Pattern Reviews> Other> 1286 (Vintage Mail Order (1933-1935))

Reviewed by:MagpieJen

About MagpieJenstar
Member since: 2/22/05
Posted on:5/29/08 3:55 PM
Last Updated:5/29/08 6:41 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 26 people
Anabolina said... (6/29/08 0:21 AM) Reply
Wow, awesome job. I love theser 30s styles.
piffle said... (6/24/08 6:36 AM) Reply
I love this pattern. Must scour web to find it. thanks for the review!
ButtonLady said... (6/16/08 12:58 PM) Reply
So exciting to see an NRA pattern example-executed so wonderfully-great fabric-design/color choice-including the correct period embellishments>the shell buckle-likely manufactured Mississippi/adjoining River area-perhaps Muscatine Iowa.. Did you know one of the NRA-National Recovery Act-programs manufactured buttons? I have a large wood button with NRA embossed on the back.. Lots of history details are found by looking at the back..or in the case of garments-turning them inside-out. Chris-the ButtonLady
Costumista said... (6/10/08 10:12 PM) Reply
This is an incredible work of art! Your matching and detailing is extraordinary! The fabric you chose is gorgeous, and so timeless! Enjoy it!
sewingwithmysisters said... (6/9/08 7:40 AM) Reply
Love the dress!
Primatoidefutile said... (6/8/08 4:41 AM) Reply
The dress is lovely, and I like the change of direction in the front fabric very much. It brings out the particularity of the pattern.
KathleenS said... (6/8/08 3:48 AM) Reply
Great work, especially with the plaid. You look very cute and vintage in your photo. I think you did the right thing with the yoke - I've made a couple of the modern Vintage Vogue reissues with that kind of inset corner and the instructions say to topstitch it in place (which I hate doing too).
jlucie said... (6/7/08 7:58 AM) Reply
Beautiful job! Stunning detail, lovely fabric and perfect pattern choice for your figure. The buckle really adds to the vintage style of the dress. Thanks for the link also!
Kbenco said... (6/5/08 7:32 PM) Reply
I love all your photographs, your dress suits you so well. I, too, admire your excellent work with the plaid matching, tucks and chevron at the front. Thank you for your terrific review.
lilyofthevalley said... (6/5/08 6:35 PM) Reply
MagpieJen, I'm so impressed with your artistic version of a vintage classic; it's truly beautiful! Your plaid treatment and matching is masterful, and adds the fashion pizzazz to this timeless dress. Thank you for sharing all those photos, in which you are a Vision from the Forties! Truly lovely, Lily
rozzybabe said... (6/5/08 6:09 PM) Reply
Not only a fantastic job, but great interpretation of vintage patterns. Thanks for the vintage web source; I've stashed in my favourites. You've given me courage to really try vintage!
DeniseF said... (6/4/08 9:20 PM) Reply
very nice work, thanks for the tips on vintage patterns
AnneM said... (6/4/08 4:58 PM) Reply
I can just see you playing tennis in this. (!!) It is a lovely dress, great style. Your fabric choice was excellent for showing the design features of this dress.
morzel said... (6/4/08 2:25 AM) Reply
Wonderful dress, great way of pattern placement. Also the fabric looks good with this pattern!
jent said... (6/3/08 3:46 PM) Reply
This is a beautiful dress! It fits you absolutely perfectly and you look fantastic in it. What a lovely job you have done!
MarilynB said... (6/3/08 8:06 AM) Reply
I like your solution to the gathers substituting tucks instead and the bias binding gives the dress a much more finished look. Thanks for the information on dealing with vintage patterns. This is an outstanding dress!!
bell N said... (6/3/08 7:49 AM) Reply
I love the simplicity of the this dress. I can see a 'real' woman wearing this on a summer day. you really had to work hard to put this together, and I admire you for going for the true vintage look. I'm trying to narrow down my vote for the vintage contest, and this is certainly one of the top 5. So hard to choose.
trishapatk said... (6/2/08 5:40 PM) Reply
You look great in it! What a nice dress ... vintage in the best of ways because it has such timeless appeal. I ran into a situation similar to your yoke one where you were expected to stitch it down from the front. I added piping so that I could stitch in the ditch. It doesn't lend itself to every style but I thought it was better than topstitching something down where you don't want topstitching. Back to your dress though, you did a great job on both the dress and the review. Thanks for all the work you put into the review.
MissCelie said... (6/2/08 4:50 PM) Reply
What a great, sweet and fun dress!
Birgitte said... (6/2/08 1:40 PM) Reply
A woman after my own heart :-) You look fabulous in this, just beautiful, classy, elegant, chic... all the lovely things that makes Art Deco timeless.
merteuil said... (6/2/08 2:23 AM) Reply
Such a lovely dress. Every detail is just perfect!
Kaitlinnegan said... (6/1/08 11:48 PM) Reply
Just lovely! What else can I say? The matching of the plaid is truly impressive.
blue mooney said... (6/1/08 8:51 AM) Reply
This dress is fantastic. Love your pattern choice, fabric, photo....I want one of my own!
Em's Summer said... (5/31/08 11:05 PM) Reply
Your dress is so cute and looks very '30s! I especially like plaid treatment! Looks very polished! Great job!
MagpieJen said... (5/31/08 12:18 PM) Reply
Thank you so much for your kind words, every one of your comments means so much me! It's so good to be active on PR again. You've all given me a lot of inspiration!
Fine Fabrics said... (5/31/08 11:23 AM) Reply
Very cute. I love that silhouette. It is so flattering and your choice of fabric is as stunning as it is classic. You will be able to wear this sundress every year until it disintegrates.
Danvillegirl said... (5/31/08 8:20 AM) Reply
I truly love the look of this dress. Great job with the fabric choice. Looks stunning on you!
nursesarah79 said... (5/31/08 2:28 AM) Reply
I really really love this dress. It looks great on you too. I agree with you on the fact that this dress is a lot better than any old baby doll dress. Such a timeless design. I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for all the details! You did an awesome job on matching the plaids. I would have never had the patience that you had! Your review and garment are a big A++++ in my book.
vespabelle said... (5/30/08 9:47 PM) Reply
Love it! Thanks of the amazing pics and detailed descriptions! You look fabulous!
Heatherrique said... (5/30/08 9:02 PM) Reply
I adore your version of this classic pattern! You look exquisitely captivating and radiant, capturing the essence of 30's glamour intermingled with exciting modern appeal! You did a stellar job of plaid placement, especially at the center giving a chevron effect. Overall, wonderful!
mylittleelephant said... (5/30/08 1:33 PM) Reply
This is REALLY REALLY elegant and I love the way you are wearing this, I would love to get this pattern now, thank you for the review!
Luckylibbet said... (5/30/08 12:37 PM) Reply
STUNNING! ITA with you that vintage patterns use fabric and cut to create simple yet interesting garments. Thanks for sharing all those lovely photos. And your work is impeccable - you matched all those stripes perfectly - and the tuck front and back is pure genius.
Speech girl said... (5/30/08 11:38 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress--it is just perfect for your figure.
Rustybobn said... (5/30/08 9:59 AM) Reply
Awesome! Just Awesome--both your dress and the review. Thanks for sharing it with us.
wvsher said... (5/30/08 9:15 AM) Reply
Lovely dress! You did a fantastic job on it and it looks great on you. Thanks for hte informative review.
Kellie R. said... (5/30/08 9:07 AM) Reply
This is so cute! You did a great job on this and the plaid is matched so well! Thanks for the fantastic review!
LastChael said... (5/30/08 2:24 AM) Reply
It looks fantastic! Such a gorgeous dress, you wouldn't think it was just a casual affair at all! Love the work you did on pattern matching!
CASJ said... (5/30/08 0:24 AM) Reply
I love everything about this, down to your hat and shoes - you look so cute! Great job!
sew42mom said... (5/29/08 8:14 PM) Reply
Absolutely gorgeous! Love the chevron effect on the front. You look very '30s glamourous.
Meggie LuLu said... (5/29/08 6:44 PM) Reply
That is ADORABLE!!!! I LOVE your fabric choice; it's PERFECT!!!! You did an AWESOME job at matching up your stripes!!!!!
mastdenman said... (5/29/08 4:55 PM) Reply
Beautiful summer dress.
Flying Seamstress said... (5/29/08 4:50 PM) Reply
This is a lovely design and you've done a wonderful interpretation. Great and unique summer dress!
Johanna Lu said... (5/29/08 4:36 PM) Reply
Such a pretty dress and it fits great on you. Love the way you utilized the plaids on the seersucker
Mufffet said... (5/29/08 4:28 PM) Reply
What a lovely dress this is, and your detailing is superb. :)
Understanding Interfacings