Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 08-2009-133 (Men's jacket with pockets)

Reviewed by:Karen6790

About Karen6790starstarstarstar
PA USA
Member since: 3/2/06
Posted on:12/23/09 8:08 PM
Last Updated:12/28/09 1:05 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 19 people
Rhoda K said... (1/26/10 10:01 AM) Reply
Very impressive jacket - DBF is very fortunate!
Bonnie123 said... (1/21/10 3:29 PM) Reply
Nice looking jacket. Can you post more pictures???
Jolet said... (1/20/10 12:10 PM) Reply
I like the review you wrote. What a complicated jacket, you dit a great job. Congratulations with the prize! I regonize all the things you write about the Burda instructions! Sometimes you've to read them over and over again to understand what they mean. The first 6 years after I started sewing I only used Burda and Knip (Dutch magazine) patterns. They both have very difficult instructions. When I used a Vogue pattern for the first time I was surprised about the completely different way Vogue and other pattern companies approached sewing. In Holland Vogue patterns are regarded as very expensive and exclusive. I think it's the other way around about Burda patterns in America!
Mahogany Stylist said... (1/19/10 10:28 AM) Reply
Karen, That is one outstanding looking jacket. I'm sure Mario is over joyed. Two snaps up!!!
Tailypo said... (1/8/10 5:37 PM) Reply
I really love this jacket. Great work!
OP Gal said... (1/8/10 1:23 PM) Reply
Great jacket! DBF looks happy! That's what counts.
CaroleM said... (1/8/10 7:51 AM) Reply
Fabulous job.
emkayloves2sew said... (1/8/10 0:19 AM) Reply
Bravo! Great job on the jacket and the review! I just finished reading your blog as well and how his aunt made him take it off so she could inspect it!! I would NEVER let someone do that on anything I made, but just the thought that someone might is a good reason to aspire for perfection rather than just 'finally done!' that I normally end up at. Also appreciated how much you involved him in the 'process' such as with the pockets and the buttonhole threads. No wonder he is so curious about the contest, LOL!
AnneM said... (1/7/10 9:05 PM) Reply
Congratulations and great job, Karen! The jacket looks great. Wonderful to try out new techniques, and it's always good to give the DH something nice once in a while. :)
voet said... (12/29/09 11:14 AM) Reply
Karen, Thanks for a great review. I especially appreciated the fact that you listed books that you referred to. Also, I was glad that you had close-ups of the fabric you used. The checks were doing crazy things to my eyes in the far away photos.
ryan's mom said... (12/29/09 8:46 AM) Reply
Karen, this jacket is so impressive! What a lucky man he is. I don't dare show my DH or he'll be on my case to sew more for him pronto ;) .
cabinbaby said... (12/28/09 5:30 PM) Reply
Wow! That's a great jacket.
Jane S said... (12/28/09 7:35 AM) Reply
Wow, what a great looking jacket. I would never consider this but your review was so inspiring that it got me wondering....
Heatherrique said... (12/26/09 1:47 PM) Reply
Exquisitely beautiful jacket on your good looking husband. He is proud to wear your jacket, and I see why. You put lots of love, skill, and time into it. This is jacket is a keeper!
frame said... (12/26/09 1:01 PM) Reply
Great looking jacket! Wonderful fit and design.
lmg said... (12/26/09 12:33 PM) Reply
This is a great men's jacket. Kudos to you. He looks fantastic in it. My DH is envious....
Nancy K said... (12/26/09 9:47 AM) Reply
It looked great before, but on Mario is it just fabulous!
Sherril Miller said... (12/26/09 9:20 AM) Reply
I love how his jacket turned out. I hope you're very proud of yourself, especially after the leather collar jacket issues.
ConnieBJ said... (12/26/09 8:56 AM) Reply
The Boy looks oh so good! Wonderful review and great job.
Lori V said... (12/26/09 7:31 AM) Reply
Very handsome jacket, you did a terrific job. thanks for the incredible review.
Ripple Dandelion said... (12/26/09 7:24 AM) Reply
The jacket suits him so well, and it is subtly so different from what we usually see in men's jackets. What a great feeling to take on something ambitious and have it work out well--and in time for Christmas, too.
CynthiaSue said... (12/26/09 0:57 AM) Reply
this is wonderful. i hope he really gets the work it takes, i mean REALLLY gets it! you are so talented.
becca a said... (12/24/09 10:48 AM) Reply
What a fantastic jacket! It is really fabulous. Lucky BF! Thank you for the detailed review with great pictures--so very helpful.
Peter in NYC said... (12/24/09 9:25 AM) Reply
Looks great, Karen. The fabric is beautiful close up. Looking forward to seeing it on your BF.
feldmanTcat said... (12/24/09 8:59 AM) Reply
Looks great - I was anxiously awaiting this after following the construction process on your blog (you're in my iGoogle RSS feed). Please keep sewing for your BF, because you seem to gravitate towards similar styles that I want to use for my fiance.
fourkid said... (12/24/09 8:43 AM) Reply
Wonderful job - and great tips.
Nancy K said... (12/24/09 8:27 AM) Reply
Wonderful! I look forward to pictures of Mario in the jacket.
Athene said... (12/23/09 10:21 PM) Reply
Many hours of work and it shows. A very smart looking jacket.
Re Becca said... (12/23/09 9:09 PM) Reply
Good review, thanks for the info on the lining. He must be really proud, does he brag that you made it?
nancy2001 said... (12/23/09 9:08 PM) Reply
All your hard work was worth it -- the jacket turned out beautifully, and I know your DBF will love it. Congratulations on a terrific project with many wonderfully executed details.
voet said... (12/23/09 8:26 PM) Reply
Great review, Karen. I really appreciate the additional pictures. It turned out great. I am sure your DBF will be pleased.
katlew03 said... (12/23/09 8:20 PM) Reply
Karen, sorry I spelled your name incorrectly. Didn't proof read very well.
katlew03 said... (12/23/09 8:19 PM) Reply
Kareb, great looking jacket. You did a terrific job. No matter how many years you've been sewing, there's always a new experience out there. I've been sewing for 50+ years and this week's project just about did me in.

Figgy's Sunki Dress and leggings