||Butterick:Robert L. Green (Mens - Shirts)
||I started sewing in June 2009, determined to be able to make some wearable clothes. After working on some men's boxers, a sewing machine cover, and making some very basic pants alterations, I decided to apply myself to shirts. Working with the aid of an Islander Method DVD, I started on my first projects, sewn from old sheets (an idea borrowed from my PR buddy, BrianSews). (I also bought David Coffin's Shirtmaking book, but I found that way too intimidating.)
I found my pattern on eBay. It's a vintage Butterick mens's shirt pattern, # 4712, called "Robert L. Green." I really love men's vintage patterns as the styles are cut slimmer and, in my opinion, look more fashionable today than the contemporary men's patterns do. I found my fabric at the Salvation Army: a vintage flowered polyester/cotton fitted twin bedsheet for $1.99. I got the buttons off an old shirt in my closet I rarely wear (and I'll be wearing it less now.).
I made a few changes to the pattern, eliminating the buttoned epaulets and patch pockets. Working from the Islander DVD, I pre-cut most of my pattern seam allowances down to 1/4 inch, which meant less trimming along the way. I sewed mainly on my vintage Necchi 555 though I did the buttonholes on my vintage Kenmore: both second-hand machines I purchased recently on eBay.
Overall, I'm pleased with the results. I still have challenges easing in the sleeves and I'm in the process of refining my seam-finishing techniques. I mainly just zig-zagged over the edges to keep them from fraying. I'm really excited about finding Pattern Review and have gotten a lot of good advice from people I've met here. I'm really excited to be attending the American Sewing Expo in September!
I've posted a photo album of my project at http://picasaweb.google.com/PeterLappinNYC/Butterick4712VintageFloralSheet#
Thanks for viewing!
|8/12/09 3:11 PM