Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 1283 (Misses' Unlined Jacket, Knit Top, Pants and Skirt)

Reviewed by:FrougieFashionista

Pattern Photo:Simplicity 1283
Simplicity Pattern Info
Pattern Rating:Great Wardrobe Builder
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 8 people
See other patterns in this category: Coordinates
Fabric:Ponte Knit  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description: Misses' comfortable chic sportswear pattern by Mimi G includes unlined jacket with belt, knit long sleeve crop top, lined knit skirt with contrast front side panels and flared knit pants.

Pattern Sizing: 6-14 and 16-24 (I cut a 18 based on 41" hips)

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes pretty close. I made View B. See more photos on my blog Frougie Fashionista

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes and since these are Mimi G patterns for Simplicity it comes with a video tutorial. In a video for each pattern piece Mimi G sews along with you as she walks you through each step from cutting the pattern pieces to finishing the hem.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love pencil skirts, color blocking and Mimi G so the skirt was a must sew. I also loved the video tutorial.

Fabric Used: A red ponte knit I bought as a remnant and black ponte knit I ordered from fabricmartfabrics.com

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I cut the 18 based on my 41" hips however I ended up trimming the outside edge of the back pieces by about 1/2" and increasing the side seam allowances to 3/4". Next time I will cut a 14.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes I will definitely make this again (in a 14) in other colors or patterns and colors as the color block options are limitless. I would recommend to even a newbie because of the video tutorial.

Conclusion: I thought it was a great and easy to follow pattern that made a great wearable piece. I can't wait for more MimiG for Simplicity patterns.

staymay said... (10/4/14 4:56 PM) Reply
Good job. I've had the pattern for 2 months now. This motivates me totake it out & use it.
Corygentri said... (10/2/14 1:55 PM) Reply
Gorgeous job and those shoes are EVERYTHING!!
TJSEWS said... (9/13/14 1:14 PM) Reply
What a beautiful skirt you made. Love the colors you chose. You look gorgeous!
FrougieFashionista said... (9/12/14 11:26 AM) Reply
@8erin5 I agree. lol. I'm taking it a size down next time
FrougieFashionista said... (9/12/14 11:25 AM) Reply
@sewfie65 thanks I love these shoes
FrougieFashionista said... (9/12/14 11:25 AM) Reply
I have no idea how to make my picture show up correctly. Can anyone help? I've tried a few photos
FrougieFashionista said... (9/12/14 11:12 AM) Reply
8erin5 said... (9/2/14 12:09 PM) Reply
I love fitted skirts! The tighter, the better lol...for me anyway! I hope to make this my next project.
sewfie65 said... (8/26/14 12:49 PM) Reply
Great job on this stylish skirt. Also--love the shoes with it! Perfect.
sosat said... (8/26/14 8:41 AM) Reply
I can't wait to try this pattern!
Levone said... (8/25/14 12:35 PM) Reply
Cute skirt!
feltont said... (8/23/14 10:57 AM) Reply
Love the new Mimi G line and you did a great job on the skirt!
SewPrincess said... (8/22/14 7:55 PM) Reply
OMG this is beautiful!!! I need it!
artysam said... (8/22/14 1:55 PM) Reply
wow looks great, i love black and red combo!! love mimi g too!!!
N_Vogue said... (8/22/14 5:30 AM) Reply
Email me @ bcj49@bellsouth.net
maryfrana said... (8/20/14 1:36 PM) Reply
Oh my yes. This is a wonderful skirt. The color blocking is perfect.
FrougieFashionista said... (8/20/14 10:54 AM) Reply
Thank you SouthernStich and RadarRadiance
FrougieFashionista said... (8/20/14 10:53 AM) Reply
Thank you N_Vogue. I don't really have hips and I think the little I do have sits low. Do i just measure down from my natural waist to the center of my hips?
RadarRadiance said... (8/20/14 9:38 AM) Reply
This skirt is adorable on you, you did a great job and I know your going to get tons of compliments!
SouthernStitch said... (8/20/14 9:04 AM) Reply
Love these skirts on you!! Very fashionable.
N_Vogue said... (8/20/14 4:45 AM) Reply
May I also suggest using a fabric with Lycra which has more stretch crosswise for more stretch in your hip area and tummy area. Just a few tips! Hugs and kisses!
N_Vogue said... (8/20/14 4:38 AM) Reply
Continued: you will need to decrease at the adjustment line of the pattern the difference plus or minus)! Make a muslin out of a less expensive fabric in a size 16 rather than 14 and adjust accordingly! I hope this helps in the fitting stage. Of course there are other variables involved but this should help in achieving the fit you may be after based on the pattern design! Sorry for the long post but that's what this site is about, encouraging and helping! Great job and stay at it, we all love our craft!!!!!!
N_Vogue said... (8/20/14 4:31 AM) Reply
Very pretty color combo and congrats on your second review! Because this pattern is sized for stretch knits only keep in mind that there is negative ease meaning fitted to your figure and body proportions. Not being able to see the picture clearly, may I suggest that you also measure your hip length (side length waist to actual hip)? This measurement will also help in the fitting as you may have to increase or decrease the length in this area (i.e. if the hip length of pattern measures 9 inches down from 5/8" seam allowance and our actual hip length is 8 inches

by: JaxOz