2013 Sewing for Children Contest
August 1 – August 31, 2013
The purpose of this contest is to sew baby and children’s clothing. Unlike the 2011 Sewing for Children’s contest, children’s accessories may NOT be entered as a stand alone entry; however, accessories like toys, craft item or home dec may accompany the clothing entry as long as it's sewn.
Contest Specific Rules:
1. Contest entry must include an article of clothing. Clothing includes tops, bottoms, dresses, vests, rompers, hats, diaper covers, outerwear, underwear, pajamas, swimwear, etc. Contest manager will determine eligibility of clothing item so entrants are encouraged to check early if unclear on eligibility.
2. Accessories (bibs, coordinating doll / pet outfit; home décor; craft item; toy, etc.) may also be included to ENHANCE the entry but an accessory without an accompanying article of clothing will not be accepted as an entry.
3. Items must be intended for members of your own family, friends, acquaintances or charity. As always, items intended for sale are disallowed in this contest.
4. Age of intended recipient may be newborn to age 12.
5. Only baby and children patterns will be allowed. If your child has matured into misses / mens sizes, please consider saving your contest sewing for a different contest.
6. We know many people consider animals their children, however, for this contest, the definition of baby / children reflects humans only; therefore, clothing, toys or accessories intended for animals are not allowed.
7. At least one photo of the entry is required. Photos on live models are NOT required but are allowed.
8. Self-drafted or commercial patterns are allowed. Combinations of multiple patterns or self-drafted and commercial patterns are allowed. Downloaded patterns and magazine patterns are allowed.
9. First and second place winners will be selected through a vote open to members of PR. Voters should select the entry that has the best fit. Quality of construction and evaluation of how well the entry meets the guidelines of this contest should also be taken into consideration when voting.
10. All cutting of the fabric and sewing can only be done from August 1 – August 31st at 11:59 EST . You may, however, pre-wash fabric, work on muslins, and cut pattern pieces before August 1st.
11. Voting will begin after a 2-day administrative period to resolve any review issues after the contest closes and will close 7 days after voting starts. Thus, voting for this contest will begin on September 3 and close on September 9 at 11:59 EST.
General Rules for all Contests
1. All reviews must be entered for submission by 11:59 PM Eastern Time on the last day of the contest. It is suggested to start your review as a Work In Progress (private or public) so that you can get any bugs ironed out prior to the deadline. Although Contest Managers and Contest Committee will help with technical issues, they may not be available at the end of the contest so be sure to allow adequate time to post your entry before the contest ends.
2. Fabric may be pretreated before the start of the contest.
3. Patterns MAY be muslined prior to the start of this contest however; fabric for contest garment may NOT be cut prior to the start of the contest.
4. Items intended for sale, or for which you were or will be paid to make, do not qualify for any contest, but items made for charity are welcome.
5. Unless otherwise stated in the rules, all reviews written for a contest entry must include a picture of the entry, preferably on a live model.
6. Interpretation of rules is subject to the discretion of the contest manager and the contest committee.
***Rule #1 is changed for 2013
1. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who is a registered member on the site before the contest begins is eligible to enter.
2. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who's been a registered member on the site for 90 days prior to the end of a contest is eligible to vote in a contest.
3. Any member who's won first place in a contest on Pattern Review that ended in the previous four-month period is ineligible to win another contest (during that four-month period).For this contest, first-place winners from the following contests are NOT eligible to win:
• 2013 Pantone Colors
• Pattern Stash
• Natural Fabrics
• Accessory Challenge
• Jeans Contest
• UFO Contest
• Fabric Stash
1. The first, second and third place winners will be decided by member vote. Prizes will be awarded to the first and second place winners.
2. Each member can vote on up to five entries.
3. Because of the high quality of the garments we're seeing entered in PR Contests, we're setting forth some guidelines that may help you choose when voting. Consider how well the entry fulfills each of the following criteria in order to narrow down your votes:
• Does the garment clearly reflect the pattern's line drawing?
• How well does the garment fit the criteria stated in the contest rules? How well does it fit the spirit of the rules?
• Are the construction methods, including but not limited to seam finishes, lining techniques, etc, well suited to the design? To the fabric?
• Is the fabric choice well suited to the design? Are the lining and interfacing choices appropriate?
• Is the review complete and well written?
• Taking into account the stated ability level of the entrant, how well does the garment fit?
• Creative points. You may choose to give extra credit here for an entry that reflects additional creativity (embellishment, fabric choice, etc.) while staying within the nature of the original pattern.
• Complexity of the project. Relate this to the skill level of the participant. If a participant is a beginner then a princess seam may get the same complexity level as an underarm gusset gets for an advanced sewer. This is purely subjective, but a complex garment might garner more points than a simple one if a tie-breaker is needed
Prizes for the contest
First Prize: $100 Gift Certificate from Schmetzneedles.com
Second Prize: $75 Gift Certificate from Schmetzneedles.com