||Self Drafted Pattern:\"Sunflower\" Sundress (Kids(boys & girls))
||I drafted this pattern specifically for this fabric.
I bought the fabric a couple months ago with a specific commercial pattern in mind. After comparing the shape of the pattern pieces to the fabric I realized that the pattern would not show off the fabric print as I had hoped.
I drafted this pattern from scratch. The bodice required 2 fittings. (YEAH for patient 5 yos!) The shape was designed to take full advantage of floral stripe from the bottom of the fabric.
I calculated the size and shape of the skirt panels with 2 things in mind: 1. to show off the stripe elements and get the strong inverted "V" shapes where the panels joined and 2. to get the maximum fullness for the skirt. I had hoped there would be enough length, after joining the skirt panels together, to put a box pleat in the center of each panel as it joined to the bodice, there wasn't. so I changed plans and gathered the skirt on.
Over all I am very happy with the project. I might alter the bodice pattern slightly to fix a small gaping which occurs on each side of the back.
Here's the link to the entire photo set on Flickr.
|5/14/12 10:17 PM