Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 4172

Posted on:5/31/08 10:32 PM
Last Updated:6/7/08 10:31 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 22 people
SoVintage said... (5/29/09 5:18 PM) Reply
Just purchased this pattern and hope to get sewing on it in the next month or so, thank you for the tips I will be refering back to them during contruction
Nancywin said... (9/2/08 1:24 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress. Dying it was a great idea.
jillzie said... (6/27/08 10:51 AM) Reply
this dress is lovely. i adore 50's styles they fit my body well and are comfy. the dye job is amazing, looks very authentic . the inter facing looks perfect, glad you called that pattern addition correctly. i would wear a A line crinoline , or make one for it. the undergarments are so important and can make or break a vintage look, very exciting! i lust after this pattern! wish it would be reprinted!
ILF said... (6/9/08 7:31 AM) Reply
The dress is just charming! Beautiful job. It got my vote!
QueenZ said... (6/8/08 8:37 PM) Reply
Marriage of fabric and pattern --- Refreshing!!!
Primatoidefutile said... (6/8/08 4:37 AM) Reply
I would never had thought to make a dress of this shape, but your work is absolutely beautiful, and I think I will be looking for a pattern of this kind...
Mahogany Stylist said... (6/7/08 4:41 PM) Reply
Lovely dress.
Skittl1321 said... (6/7/08 8:34 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress. I especially love the fabric you chose.
jlucie said... (6/7/08 8:11 AM) Reply
Wow! I'm so impressed! Such an artistic creation - I admire how you kept the authenticity of using rayon and dyeing it to achieve the perfect color. It's a perfect style for your figure, very feminine.
Ann Smith said... (6/6/08 12:51 PM) Reply
Perfectly beautiful dress and somehow contemporary looking. The fit is incredible on you.
ConnieBJ said... (6/5/08 6:15 PM) Reply
Love the dress- the pattern,the fabric you chose, the fit on you and the review. First class (and classy too) all the way around. BRAVO!
cathy45 said... (6/5/08 9:58 AM) Reply
This is so beautiful and feminine. You did a lovely job. I also find your dying of the fabric very impressive--dye scares me.
F and L said... (6/5/08 5:53 AM) Reply
That is just staggeringly impressive and beautiful. The pic of you by the tree is soooo utterly lovely.
solosmocker said... (6/4/08 8:54 PM) Reply
Fabulous dress! If only they made feminine dresses like that today. There is something so wonderful in a dress that emphasize all that is womanly about our bodies. Great review.
CurlyCrafter said... (6/4/08 8:29 PM) Reply
Wow! I'm so impressed with your dress and sewing skills. Plus, you look fabulous in it!
AnneM said... (6/4/08 4:55 PM) Reply
Very pretty dress. Great style, and wearable today.
Marji said... (6/3/08 3:54 PM) Reply
What a great review, and I'm so happy to read that sewing with an actual vintage pattern enhanced the whole experience for you. The dress is fabulous. And I think you achieved a nice balance of vintage styling and techniques married to some more contemporary techniques which just made sense. Enjoy wearing it, it's beautiful on you.
Rhonda in Montreal said... (6/3/08 10:07 AM) Reply
Lovely and Feminine!! Yesss!! Do you think there are vintage patterns that do NOT require a tiny waist/flat tummy??
MarshaG. said... (6/3/08 8:12 AM) Reply
OMG!!! I LOVE your dress and you did a fabulous job! The color is great and the details are wonderful. I loved it so much I went shopping for the pattern myself, but didn't find it anywhere! BooHoo! You're a knockout in it!
bell N said... (6/3/08 7:47 AM) Reply
Your choice of fabric for this dress is perfect, along with your patience for the details of sewing. I'm trying to narrow down my vote for the vintage contest, and this is one of the top 5. So hard to choose.
Athene said... (6/3/08 4:28 AM) Reply
Wow I love the dress and it suits your looks so well - you look absolutely gorgeous. The color is lovely and combined with the style it is so alluring.
lilyofthevalley said... (6/2/08 7:40 PM) Reply
Your inspiring review has shown this feminine and flattering dress in a timeless light. Your integrity to the original ways is most appreciated and in fact, you are a Vision in your vintage creation. I think the same design in a straight skirt would make an unspeakably gorgeous LBD. Very lovely, Lily
gatorgirl4325 said... (6/2/08 3:58 PM) Reply
Your dress is absolutely gorgeous!
MagpieJen said... (6/2/08 3:38 PM) Reply
VaVaVoom! I love dyeing fabric too - so this is awesome on many counts! Well done!
Quahog said... (6/2/08 3:19 PM) Reply
I love the energy and sense of play that this accompished artist brings to her work. Wonderful approach to technique; respectful of authenticity, but willing to make (hidden) inprovements that bring the garment even closer to its designer's original vision.
sew42mom said... (6/2/08 2:48 PM) Reply
Umm, I'm full of envy! I want your dress.
EveS said... (6/2/08 12:51 PM) Reply
This is a classic example of the femininity of vintage dresses. It's just lovely!! Beautiful job and great pattern choice!
Luckylibbet said... (6/2/08 11:55 AM) Reply
Soooooo feminine! Your dress turned out wonderfully - and the dye job totally enhances the retro look. Excellent job!
Kellie R. said... (6/2/08 8:35 AM) Reply
I've seen this pattern on ebay, bid on it and lost!!!! It's such a pleasure to see it made up! The fabric is very true and in the vintage spirit, and the dress is very pretty! Great job!
Sigrid. said... (6/2/08 7:50 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress, love all the details. Looks wonderful on you, and you review is very inspiring.
Kaitlinnegan said... (6/1/08 10:45 PM) Reply
What a beautiful dress, and a fantastic vintage pattern! Very unique!
Second Avenue said... (6/1/08 10:08 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress, Trishapatk! How did you find the pattern? Is ebay the best place to look?
wvsher said... (6/1/08 9:54 PM) Reply
Your dress is so beautiful! What a gorgeous pattern that would make for bridesmaids gowns, or any formal event.
CShelley said... (6/1/08 8:43 PM) Reply
Wow! You should be very pleased with yourself. What a great dress! Vintage has style that just doesn't exist in a lot of patterns today. Enjoy wearing it.
pmorris1274 said... (6/1/08 7:48 PM) Reply
This is absolutely lovely! I have some old vinage patterns I bought off ebay as well, along with some rayon from the era that I purchased on Ebay. I am waiting to find the "perfect" vintage pattern to sew it up in. You dress is truly inspiring, and VERY gorgeous. I think dresses of that era were just so much more feminine as well.
kusine said... (6/1/08 4:59 PM) Reply
So beautiful! I love the color you created, too. Fantastic job!
Annette1 said... (6/1/08 2:50 PM) Reply
I have NEVER seen a dress I like as much as this one, EVER, and you're just BEAUTIFUL in it. My beady little eyes homed in on that piping even before I read that that was of your own design. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!
Beek said... (6/1/08 1:30 PM) Reply
Gorgeous dress. Why don't they make patterns like this anymore? :0(
CatMukai said... (6/1/08 1:00 PM) Reply
love it. I bet the straight skirt would look great, too! also, good call on dying it. What did you use?
Kay Y said... (6/1/08 10:53 AM) Reply
Wow - really interesting style that suits you perfectly. I am sure you will enjoy wearing this.
hongkongshopper said... (6/1/08 2:10 AM) Reply
What a beautiful dress!!
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (6/1/08 1:52 AM) Reply
Just beautiful and gorgeous on you.
Cowtown Karen said... (5/31/08 10:51 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress. You did an excellent job.
CA Eisenhour said... (5/31/08 10:49 PM) Reply
Lovely dress Trish! I remember my Mom wearing dresses just like this one. Really brought back some wonderful memories. Beautiful work and a great review.
Meggie LuLu said... (5/31/08 10:40 PM) Reply
That looks SOOO NICE!!!! Great job!!!!!

Favorite Things Ballet Slippers Pattern