|Natural Fabrics Contest|
May 1-31, 2013
Are you in love with natural fibers? Does the thought of wearing silk, wool, cotton or linen make you sighhhhh with delight? Are you into urban chic leather and suede styles? Why not combine that love with this contest, and show us how you incorporate your favorite natural fiber into a garment.
Make an item using only 100% natural fibers- silk, wool, cotton, linen, hemp, leather or suede (not faux). For this contest, blends are not allowed. The fiber that you use must be 100% ONE fiber. Ie.: 100% silk NOT 50 silk/50 cotton. Please see the addendum if you are unsure about fabric eligibility.
Lining, notions and/or trims DO NOT have to be a natural fiber.
Any wearable garment is acceptable. A skirt, top, dress, pants, pj's, jacket or coat for a woman, man or child.
Home Dec and accessories are not a part of this contest.
Photos are always a necessary part of a contest entry. At least one photo of the finished garment is necessary.
A review must be written and the PR member must enter the contest and link the review to the contest by 11:59pm of the last day of the contest (May 31st).
Addendum: About Fabrics
For this contest, natural fabrics include silk, wool, cotton, linen, hemp, leather and suede. They are either made by spinning raw fibers into thread and then weaving, knitting, etc, OR they are made by tanning hide.
Manufactured fabrics such as Rayon, Bamboo, Modal, Ramie, Lyocell, etc are not allowed for the purposes of this contest. They are plant/cellulose based, but are manufactured (their pulp is turned into liquid and then extruded) to make fibers that can then be woven/knit.
Man-made/Synthetic fabrics are not allowed either. These are Polyester, Spandex, Elastane, Acrylic, Acetate, faux leather and faux suede - these are fabrics made from chemicals and then manufactured.
For more details about manufactured and man-made fabrics, fabric.net has a helpful article:
General Rules for all Contests
All reviews must be entered for submission by 11:59 PM Eastern Time on the last day of the contest. It is suggested to start your review as a Work In Progress (private or public) so that you can get any bugs ironed out prior to the deadline.
2. Patterns MAY be muslined prior to the start of this contest however; fabric for contest garment may NOT be cut prior to the start of the contest. Fabric may be pretreated before the start of the contest.
3. Items intended for sale, or for which you were or will be paid to make, do not qualify for any contest, but items made for charity are welcome.
4. Unless otherwise stated in the rules, all reviews written for a contest entry must include a picture of the entry, preferably on a live model.
5. Interpretation of rules is subject to the discretion of the contest manager and the contest committee.
1. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who is a registered member on the site before the contest begins is eligible to enter.
2. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who's been a registered member on the site for 90 days prior to the end of a contest is eligible to vote in a contest.
3. Any member who's won first place in a contest on Pattern Review that ended in the previous four-month period is ineligible to win another contest (during that four-month period).
The first, second and third place winners will be decided by member vote. Prizes will be awarded to the first and second place winners.
Prizes for the contest
First Prize: $100 Gift Certificate from Schmetzneedles.com
Second Prize: $75 Gift Certificate from Schmetzneedles.com