Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 2042 (Tom and Linda Platt gown)

Reviewed by:Sew it seams

About Sew it seamsstarstar
Member since: 7/15/03
Posted on:5/29/04 10:05 PM
Last Updated:6/15/04 12:10 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 16 people
slmstyle said... (1/28/13 6:39 PM) Reply
I know you posted this review over 8 years ago, but it is really stunning!
alviana said... (12/22/08 6:32 AM) Reply
wow... absolutely beautiful. i hope i can sew one like that
flytootall said... (12/9/06 4:17 AM) Reply
Excellent review. Please email me, as I have a couple questions. flytootall@entouch.net
Sew it seams said... (2/8/05 8:49 AM) Reply
Thank you Raw and Marita. Marita- I'm sorry, I didn't see your comment yesterday, so I am assuming you have now hung your dress overnight and you know the answer to your question about the fit after hanging. The lining should do exactly what you stated- cover for modesty, and also allow the dress to flow nicely. I'm curious, did your pattern have the flaw in the drafting of the armscye? I'm looking forward to your review.
Marita Kinnula said... (2/8/05 6:01 AM) Reply
Very lovely, the fit is very good, especially in the back, you have made a great job!!! congrats!!!
Raw said... (2/7/05 7:46 PM) Reply
Deb, thankyou so much for your review. It really helped me avoid some of the first timer mistakes. I don't usually have any issues with bias sewing but am now concerned about the bust and hip fits, if they are snug now what will they be like after the dress is hung for 24 hours? The lining was very useful, I was going to make one to attach to the underarms or bra as I didn't want to affect the hang. I was hoping that appart from covering my modesty, a lining will allow the dress to flow even if the lining is sweatily sticking to me.
Claudia Resch said... (6/19/04 3:28 PM) Reply
How lucky your client was to get such a beautiful dress!
alicia said... (6/18/04 8:54 PM) Reply
Debe - the dress is stunning. My cousin was going to use this pattern as her wedding dress but we convinced her to go with the Vogue 1944 (I just posted the review) because I was terrified of the bias (ok... terrified of screwing up her wedding dress and fabric!) and the fact that it didn't have a lining in the pattern. You did a lovely job on a most challenging project.
mudcat said... (6/16/04 8:01 PM) Reply
Lovely dress. Excellent job on fitting your client.
valerie sews said... (6/16/04 5:46 AM) Reply
A beautiful beautiful dress inspite of what sounds like an imperfectly drafted pattern. Thanks for the review.
AnneM said... (6/15/04 7:17 PM) Reply
Oh, you definitely shouldn't check that "minor update" box; that should only be for correcting typographical errors. New pictures are always a major update. :) The dress does fit her perfectly; lovely. And it shows how a good fit makes an outfit look that much nicer.
rosewood39 said... (6/15/04 3:34 PM) Reply
the dress is beautiful!
SouthernStitch said... (6/15/04 12:28 PM) Reply
How elegant! I am so glad you updated this, I had missed it. Very good job - I love these type dresses.
Annette H said... (6/7/04 6:48 AM) Reply
Fit for a queen, better than pattern picture.
sewywabbit said... (6/3/04 1:54 PM) Reply
Amazing job, Debe, beautiful dress.
LiZ said... (6/2/04 9:37 PM) Reply
A very elegant dress and a very thorough review
Jennie Pakula said... (6/2/04 6:22 PM) Reply
Thanks for your detailed and thoughtful review. The dress turned out beautifully & I'm sure your client was thrilled.
SewLong said... (6/2/04 5:07 PM) Reply
It's great. I made this same dress several years ago! Also made in the same color as yours. The lady at the store saw that I was buying silk at $25 /yd suggested that I also buy dressmaker muslin to test out the pattern. Turned out to be great advice because I had cut the pattern wrong the first time with the muslin.
Debbie Spriggs said... (6/2/04 10:05 AM) Reply
Your dress is just stunning!
cindyann said... (6/2/04 8:02 AM) Reply
Well I feel the need to add my "gorgeous" to comments too!! What a beautiful design and you did it justice!
SewingSusan said... (6/2/04 6:01 AM) Reply
That is lovely. Great work.
Asa Hagstrom said... (6/2/04 4:32 AM) Reply
What a beautiful dress - thank you for the informative review!
ConnieBJ said... (6/1/04 9:25 PM) Reply
Debe that is WOW!
Sew it seams said... (6/1/04 8:19 PM) Reply
Thankyou everyone! Yep, Anne M, Maggie is tightened down as far as she goes, so it does kind of drag on the hips. Hmmm... wouldn't I like to have that problem?! I may be able to get a photo of my bride wearing it. It looks much better on her. Levone, a wedding in Jamaica sounds wonderful! Why not try this with some inexpensive satin/crepe for a muslin? It deffinately takes some "fiddling", but if you like it, it would be worth while to make it for your own wedding.
AnneM said... (6/1/04 6:23 PM) Reply
Elegant seems to be the word of choice for this dress! Very nice, thank you for the detailed review. You can see the tightness in the hips on the dress form.
SewTabby said... (6/1/04 6:15 PM) Reply
This is absolutely gorgeous. Challenges aside, you did a wonderful job!
Levone said... (6/1/04 6:11 PM) Reply
Wow, the dress turned out to be absolutely gorgeous. I am actually thinking of going to Jamaica or some other exotic island to get married and this dress would be perfect for that. Although, I would not try to make it. ;o)
Gillian said... (6/1/04 6:07 PM) Reply
Gorgeous!
Leslie in Austin said... (6/1/04 5:42 PM) Reply
Oooooo! I love the v detail on the front. I'm sure your bride-y feels absolutely gorgeous in that beauty. Thanks for the detail on the challenges you faced in this deceptively straight-forward looking garment.
KitnRose said... (6/1/04 5:37 PM) Reply
So beautiful! I won't be getting this for myself as it wouldn't work so well on my short and curvy figure ... but oh, it's perfect for your client! Great work, kudos on your patience, and thanks for the excellent review!
PVA said... (6/1/04 5:25 PM) Reply
Incredibly lovely! Really elegant. It sounds like the pattern, in the wrong hands, would be a disaster! Thank you for a great review.
candyo said... (6/1/04 5:25 PM) Reply
That is a beautiful dress! I was looking forward to your review!
Gigi Louis said... (6/1/04 4:46 PM) Reply
Debe, the dress is exquisite! I'm sure your client was very pleased.
Teri said... (6/1/04 4:40 PM) Reply
Ohh Debe, that is beautiful, and such a great review too!
els said... (6/1/04 4:31 PM) Reply
Debe what an elegant dress you made.

Sewing Workshop Deja Vu Wrap Pattern