Pattern Reviews> Self Drafted Pattern> 1458-1000 (inspired by anthropologie top)

Review submitted in Knock-Off Contest - 2011 Contest

Last Updated:5/23/11 10:03 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 6 people

Sweater knit fabrics

S I G R I D said... (6/6/11 6:17 PM) Reply
ps here is my pattern review: http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/readreview.pl?readreview=1&reviewnum=61276
S I G R I D said... (6/6/11 6:15 PM) Reply
I tried this too. My version is a bit less dramatic than yours, and I agree. It takes two tries. . . http://analogme.typepad.com/analog-me/2011/03/cowls.html
emclaus said... (6/5/11 10:56 AM) Reply
One more thing. The tucks need to be done a little differently on each side. If you study the inspiration top, the drapes are somewhat random. In one of my practice tops the tucks for the drapes were done the exact same way on both sides and the drapes were not nearly as interesting. So beginning sewers who are afraid to attempt this top, how many times will someone tell you that sewing each side differently is actually good?
emclaus said... (6/5/11 10:42 AM) Reply
If you have a close-fitting knit top pattern in your stash that you have successfully used before, I recommend using it as a starting point. Fitting your torso will be all done, one just has to move the shoulder seam forward and perfect the drape. Study the pictures of the pattern alterations at Tanit-Isis Sews blog. I used an out-of-print boat-neck top pattern. I grabbed sleeves from yet another pattern. It did take a few tries using a ugly fabric from my stash to get the drape the way I wanted it.
DesignsByDenise said... (6/4/11 6:50 PM) Reply
Really cute, you did a terrific job! Anthropologie is one of my favorite inspiration sites, their clothes are adorable. I would suggest Simplicity 2554 as another possible place to "start" something similar, as its got the droopy neck and similar sleeves. At least it would give you an idea of how the drape looks when flat.
Donna S Page said... (6/4/11 12:23 PM) Reply
That RTW top is my favorite! But yours is even better. I'm so impressed. Are there directions anywhere that a beginner might be able to follow to draft the pattern? I have to have this top!
cindysewsaz said... (6/3/11 11:54 AM) Reply
This does look wonderful! For a similar pattern to this, try Simplicity 2283. It doesn't have the flutter sleeves, but you can get a similar look on the front with this pattern.
Rhoda K said... (6/3/11 10:56 AM) Reply
Beautiful and drapes so well!
said... (6/3/11 8:15 AM) Reply
This is just gorgeous! Color, fit, workmanship... beautiful!
ggf2005 said... (6/2/11 5:14 PM) Reply
amazing, the look, the color!
marvelous said... (6/2/11 3:59 PM) Reply
The drape is very flattering on you and I love the color. You did a great job!
fattyboomboom said... (6/2/11 2:48 PM) Reply
Oh my! What a gorgeous drape in the front! Fantastic top!
JillyBe said... (6/1/11 4:00 PM) Reply
ohmygosh I LOVE this top!!! FABULOUS job! And inspirational...hmmmmm...... I have to put this on my list of things to attempt. Thank you!
montanachic said... (6/1/11 12:32 PM) Reply
You did a great job, it is so cute!
Deepika said... (6/1/11 12:08 PM) Reply
I love love love your top. Anyone has any suggestions for a commercial pattern for this top?
TanitIsis said... (5/25/11 3:10 PM) Reply
This looks great! So glad you were inspired (and successful) :D
annakeeton said... (5/25/11 6:26 AM) Reply
Your top is beautiful and that knit seems perfect for the draping.
emclaus said... (5/24/11 10:42 PM) Reply
Thank you so much for all your positive comments.
mlsews said... (5/24/11 8:37 PM) Reply
Its fabulous!
Dale C said... (5/24/11 7:12 PM) Reply
Wow.. that is a cool top! I missed it when I was skimming through the anthropologie site. Yours looks wonderful! I don't think there are too many pleats.. it's just right.
donaleen said... (5/24/11 11:10 AM) Reply
Oh that is so very cool. If I had your body, I'd be all over it.
zuzu_petal said... (5/24/11 11:06 AM) Reply
Beautiful.
poppykettle said... (5/24/11 7:22 AM) Reply
The end result of straying from the commercials is great - I love the way your top looks! The drape is devine and it looks comfy too. I'm impressed!
RadarRadiance said... (5/23/11 10:49 PM) Reply
Looks great on you, love the drape and flair this top has. You pull it off well. Great job!
Laurasews said... (5/23/11 10:46 PM) Reply