January 16 to February 15, 2013
Between January 16 and February 15th cut, sew and review a handbag of your choice and enter it in the contest.
1) A commercial pattern or self drafted pattern may be used. A pattern you've used previously may also be used, however the entry for this contest should be a different and new bag.
2) A lining is required
3) A closure of some sort is required ( snaps, magnetic snaps, flap with snaps, zippers, button and loop closure )
4) Use of interfacing to make it a structured bag is required. It can be a slouchy bag also, but interfacing is still required.
5) Purchased handles and straps are allowed. (the 2013 contest rules have been changed to allow purchased straps.
6) Use of hardware is optional but is encouraged.
7) Grocery bags are not included in this contest.
General Rules for all Contests
All reviews must be entered for submission by 11:59 PM Eastern Time on the last day of the contest. It is suggested to start your review as a Work In Progress (private or public) so that you can get any bugs ironed out prior to the deadline.
2. Patterns MAY be muslined prior to the start of this contest however; fabric for contest garment may NOT be cut prior to the start of the contest. Fabric may be pretreated before the start of the contest.
3. Items intended for sale, or for which you were or will be paid to make, do not qualify for any contest, but items made for charity are welcome.
4. Unless otherwise stated in the rules, all reviews written for a contest entry must include a picture of the entry, preferably on a live model.
5. Interpretation of rules is subject to the discretion of the contest manager and the contest committee.
Contest Eligibility: ***Rule #1 is changed for 2013
1. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who is a registered member on the site before the contest begins is eligible to enter.
2. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who's been a registered member on the site for 90 days prior to the end of a contest is eligible to vote in a contest.
3. Any member who's won first place in a contest on Pattern Review that ended in the previous four-month period is ineligible to win another contest (during that four-month period).
The first, second and third place winners will be decided by member vote. Prizes will be awarded to the first and second place winners.
Prizes for the contest
TO BE ANNOUNCED
Each member can vote on up to five entries.
Voting will begin 2 days after contest closes and will close 7 days after voting starts.
Because of the high quality of the garments we're seeing entered in PR Contests, we're setting forth some guidelines that may help you choose when voting. Consider how well the entry fulfills each of the following criteria in order to narrow down your votes:
1.. How well does the garment fit the criteria stated in the contest rules? How well does it fit the spirit of the rules?
2. Are the construction methods, including but not limited to seam finishes, lining techniques, etc, well suited to the design? To the fabric?
3. Is the fabric choice well suited to the design? Are the lining and interfacing choices appropriate?
4. Is the review complete and well written?
5. If photos or composite photos are a requirement of this contest, are they included as required?
6. Taking into account the stated ability level of the entrant, how well does the garment fit?
7. Creative points. You may choose to give extra credit here for an entry that reflects additional creativity (embellishment, fabric choice, etc.) while staying within the nature of the original pattern.
8. Complexity of the project. Relate this to the skill level of the participant. If a participant is a beginner then a princess seam may get the same complexity level as an underarm gusset gets for an advanced sewer. This is purely subjective, but a complex garment might garner more points than a simple one if a tie-breaker is needed.