Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 9857 vintage OOP

About maryfranastarstarstar
Member since: 3/20/04
Posted on:5/30/08 11:40 PM
Primatoidefutile said... (6/8/08 5:06 AM) Reply
You made a beautiful coat ! This is another case where I saw this type of patterns before and wondered how one could wear this kind of coat, but it looks great and so wearable and I might go looking for one also...
lilyofthevalley said... (6/5/08 5:59 PM) Reply
Maryfrana, you are a Vision of Loveliness in your vintage ensemble! Your fabric choices, pattern choices, exquisite sewing techniques, accessories - all leave me breathless! I do hope you'll find many occasions to don your Passions from the Past, as it is now your responsibility to display your beautiful self to as many people as possible. THIS is how a real Lady should look! -Lily
AnneM said... (6/4/08 5:16 PM) Reply
What a lovely coat. It is so classy and graceful.
Athene said... (6/3/08 3:14 AM) Reply
You look so beautiful. The coat is absolutely exquisite. Thank you for all the wonderful pictures and the great review. So much time, patience and effort is evident in your review - this is definitely an example of vintage at its very best.
aunt saidee said... (6/2/08 12:12 PM) Reply
I am speechless. This is yet another incredible ensemble in your wardrobe of Mary Fran Retro Originals. Absolutely stunning. I can't wait to see this one up close and personal! Your review is wonderfully comprehensive: I am intrigued by the hand-worked lining and the results you report.
stat_princess said... (6/2/08 2:57 AM) Reply
Mary Fran - This is fantastic work!! I can't wait to get a close up in person look at the handwork. I am a HUGE fan of the ginormous pockets - one can never have enough with modern clothes and this is stylish and functional. Also, I 'd like to say that the photography is well done - you're a natural!
Kellie R. said... (6/1/08 11:45 PM) Reply
This is so beautiful! I can see why you have loved this pattern for so long and how great that you found the perfect fabric. I'm impressed that you hand stitched the entire lining. The results are worth it. Just perfect; I hope you are enjoying wearing your beautiful coat to Midsummer Night's Dream!
Em's Summer said... (5/31/08 10:41 PM) Reply
I love love LOVE this!!! You look beautiful in it! And what a dramatic pic! It makes me feel like I've taken a step back in time and reminds me of Kim Novak's clothes in Vertigo. This is just gorgeous!
wvsher said... (5/31/08 9:29 PM) Reply
Lovely ensemble, and what an adorable pattern!
Speech girl said... (5/31/08 11:38 AM) Reply
Your outfit is beautiful--love the contrast of the red dress with the coat. Great job!
MissCelie said... (5/31/08 8:25 AM) Reply
This is STUNNING. I am in awe of your ensemble. Way to follow the intent and vision of the contest with all the handwork and non-fusibles!
carolynw said... (5/31/08 8:23 AM) Reply
Absolutely beautiful - we did really sew with much greater emphasis on the small but important details back then didn't we?
ITAdmin said... (5/31/08 7:25 AM) Reply
Not only a beautiful coat, but such an interesting review. It highlights some of the differences between sewing "back then" and now,
MagpieJen said... (5/31/08 1:04 AM) Reply
Superb! You look classic and sharp - the dress is very nice, but I can see why you love the coat. The coat is special - all that handwork has paid off!
Annette1 said... (5/31/08 0:59 AM) Reply
How stunning you look in this gorgeous ensemble! I LOVE that fabric as detailed in the close-up picture. Boy, that COAT ... I'm in love with it too! With the coordinating dress, it's just perfect!
Understanding Interfacings