Pattern Reviews> Other> 4592 (Printed Pattern (OOP Vintage))

Reviewed by:Johanna Lu

About Johanna Lustarstar
SWEDEN
Member since: 11/3/03
Posted on:5/29/08 2:06 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 6 people
jlucie said... (6/7/08 8:16 AM) Reply
Terrific dress and details! Love how you kept the notions authentic and even sewed it on a vintage machine! The fabric is a perfect. Beautiful job!
lilyofthevalley said... (6/5/08 3:46 PM) Reply
Johanna, Your pretty and timeless dress is so beautifully sewn and perfectly modified to your individual body type. It looks marvelous, and yes, surprisingly modern. It sounds like the horrible instructions may have stopped a less determined creator. Thank heavens you had your sloper for reference. This is extremely lovely, Lily
AnneM said... (6/4/08 5:25 PM) Reply
Well, who would have thought from the picture that this caused you so many headaches? !! You did a great job. Congratulations on the dress and your determination.
ITAdmin said... (6/3/08 12:59 PM) Reply
The details on this are great. I think the seersucker is a perfect fabric for it.
bell N said... (6/3/08 7:51 AM) Reply
Lovely and simple, but such great vintage details.
Lori V said... (6/1/08 9:27 AM) Reply
This is such a wonderful dress with incredible details. Your hard work paid off in a darling dress.
blue mooney said... (6/1/08 8:38 AM) Reply
Super, super, super work! I always like your design choices. "looks distinct and timeless at the same time" - that's exactly right. This is so wearable - not costume-y at all.
Em's Summer said... (5/31/08 11:18 PM) Reply
Despite the bad instructions, you did a great job on this adorable dress!
fryman said... (5/30/08 2:33 PM) Reply
It's a classic!
Kellie R. said... (5/30/08 9:09 AM) Reply
This turned out great. I'm glad the instructions didn't deter you from finishing. Very cute dress.
Nancy K said... (5/30/08 8:21 AM) Reply
This looks amazingly modern. It is flattering and lovely on you.
Johanna Lu said... (5/30/08 1:24 AM) Reply
Morzel, yes, the skirt is a slightly a-line, (maybe 2 cm) whereas on the drawing it looks almost tapered. I am glad it was that way, while I love the look of tapered skirts, I do appreciate the room of movement! Magpiejen, you caught me, forgot to say that in the review (I will add it) apart from taking away an inch for my 5'3 frame I also took away 1,5 inch more to get the proportions right (mid calf makes me look really short legged)
MagpieJen said... (5/29/08 8:27 PM) Reply
That is so sharp! Wow - I am impressed with your ability to tailor and modify, I might have to look more seriously at doing a sloper! Anyway - it looks great and, like you say, so versatile! I'm curious whether the original pattern actually had that short a hem? If you chose to raise it a bit, I second the decision :-), you can pull off above-the-knee!
sew42mom said... (5/29/08 7:42 PM) Reply
Your dress looks great! Vintage, yet still a modern look.
Beek said... (5/29/08 5:23 PM) Reply
Looks so comfortable and professional. I love shirt dresses!
AquariJenn said... (5/29/08 5:06 PM) Reply
Cute dress! It does look very modern. You did an excellent job with the fitting.
morzel said... (5/29/08 4:45 PM) Reply
Nice work! Very cool dress. The skirt doesn´t look as narrow though as on the envelope (which I rather like). I especially like the broad button placket.
wvsher said... (5/29/08 3:35 PM) Reply
You did a great job on your cute shirtdress despite the shoddy instructions. Thanks for the review!
Speech girl said... (5/29/08 3:01 PM) Reply
Your hard work payed off--your dress is lovely.

by: monicawood...