Pattern Reviews> Ottobre Woman Magazine> 05-2014-5 (New Boheme )

Reviewed by:shirleyyoujest

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 4 people
egreen42 said... (8/28/14 3:06 PM) Reply
Cute top!
shirleyyoujest said... (8/28/14 0:51 AM) Reply
Thank you! I love this issue. I cannot wait to make a skirt and other tunic top. Fabric is on order and another review to come!
Rairscat said... (8/27/14 10:23 PM) Reply
Now I see this review :) I'm guessing they had moms ask for the little girl's tunic in adult sizes, because this is exactly like the pocketed tunic from a couple issues back. Definitely on my to-sew list. You look great!
Mufffet said... (8/27/14 11:33 AM) Reply
Great outfit! Great top....this is a good issue....
shirleyyoujest said... (8/27/14 0:57 AM) Reply
Style inspired....I thought it would be a little tricky for that seam where the pockets are, but once you are in the process of sewing it together, it goes together easily. I just put a pin at the point where the pocket begins so I know where to stop sewing along that seam. Then you sew a few top stitches at that point where the pocket begins, which kind of holds the opening down and in place. I hope that makes since. Yes, the pleats are stitched down about 5 inches (10 cm). I think I set my stitch length to about 3 for that. I have a Pfaff with a dual feed foot and it works really well with sewing knits and getting them to feed evenly.
Debbie Dabbles said... (8/26/14 9:08 PM) Reply
Love this tunic. Not ready to banch out beyond beginner yet but I am learning much from reading all theses reviews. Thanks.
style inspired said... (8/26/14 5:46 PM) Reply
Wow you are fast- I just got my copy last week and this is on my to-sew list for fall. Thanks for posting your version. Was it tricky sewing the side pieces to the centre piece in the front where the pockets start? Looks like the box pleats are stitched down for several inches?
GoSewGirl said... (8/26/14 3:27 PM) Reply
Adorable tunic! I love the whole outfit really. Great fabrics and colors. You're quick to sew it up and review so fast! Thanks for sharing and noting about the length. I will likely need to shorten it as well. I have some merino jersey waiting to become this top and I can see myself wearing this outfit throughout the fall and winter!
GoSewGirl said... (8/26/14 3:26 PM) Reply
Adorable tunic! You're quick to sew it up and review so fast! Thanks for sharing and noting about the length. I will likely need to shorten it as well. I have some merino jersey waiting to become this top and I can see myself wearing this outfit throughout the fall and winter!
carolynw said... (8/26/14 3:18 PM) Reply
Looks like an easy to wear top but still is very stylish. Looks great on you.
shirleyyoujest said... (8/26/14 7:03 AM) Reply
Thank you both! I live in Europe so I got my issue last week, so I had a few days to work on this before the U.S. got their issues. I was lucky that I had some fabric on hand to sew up. I was planning on leggings with a top and then when I saw this issue, I new it would be perfect for it!
ISewedIt said... (8/26/14 6:31 AM) Reply
Adorable top! Looks so comfortable too.
SilverBrumby said... (8/26/14 5:41 AM) Reply
You are very quick! I just got this Ottobre issue today in the mail, it's a really good one with lots of casual styles. I will be making this tunic for sure. Yours looks great! Thanks for the review.
shirleyyoujest said... (8/26/14 5:09 AM) Reply
Thank you! Our family loves Ottobre! I have a teenage son and if it weren't for Ottobre, I wouldn't be able to sew for him as much. Their styles are very current and their magazine is just beautiful. There is a learning curve with tracing. The first time I tried it was very difficult and I put the pattern away for a couple of months. I am so glad I was persistent because their patterns are very well drafted. My kids love the patterns so much that they put sticky notes all through the pages of what they would like. :)
catinthehat2 said... (8/26/14 4:43 AM) Reply
Love the whole outfit!! Never tried Ottobre but very tempted now as this is just my style. Could also see DD2 in it.

HotPatterns 1173