Mood Fabrics
Mood Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> Other> 5941 (1920's Fishtail Evening Gown)

Reviewed by:Fleur

About Fleurstar
PA USA
Member since: 12/5/06
Posted on:5/25/08 9:17 PM
Last Updated:5/29/08 10:44 AM

A Badger among the Hawkeyes said... (10/15/09 10:54 PM) Reply
OMG! I learned more about sewing by reading this review than I have in the last 10 years of sewing! you are TRULY an artist, a gifted artist. Your hand drawn illustrations of the pattern steps are phenomenal and your attention to detail and helpful hints ( like the tracing paper) are superb. I don't generally go on like this or even offer reviews, but when I came across this I had to compliment your incredible skills! I will keep track all your reviews from now on-thanks for sharing your talent with us.
AnnMarieJ said... (1/27/09 6:54 PM) Reply
we bow to your goddess-like talents!
ryvm said... (12/27/08 6:18 PM) Reply
Fleur, your dress is absolutely gorgeous! I'm making the same pattern myself – through some miracle I managed to stumble on your review (i'm still not sure how, since I'm using the EvaDress pattern for this dress, so I certainly didn't find it through the pattern number… it might've been a search for silk charmeuse projects) and it's been a godsend through three mockups.  Thank you SO MUCH for the detail & wonderful drawings! Your instructions have been so clear that I've had a pretty easy time through the mockups, even though I'm a self-taught and fairly inexperienced seamstress. There was only one part that I couldn't figure out: I definitely see the problem with the slash points needing reinforcement or additional finishing, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how your slashed patch facing works to provide it. I've tried fooling around with it myself and nothing seems to look quite right after I get past the three steps in your photos. I can't figure out if I'm doing something wrong or if I simply don't understand its fundamental purpose. Do you have any pictures of what the slashed patch looks like when the seam has been finished? It would be such a huge help! Regardless of whether you're able to help me, thank you again for the wonderful review!
firsthays said... (7/31/08 2:44 AM) Reply
Wonderful!! I had a pic of my great gran in a dress simular...a wonderful dress...It will be in my to-do box once I get better at sewing! You gave a wonderful review, and very helpful hints(I copied to word to read again, hope you don't mind!) And I must say, you picked a great color!! Thank-you for all your help, and keep your needle sharp!
wisechick said... (7/22/08 5:18 AM) Reply
Hands down, best review I've ever read here. Period. Amazing dress, but your documentation is the real work of art. Love the sketches! Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing all your trials and tribulations. Though this dress is currently not available in my size, I know I will find this info useful for another project.
punk_rose said... (7/8/08 8:50 PM) Reply
This is gorgeous! I LOVE this color, and the pattern flows and fits the color so well! Wonderful! I thought the first picture was from the pattern, or something!
Kathleen Fasanella said... (6/27/08 3:45 PM) Reply
extraordinarily helpful. VPL should be paying you!
kiddo said... (6/27/08 11:21 AM) Reply
Fab dress!!! It looks effortless on Christina and you. Thank you for all your explanations. Enjoy the dress for a long time!
Primatoidefutile said... (6/8/08 4:27 AM) Reply
This dress looks absolutely fabulous, and your review is also great and very detailed ! I love the color, the fabric, the model, and the belt buckle is such a nice addition that fits perfectly with the rest.
trishapatk said... (6/7/08 8:44 AM) Reply
C'est spectacular! Your sewing is especially impressive since you've only been sewing for three years! You did a tremendous amount of work for the dress and the review and I think you've raised the bar for all of us ... a good thing to do in any venue. My heart went out to you as I read about the hand rolled hem of never-ending torment! You deserve double rewards for that alone ... but for lots of other reasons as well. I'm truly impressed. Keep up the good work!
jlucie said... (6/7/08 8:32 AM) Reply
What an elegant dress! Love the color and medallion addition!
rozzybabe said... (6/5/08 9:18 PM) Reply
The amount of work & patience, especially with extremely difficult fabric, is much to your credit. A really superb job, with lots of specific tips. Will be looking for more details! GREAT job!
lilyofthevalley said... (6/5/08 5:45 PM) Reply
Oh my! To say that you're an artist does not fully cover the situation, here. Your dress is exquisite, as your design choices and your couture hand sewing. This is nothing short of a masterpiece! Viewing your wonderful photos, I felt certain that your friend Christina was on her way to a Speak Easy to sip some Prohibition Tea. Thank you for sharing this Beauty and your inspirational review. -Lily
AnneM said... (6/4/08 5:15 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress, just love the color and it seems to work so well for that style. Congrats!
patrica said... (6/3/08 7:14 PM) Reply
This dress is stunning. Great review too.
Athene said... (6/3/08 2:40 AM) Reply
I love the Art Deco era and Vionnet is one of my favorites too. As everyone has said this dress is absolutely beautiful and definitely try to wear it whenever you can - its too gorgeous to sit in a closet. Also thank you so much for such an indepth review with so many wonderful tips, recommendations and pictures.
sewcrazee said... (6/2/08 9:55 PM) Reply
What a masterpiece... you can wear that with pride I am so envious wish it was in my closet....
JuliN said... (6/1/08 11:57 PM) Reply
What a stunner - the dress is gorgeous!
Em's Summer said... (5/31/08 11:07 PM) Reply
What a great dress! It looks very Great Gatsby-ish!
Kat Holliday said... (5/29/08 8:06 PM) Reply
Wow just Wow! Stunning!
carolynw said... (5/29/08 5:24 PM) Reply
It's all been said so I will just add my WOW! I am bowled over by this dress and your work
Fleur said... (5/29/08 4:02 PM) Reply
Lol, I will definitely have to find a way to keep this dress from being a "hanger ornament", heh. It is fancy enough it's in danger of taking up permanent residency in a closet, unless I lend it people... I sure don't get invited to many formals :/ Things are getting less and less formal these days, even weddings this might seem out of place. I will try though!
edupraz said... (5/29/08 3:58 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress! I really love the color and the girdle detail!
Johanna Lu said... (5/29/08 3:28 PM) Reply
Wow, what an amazing piece of work! And a very helpful review indeed. The dress is a total stunner, don't think I have ever seen such a great home sewn version of a 20's dress before. Gawd this dress makes me wish I was at least 5'6 and didn't have so much inward and outward curves going on on my body...
Karen6790 said... (5/29/08 1:26 PM) Reply
Wow. The wealth of detail in your review is topped only by the beauty of your dress. Thank you. And I know the joy of making things for the sake of making them, but this really needs to be taken out and shown off. Bravo.
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (5/29/08 12:27 PM) Reply
Of course it is wonderful to create works of art for arts sake, but I'm glad this beauty gets a chance to leave the house and be shown off, lol. I'd love to see this in the pages of Threads.
Irene said... (5/29/08 11:43 AM) Reply
Stunning. What an accomplishment: line, color, and drape that highlight your beauty, plus impeccable craftsmanship. Thank you, too, for the wonderful sewing lesson.
yorkshire lass said... (5/29/08 10:59 AM) Reply
Stunning dress and extremely helpful and thorough review. Thank you.
Fleur said... (5/29/08 10:07 AM) Reply
Cathy Loves Fabric; Well a black tie reception next month; but it doesn't matter to me really- creating it was an experience (learning and otherwise) and I really enjoyed it. I think of it much in the same way as I think of a painting, paintings don't technically have a function beyond being admired but they still have value to us. Though, I do have a black tie affair coming up so it will get some practical use (my relatives are used to me dressing flamboyantly). Mostly, though, it's purpose is much more mundane than all of that. It's just a sample for any seamstress type work I may apply for, like a couple other of the more fancy things I have made. That, and it's just fun to do;)
nancy2001 said... (5/29/08 9:10 AM) Reply
Phenomenal dress and photo. When they remake The Great Gatsby, you can play Daisy Buchanan in that dress.
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (5/29/08 3:23 AM) Reply
Now I may have missed this somewhere in the review, but what are you going to DO with this gorgeous garment? To what fabulous affair will you wear this dress?
SewLil said... (5/28/08 1:08 PM) Reply
This whole review is just amazing! Maybe the best one I've ever read. You put so much time into your piece and educating the rest of us. Thanks! This is just perfection!
Lily Cat said... (5/28/08 10:47 AM) Reply
Absolutely beautiful!! My grandmother, may she rest in peace, always ironed silks in between two linen tea towels. (Of course, this presumes the availability of linen tea towels...). I seem to recall a cach of tissue paper (the wrapping kind) in with the tea towels. Which is to say: You have rediscovered the secrets of our foremothers. Good for you!!!!
Sew4Fun said... (5/28/08 6:06 AM) Reply
Beautiful gown! The medallion and fabric choice really make it.
meli88a said... (5/27/08 2:40 PM) Reply
this is amazing and beautiful - both you and your friend look great in it.
Fleur said... (5/27/08 10:13 AM) Reply
Thank you all so much for all of your wonderful comments! You guys are great. It means so much to me :) I worked like a slave on this and it really pleases me to bits to see that my work wasn't in vain after all. I really hope that by making clearer instructions someone else will try this great pattern. Thanks also for the great tip, Lazy Milliner. I am definitely going to try that! I am going to be drawing up illustrated instructions today.
squirrellypoo said... (5/27/08 7:09 AM) Reply
wow this is STUNNING. I just can't get over how beautiful this is. Your tips for silk charmeuse are very much appreciated, too.
MB at YarnUiPhoneApp said... (5/26/08 9:25 PM) Reply
re the spray starch, Hancocks Spray Stabilizer (usually used for quilting) would work better than starch...less likely to burn and flake.
Mary Stiefer said... (5/26/08 3:48 PM) Reply
WOW - WOW - WOW - right out of the 20's and fabulous.
Jacqui315 said... (5/26/08 2:58 PM) Reply
Goregeous!
Kay Y said... (5/26/08 1:54 PM) Reply
Fabulous!
ncegbu said... (5/26/08 12:37 PM) Reply
That is a gorgeous gown! Thanks for posting such an extensive review & tutorial. I've saved your photo tutorial on finding grain in slippery fabrics! -Nneka
Heatherrique said... (5/26/08 11:18 AM) Reply
This dress is such a showstopper! Exquisitely beautiful!
jhansby said... (5/26/08 10:25 AM) Reply
Absolutely gorgeous!!!
Sadlesor said... (5/26/08 10:04 AM) Reply
Must agree, best review I have read. Looking forward to reading more as you post. Your dress is fabulous. Has me looking to see it there is a design I would like to give a try. Would make a great summer challenge/project.
ndesimon said... (5/26/08 8:54 AM) Reply
Holy COW - thanks for sharing your gorgeous dress with us - and congratulations on a job well done!
Sew_Creative said... (5/26/08 7:26 AM) Reply
Thank you for all the pictures and for all the info. in your review I think this is the best review I have read yet, and your dress is a work of art great job.
Darla in PA said... (5/26/08 7:23 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress! thank you for sharing.
MagpieJen said... (5/26/08 1:17 AM) Reply
That's fantastic! And really helpful too - I was actually thinking of getting this pattern from VPLL. It's so nice to see a finished version!
CynthiaSue said... (5/26/08 0:48 AM) Reply
this color is so amazing-not a flat royal blue, something much more stunning and irridescent. This looks like Keira Knightly's famous dress in "Atonement". The jewelry piece is so decadent and well chosen. you are an artist.
Annette1 said... (5/26/08 0:15 AM) Reply
What a showpiece! Thank you for this very detailed and interesting review, and especially all the pictures. Your dress is truly stunning.
michellep74 said... (5/25/08 11:56 PM) Reply
Absolutely jaw-droppingly stunning! All of your hard work with this really paid off!
Twinset said... (5/25/08 11:48 PM) Reply
Your hard work paid off - you sewed a beautiful dress! Beautiful color too, and impeccable workmanship! The dress exudes passion and your friend seems to be ready to dance the tango in it!
ShirleyW said... (5/25/08 11:40 PM) Reply
Just adorable!
Elona said... (5/25/08 11:30 PM) Reply
What a terrific, informative review, and the finished product is simply lovely!
Gelbean said... (5/25/08 11:23 PM) Reply
Your dress is incredible. I love dresses from this era. Thank you for the very informative and helpful review.
Allie in Hong Kong said... (5/25/08 11:13 PM) Reply
Stunning dress. Amazing workmanship too, and I love the medallion detail.
mastdenman said... (5/25/08 11:06 PM) Reply
Wow. It looks great. Congratulations.
washer_woman said... (5/25/08 10:40 PM) Reply
Absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for the great review!
Peacock Chic said... (5/25/08 10:36 PM) Reply
Good grief that is a GORGEOUS dress. And thanks for the wonderful blow by blow action!
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (5/25/08 10:35 PM) Reply
Absolutely fabulous. You look ready for the Orient Express, a Murder Mystery or a turn of the century around the world cruise. Wonderful creation.
CA Eisenhour said... (5/25/08 10:16 PM) Reply
I am truly "blown away!" Outstanding workmanship, fabulous fit, utterly GORGEOUS! Looks like a "winner" to me! Your handstiching is magnificent! ~Connie
NanKaye said... (5/25/08 10:02 PM) Reply
Oh that is stunning! I can really see the effort you put into making this dress, and boy was it worth it! Congratulations.
Kellie R. said... (5/25/08 9:48 PM) Reply
This is so beautiful! The color is just stunning! Your friend looks great modeling it for you! Great job!
Erica B. said... (5/25/08 9:38 PM) Reply
OMG! That dress is utterly amazing! You look absolutely stunning!
Speech girl said... (5/25/08 9:30 PM) Reply
What a stunning dress.
Meggie LuLu said... (5/4/08 0:18 AM) Reply
That dress is SOOO COOL!!!!
goldesdottar said... (5/3/08 9:50 PM) Reply
Love the plan. The "thing" is great - looks like an underwater creature!

StyleArc Twiggy Dress