intended for sale, or for which you were or will be paid to make, do not qualify for any contest, but items made for charity are welcome.
4. Unless otherwise stated in the rules, all reviews written for a contest entry must include a picture of the entry, preferably with a live model.
5. Interpretation of rules is subject to the discretion of the contest manager and the contest committee.
6. Voting will begin on the second day after the contest closes and will be open for two weeks.
1. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who's been a registered member on the site for 90 days prior to the start of a contest is eligible to enter.
2. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who's been a registered member on the site for 90 days prior to the end of a contest is eligible to vote in a contest.
3. Any member who's won first place in a contest on Pattern Review that ended in the previous four-month period is ineligible to win another contest (during that four-month period). For this contest, first-place winners from the following contests are NOT eligible to win:
Pattern Stash 7/31/12
One Pattern Many Looks 6/30/12
Natural Fabrics End date 5/30/12
One Yard Wonders End Date 5/15/12
Best Patterns End Date 5/15/12
RTW Contest End date 4/30/12
Vintage Contest End date 4/16/12
The first- and second-place winners will be decided by member vote.
Guidelines for Voting on Contests:
Some tips for narrowing down your votes:
1. How well does the item fit the criteria stated in the contest rules? How well does it fit the spirit of the rules?
2. Are the construction methods, including but not limited to seam finishes, lining techniques, etc, well suited to the design? To the fabric?
3. Is the fabric choice well suited to the design? Are the lining and interfacing choices appropriate?
4. Is the review complete and well written?
5. Creative points. You may choose to give extra credit here for an entry that reflects additional creativity (embellishment, fabric choice, etc.) while staying within the nature of the original pattern.
8. Complexity of the project. Relate this to the skill level of the participant. If a participant is a beginner then a princess seam may get the same complexity level as an underarm gusset gets for an advanced
Sponsor & Prizes:
Thanks to Threads Magazine who generously provided the prizes as a sponsor for this contest!
Threads Archive DVD
Fitting DVD Set