Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 9333 (OOP from 1953) (Misses Dress and Jacket)

Reviewed by:Kellie R.

About Kellie R.starstar
Member since: 7/4/07
Posted on:5/18/08 3:39 PM
Last Updated:5/30/08 9:15 AM

adrianna1973 said... (5/13/09 12:51 PM) Reply
Wonderful outfit. Love the jacket - it looks great together. I especially loved the buttons and handmade lace.
trishapatk said... (6/10/08 4:16 PM) Reply
You did such a beautiful job on the construction of these two pieces. I loved reading about the details and seeing good close up shots of them. Sorry to hear that you wanted to buy the same pattern as I did ... but I am glad that you found something so very nice from that same era. Having the jacket to go with the dress makes it all the more special and showcases your abilities even more fully. Thanks for keeping the bar raised so nice and high ... and a wonderful submission and review!
Primatoidefutile said... (6/8/08 4:35 AM) Reply
The outfit looks really great, and the finishing touches are beautiful !
lilyofthevalley said... (6/5/08 4:08 PM) Reply
Kellie, I'm *flabbergasted* with this presentation. The dress, the jacket, the crochet trim detail, the perfection of construction, the integrity to era ... ah, the Beauty! Your review is unparalleled in its depth, and if your shoes feel damp, that would be me drooling over them. GLORIOUS! I bow in deference, Lily
CarolynGM said... (6/4/08 4:09 PM) Reply
Your ensemble is a work of art. I just love your crocheted edging for the skirt lining.
Birgitte said... (6/2/08 1:47 PM) Reply
What a gorgeous outfit! This style looks amazing on you- truly deserving of your name ;-) Congratulations, outstanding job!
solosmocker said... (5/31/08 7:27 PM) Reply
Great, great outfit! Your review was incredible at describing your process of making this dress and jacket. Your attention to detail makes my heart beat fast. Good luck in the contest.!
Fine Fabrics said... (5/31/08 5:29 PM) Reply
Great job of fitting and construction. I find it difficult to get a halter bust line uniform and flattering. You did a fabulous job.
Annette1 said... (5/31/08 1:06 AM) Reply
What a FABULOUS outfit! I thought the dress was great, THEN I saw it with the jacket, and it took it to a whole new level. :o) You look beautiful in this style, no doubt about it! Thanks for including all the great pictures.
sewing addict said... (5/30/08 5:18 PM) Reply
Beautiful outfit. Great review. Gorgeous pictures. So vintage!
mylittleelephant said... (5/30/08 3:25 PM) Reply
Totally agree with karen6790 as above, this dress is elegant and sexy for grown-ups, thanks for the review and great photos too.
Karen6790 said... (5/30/08 1:34 PM) Reply
Gorgeous. I love the fit of the halter top - why can't they still design clothes that sexy that don't require either a 20 year old body or drastic underwear? This is subtle and an absolute knockout. Bravo.
MagpieJen said... (5/30/08 12:30 PM) Reply
I'm really a fan of the jacket and the crochet trim! I think they add a lot to the look - and the look is fantastic all round! :)
Speech girl said... (5/30/08 12:27 PM) Reply
So beautiful--wow!
nancy2001 said... (5/29/08 8:50 AM) Reply
duplicate post
nancy2001 said... (5/29/08 8:41 AM) Reply
Spectacular and iconic dress. All we need is the subway grating from Marilyn's scene in the Seven Year Itch.
betty in the kitchen said... (5/27/08 7:28 PM) Reply
A beautiful work of art. thankyou for sharing
Kellie R. said... (5/26/08 6:27 PM) Reply
Thank you SO MUCH ladies - It means a lot to me to know that you enjoyed this review. Rhonda, yes! I'm wearing a convertible bra with this. It's one where the straps can be regular, halter, cross-back or strapless. The back of the dress is high enough and the neckline does not plunge too low - it's sexy without being revealing and allowing coverage/support!
Rhonda in Montreal said... (5/26/08 4:27 PM) Reply
Beautiful outfit!! Are you able to wear a convertible or strapless bra with the dress?
Debbie Cook said... (5/25/08 11:42 AM) Reply
What a wonderful dress and jacket! You look so very timelessly chic! And the shoes!! How perfect are they with this??
MagpieJen said... (5/25/08 1:57 AM) Reply
I notice in your profile you mention how you were looking forward to doing up a vintage pattern - and here you are! You're nailing it - a classic, fun, ladylike pattern and you look fabulous!
Kat Holliday said... (5/23/08 9:19 AM) Reply
So gorgeous and it looks great on you!
DorothyK said... (5/22/08 9:33 AM) Reply
Gorgeous outfit. Impeccable work. Thank you for this terrific review.
cindyann said... (5/22/08 8:42 AM) Reply
Fantastic! I just adore it! I lurve your fabric choices. It's really just amazing.
Michelle L said... (5/21/08 10:16 PM) Reply
Thank you for a great review, so detailed! Amazing dress, I love it.
EveS said... (5/21/08 9:57 PM) Reply
Beautiful work, Kellie! I REALLY love the look w/ the jacket...just perfect! And thanks for the over-the-top-helpful review. Bonus points all around! :)
CA Eisenhour said... (5/21/08 10:45 AM) Reply
Kellie, Your dress is just magnificent! You diid a remarkable job on both the dress and jacket and your review is AWESOME! Love those covered buttons! Good luck in the contest!!!
Kellie R. said... (5/20/08 7:38 AM) Reply
Thanks so much for all of your very kind comments. This was such a pleasure to make!
Twinset said... (5/19/08 6:59 PM) Reply
Beautiful, beautiful dress! It suits you perfectly!
Mary Stiefer said... (5/19/08 5:15 PM) Reply
What a beautiful ensemble. Your detail work is just amazing.
LindsayT said... (5/19/08 3:00 PM) Reply
What a classic vintage look. I just love this entire ensemble!
maryfrana said... (5/19/08 10:10 AM) Reply
Absolutely splendid! Love everything. Love it with the jacket. The crocheted edging...just too much. This is just so beautiful and looks so fresh and modern. Beautiful beautiful job.
AnneMarie60 said... (5/19/08 8:56 AM) Reply
Amazing results! I so enjoyed every word and photo of your marvelous review! Even from the back, this dress is a show-stopper! Every detail is perfect. The hand-crocheted lace brought tears to my eyes. You must feel like a princess in this dress. Thanks so much for taking the time to write this detailed review.
carolynw said... (5/19/08 8:35 AM) Reply
Classic - you look ready to walk the runway!
NanKaye said... (5/19/08 7:17 AM) Reply
It is a lovely dress, and I particularly like that the back is not too low. Very becoming. The only thing wrong with vintage patterns is deciding which to make! Thanks for the great review.
yorkshire lass said... (5/19/08 6:33 AM) Reply
Kellie, we need a rating for "incredibly, helpful" for this review. It's great. And as for the dress and jacket. ... WOW! Just gorgeous. And so impeccably finished and fitted. I am in awe of the whole outfit, and particularly love the jacket.
2BSewing said... (5/19/08 6:01 AM) Reply
Wow!!! Your jacket and dress is gorgeous! Perfect fabric and colors. Thank you for providing the many tips and pictures. Enjoyed your review.
Danvillegirl said... (5/19/08 5:32 AM) Reply
Lovely creation!
Jennifer shaw said... (5/19/08 0:23 AM) Reply
Thank you for writing such a great review!! what a wonderfully gorgeous and fabulous ensemble!!! This is just what I need- more inspiration to start sewing some of the vintage patterns that I am collecting!!
jhansby said... (5/18/08 10:30 PM) Reply
Lovely!!
Meggie LuLu said... (5/18/08 9:57 PM) Reply
That looks ADORABLE!!!!! I LOVE the silhouette!!!! Great job!!!!!
MissCelie said... (5/18/08 7:24 PM) Reply
Kellie, I LOVE it. The jacket and dress together are darling! Way to set the bar!
nellc said... (5/18/08 6:54 PM) Reply
This is such a beautiful dress and jacket. Your attention to detail is wonderful with the choice of fabrics and finishes and hand crocheted lace edging on the skirt lining too! You look stunning in this.
Aixoise said... (5/18/08 5:55 PM) Reply
Too beautiful. I kept saying "Wow!" with each photo - like a broken record (speaking of vintage). Your craftsmanship is exquisite, and the results are stunning . This is a perfect style for you. The glimpses of the guidesheets made me nostalgic for sewing with those patterns way back when.
Heatherrique said... (5/18/08 5:51 PM) Reply
Ahh Kellie!!!! You captured the essence of Audrey H., Marilyn M, Grace K and Charlize Theron in this breathtaking dress and jacket! Your work is marvelous and inspiring! I mentioned it before and I will mention it again, you remind me of a young and gorgeous Jessica Walter (such an underrated and superb actress!) Again fresh and sizzling take on a classic style!
QuiltersFan said... (5/18/08 5:28 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress and jacket. Great review, love the details - thanks.
Em's Summer said... (5/18/08 5:21 PM) Reply
What a wonderful dress! It looks divine! And it's so perfectly sewn! Just wonderful!
CynthiaSue said... (5/18/08 5:15 PM) Reply
well it is SO NICE to finally see your cute little face in something!! I was wondering who you were!! This was so fun to read. I enjoyed combing over every detail imagining your work. You worked sooo hard. The attention to detail is spectacular. I really love this mustardy cotton-gives the right vintage feel. Congratulations. So did you wear it to the concert??!!
fabeins said... (5/18/08 4:55 PM) Reply
That's gorgeous. Although I haven't a hope of getting my entry done in time for the contest, I'm inspired by yours!
Sharon M said... (5/18/08 4:16 PM) Reply
Love it! You look fabulous wearing it. After sewing my first vintage (1951) pattern, I find the details provided in the instructions exciting also.
Mahler said... (5/18/08 4:06 PM) Reply
What a superb out fit. Jacket and dress together, you look like a movie star Bravo !

by: PattyE