Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1094 (MISSES' DRESS)

Review submitted in Knock-Off Contest - 2011 Contest

Posted on:5/28/11 3:25 PM
Last Updated:5/28/11 3:33 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 9 people
prostheticsgirl said... (2/16/13 8:30 PM) Reply
HAHAHA! I literally laughed out loud when I read the line about "fashion hell" and clicked on the picture
waltzqueen said... (8/10/11 5:40 PM) Reply
Great dress! Beatufully made and stylish, you look quite fetching (does anyone use that word any more?) Excellent translation of the Dior original.
Blooms said... (7/10/11 7:29 PM) Reply
That is a fab interpretation of you knock-ff. Your sewing projects are so awesome. And what fun with the photoshoots. mostly I am impressed that you re-sewed a zipper.
bananaoil said... (6/15/11 6:49 AM) Reply

bananaoil said... (6/15/11 6:48 AM) Reply
BRAVO! You're alright I trust? Not in fashion hell? Back home safely? I loved your review, laughed out loud for real. Ambitious dress, it's truly classic and looks lovely. Thanks!
waltzqueen said... (6/12/11 12:27 PM) Reply
Great dress, chic and Unique! The "in and out" trim is a great touch and worth the time. An excellent summer dress!
CAgirl said... (6/9/11 4:21 PM) Reply
What patience you have. What a beautiful dress you have because of it!
DesignsByDenise said... (6/4/11 6:58 PM) Reply
Touche! I love that last photo, fate be damned! That dress is too cute! You took a runway inspiration and made something us normal gals can wear. Bravo!
Bonnie O said... (6/3/11 8:09 AM) Reply
Love your dress! And you nailed the inspiration dress but made it more wearable, I think!
fattyboomboom said... (6/2/11 2:55 PM) Reply
I agree with your decisions about toning down the skirt, and I admire your patience with threading the trim. Your beautiful dress was certainly worth all the work. So sorry about your zipper drama--I've been there! And as you stand in front of Dior, it looks like you're adding up all the money you saved making your own. I know that smile!!!!
sewinfrance said... (5/31/11 8:46 AM) Reply
What a great dress & review. Thanks for the last photo!!! Fantastic work, as always, hope the last zipper holds. I also love those wrappy-strappy black shoes!
Terri A said... (5/30/11 1:51 AM) Reply
Really WOW!
Norsecross said... (5/29/11 11:08 AM) Reply
When at first you don't succeed, or second time as well, GO METAL! HaHa, that will fix it but good! I have a few metal zippers in my closet as well. Photo in the doorway is a winner.
carolynw said... (5/29/11 10:51 AM) Reply
Beautiful - just totally beautiful. What rotten luck you had with the zipper - truly "zipper hell" as you put it - but so nice to have a handy BF - I know my DH may (MAY) have tried but I am sure I would have endured many neddle punctures. Glad you got to wear it and thanks for such an entertaining review. Great work
Passion4Sewing said... (5/29/11 8:41 AM) Reply
Looks so awesome! I have had invisble zipper woes as well. I have found cutting out as much bulk as possible from the bulky seam and ironing the teeth flat before installation helps.
eruuska said... (5/29/11 7:57 AM) Reply
You are a better woman than I! I would have wanted to throw it on the floor and stomp all over it. But looking at your dress, it is beautiful! Your persistence surely has paid off!
Sigrid. said... (5/29/11 7:26 AM) Reply
Beautiful! You did a great job making the inspiration dress into your version. Very wearable too. Love the picture in front of the Dior shop!
Fran G said... (5/29/11 6:21 AM) Reply
Awesome! What talent and creativity you have!
arianamaniacs said... (5/29/11 3:18 AM) Reply
Yea, I love those too. Those are the most expensive pair of shoes I ever bought actually, and they still cost 200 euros after 50% off! It was love at first sight and I had just gotten my first bonus from work ;) lol. The shoes are actually boots that zip up the back. The wrappings are different types of stretchy elastic that criss-cross the front. The brand is Dirk Bikkembergs. I'd never heard of them until I saw those shoes though.
mad stash said... (5/29/11 0:15 AM) Reply
Arianna - I like the leggings - or maybe these are wraps attached to the sandles you're wearing? Or is this some ingenious creation you made??? If you bought them, where can I get some?
mad stash said... (5/28/11 11:56 PM) Reply
Tres chic! I wish I made this dress. Really, really like it. :)
mendospot said... (5/28/11 9:53 PM) Reply
Love it!
Sewiing Sue said... (5/28/11 7:54 PM) Reply
Love the photo in front of Dior. You're interpretation of the original is wonderful.
Aroura said... (5/28/11 6:45 PM) Reply
Wow, I LOVE your version. It's beautiful and so much more wearable than the Dior version. You looks just gorgeous. You BF is awesome BTW! Great review too, I really enjoyed it.
annakeeton said... (5/28/11 6:04 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress and I feel your pain during the zipper saga. I love your final photo.
lucylal said... (5/28/11 5:27 PM) Reply
Your dress is adorable! What a lot of work you put into it! Curse zippers!!! I have a dress hanging in my sewing room that I made 2 years ago, that is awaiting its 3rd invisible zipper. I ended up getting zipper rage after 2 broken zippers, hence she still hangs there patiently. Next summer!!!
peaceykeen said... (5/28/11 5:20 PM) Reply
I love the last picture!!! At least you got to wear it on your trip like you wanted!
Dale C said... (5/28/11 4:38 PM) Reply
Fashion Karma! I hope the God of Fashion decides to give you a reprieve! Your dress is lovely and it would be a shame to not be able to wear it. LOL
petro said... (5/28/11 3:54 PM) Reply
What a great dress, I love the black trim on the white.
Puppy said... (5/28/11 3:52 PM) Reply
What a neat dress. You are so clever!

Pin-up Girls 1230