Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 2148 (Childs Coat & Hat Vintage OOP)

Reviewed by:CA Eisenhour

About CA Eisenhourstarstar
Member since: 7/22/06
Posted on:5/31/08 8:48 PM
Last Updated:6/6/08 3:21 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 8 people

Aunt Gail said... (6/14/08 9:29 PM) Reply
First - the outfit is gorgeous. The other day I was looking at old family pix out of the early 50's - and I was in, at age 3, a little coat very similar to the one ou just made. Whoever you made it for is a very lucky girl, even if she doesn't realize it yet. However, I do so share your frustration with ravel material. It gets so frustrating that the seamstress can't really appreciate the thing of beauty one makes. So, compliment yourself for sticking with it!
Primatoidefutile said... (6/8/08 4:39 AM) Reply
I think that the ensemble will look absolutely great (even the coat and hat), as each piece is so cute...
lilyofthevalley said... (6/5/08 5:30 PM) Reply
I'm completely 'with' you on the ravel-ly fabric; last year, my DSis begged me to make her a window seat bench/back pillow covers, and then presented me with the *worst* crap poly fabric; I wanted to run away from home and change my name. Now: Ava's precious, vintage coat and hat. These completed beauties might just be worth the pain of dealing w/the fabric. They are glorious! They are authentic to the era, perfectly constructed, and (though boring to sew) the color of the fabric will enchantingly enhance Ava's fair coloring. Superb! -Lily
AnneM said... (6/4/08 5:27 PM) Reply
I agree, it is adorable (even if it was torture to amke).
Lori V said... (6/2/08 10:16 PM) Reply
This is so gorgeous, don't be so down on yourself, I think the entire set is darling.
trishapatk said... (6/2/08 5:26 PM) Reply
What a charming little set! I think that the subtle color also looks quite lovely. You deserve extra credit for finishing something that was so frustrating to you. All in all, I truly think it is adorable with the sweet little hat and none of the pink frills that often make up little girl outfits. Good job ConnieAnne! Keep up the good work!
Mahler said... (6/2/08 12:38 PM) Reply
I am sad you had all those problems with that fabric. As other said, this coat is gorgeous !!
EveS said... (6/2/08 0:49 AM) Reply
So tell us how you really feel about this project, Connie! lol. My first thought when I saw the thumbnail was "I want one!" but allow me to retract that...I wouldn't want to push you over the edge. ;) But seriously, it really is a lovely little coat. I just love the buttons and bh's!!
Kellie R. said... (6/1/08 11:40 PM) Reply
OMG - this is just so sweet. After seeing the pictures, I was surprised to read that you were unhappy with it. It's so classic and pretty. Great job me thinks!
wvsher said... (6/1/08 10:52 PM) Reply
I love the look of both the jacket and the hat. They look so professionally made, the fabric looks substantial, and both pieces have loads of vintage charm. I hope you will like them better after some time has passed.
Speech girl said... (6/1/08 10:36 PM) Reply
The jacket and hat are so lovely.
Tiner W said... (6/1/08 7:53 PM) Reply
The outfit looks so perfect, I would never have guessed that you had any trouble with it! Bravo for finishing!
MagpieJen said... (6/1/08 12:56 PM) Reply
Oh - I hope you grow to love this little outfit, once you put some distance between yourself and the pains of making it - 'cause it really is darling! I even like the hat! I'll wear it if Ava doesn't ;-)
Heatherrique said... (6/1/08 10:07 AM) Reply
This is the ensemble that I could not wait to see: breathtakingly beautiful beyond words! I am so sorry about the nature of the fabric and that you are not pleased with the darling looking pieces. Despite your challenges, impressive work on these!
minggiddylooloo said... (6/1/08 10:07 AM) Reply
This coat is absolutely adorable, and the hat doesn't look bad either. Good luck in the contest.
mewiththree said... (6/1/08 8:49 AM) Reply
Well, for all your difficulties, I think it turned out beautiful! Even the color of the fabric looks really retro! I can almost visualize a little girl wearing this long ago! I really commend your tenacity for finishing this, even though you were disappointed in it!
nglalala said... (6/1/08 1:43 AM) Reply
it looks great!
Em's Summer said... (5/31/08 10:48 PM) Reply
This is just soo adorable! I love sets like this! You did a wonderful job!!!
Linda G said... (5/31/08 9:37 PM) Reply
I think that coat is one of the most darling things I have seen in a long time, and I love the color.
CynthiaSue said... (5/31/08 9:22 PM) Reply
this is wonderful. please don't be down on yourself about it! It is going to be so hard to vote! I LOVE this!!
Meggie LuLu said... (5/31/08 9:02 PM) Reply
That is SOOOO CUTE!!!!! I just LOVE that color green!!! I hope the hat fits.

by: velosewer