Pattern Reviews> Tina Givens> TG-A6026 (Zoe Dress)

Reviewed by:LJane

Pattern Info provided by LJane

Pattern Rating:Recommend, with Modifications
Fabric:Polyester Crepe  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description:
From the website- FAB Zoe dress is a gorgeous multi panel maxi dress. Make this one for the holidays in velvet! Oh my! Make in light or drapey fabric....

Pattern Sizing:
Pattern sizing is XS to L. I made a small. There is some ease to this pattern but it is not an extraordinary amount like some of Tina Given's patterns.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes... I think. I did have to make some modifications. Mainly due to my fabric choice. But the piecing is really nice and just like the pattern photos.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
The instructions are not great. I have sewn a few Tina Given's patterns now and I think her instructions assume you know your way around a sewing pattern. They are very vague. But the order works and everything is drafted well and fits together nicely.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
The piecing is really nice and unusual. And I was really drawn to the airy, bohemian sort of look on the pattern photo. However.... I have come to the realization that I just can't do a dress without a waist. I ended up sewing in a button and loop on the back of the waist seam to cinch the dress in. I also had to shorten the bodice considerably to make the waist seam fall near my actual waist. My poly crepe de chine fabric became really heavy and pulled the waist down lower than I think it should have been. I still can't figure out from the pattern photos whether the dress is supposed to have a dropped waist or not. I think Given's patterns would really benefit from some good line drawings.

Button and Loop

Fabric Used:
A polyester crepe de chine lined with a rayon batiste. Pretty and drape-y but super heavy. Feels pretty extravagant on, though.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
Like I said before, I shortened the bodice considerably (about 3 inches). I also attempted to raise the armholes after the fact and added the button and loop I mentioned before. And I turned my bias to the inside instead of leaving it as a binding.

Dress un-cinched

Dress cinched

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I do want to sew it again. I feel like the pattern deserves another shot. Next summer in a light and airy voile.

Full blog post here

sk8rcruz said... (12/4/14 9:16 AM) Reply
I'm preparing to sew my first Tina Givens project. A freebie Priscilla Slip from the website. Thank you for reviewing this unique pattern!
Deepika said... (8/27/14 11:54 AM) Reply
What a striking dress. I bet you get a lot of compliments on it when you wear it.
sewtime said... (8/26/14 12:26 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress! Love it!
jjhallum said... (8/26/14 11:57 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress. I really like your fabric choice and the button/loop detail you added "make the dress". Great job!
Jupiter, FL said... (8/26/14 11:51 AM) Reply
Exactly what AuntieShel and Debbie Dabbles said -- the button and loop is perfect! What a great idea.
carolynw said... (8/26/14 10:43 AM) Reply
Gorgeous and so eye catching in the nicest way. Really great work!
MrsCharisma said... (8/26/14 10:06 AM) Reply
This is really pretty!!!
ISewedIt said... (8/26/14 6:35 AM) Reply
Beautiful!
Debbie Dabbles said... (8/25/14 11:36 PM) Reply
I agree with AuntieShel, that button back was what made me go WOW! I don't think I would have liked it without. It works from both back and front. Nicely done.
AuntieShel said... (8/25/14 9:58 PM) Reply
Your dress is gorgeous!!! Great idea to do a button and loop to pull the waist in--looks like it is part of the design. Don't know how these patterns have escaped my notice--thanks for pointing them out!!!

BurdaStyle Magazine 12-2008-103