Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 08-2011-101 (military jacket)

Review submitted in Think Pink Contest

Posted on:10/27/11 10:39 AM
Last Updated:10/31/11 4:22 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 12 people
grays08 said... (2/14/12 12:48 PM) Reply
I'm in the middle of making this myself and nervous after reading the issues you faced. I cut a 40 and included seam allowances but so far I'm disappointed because it seems so large right now. I'm not happy with fit so far but am thinking it will come together at some point (perhaps not!). You're my hero for tackling this project! I'm trying, hopefully with as great of results as you had. Thanks for putting this out there - we need reviews of the Burda stuff!
lauraborealis said... (1/24/12 8:31 PM) Reply
I've got this traced and ready to cut, but as I was reading through the instructions, I wondered, "Where are the welt pockets they mention?" Is that for a different style or are they hidden somewhere? Your cute jacket has renewed my interest in it!
barebear said... (11/6/11 3:46 PM) Reply
Very nice jacket! I really like your colour choices here. Good on you, muddling your way through Burda instructions! lol You are far braver than I!
Margaret said... (11/1/11 11:45 AM) Reply
Congrats on getting it to work out despite the confusing instructions. I really like the pink with the black too.
Norsecross said... (11/1/11 10:28 AM) Reply
Oh! I like how close together the buttons are, I didn't expect that! The black and pink is so striking! Thanks for posting the pic and satisfying my curiosity:)
prttynpnk said... (11/1/11 7:59 AM) Reply
Great job and the pink and black is lovely!
SisterBelle said... (10/31/11 7:33 PM) Reply
Great to see your review. I am also working through a muslin, getting the fit right. After see you jacket I can't wait to get started.
Norsecross said... (10/28/11 11:50 AM) Reply
I have avoided Burda patterns. I once saw the instructions and multi colored pattern sizes and pieces. It looked like a headache in the making, just as you said. I might be wimping out, but I think I will continue to avoid them. Your jacket looks great, and I applaud you for forging through, headache and all. Your reward is a super cute pink military jacket! What a nice twist! I would love to see a picture on it buttoned and shown from the front.
allycovey said... (10/28/11 10:27 AM) Reply
Well, I was not clear I can see what you are saying if it were the neck band that were too big, that would make sense but the neck band itself was much smaller than the are I had to put it on. With out the neck band on the jacket notheing was laying right I didn't figure it out until I went to put the neckband on and saw how much too big the whole neckline was. If it were seam allowance problems the are I put the neck band on would have been too small. This is the third lined jacket I have made from Burda the other two were full blown winter coats. I bet I have made 50 things from Burda this year and never use a seam allowance and everyhting always comes out nice. If I used a seam allowance I would have to cut a smaller size add a seam allowance and it would end up being the same
DillyD said... (10/28/11 10:19 AM) Reply
Your jacket looks good. The problem you had with the neckline was probably caused by cutting out without seam allowances - essentially when you do that you are cutting on the stitching lines and when you sew you create "new" stitching lines which may no longer match. On side seams, it will not be obvious, but on a garment with a collar, the result will be a neckline opening that is larger and a collar which is smaller. Hope that makes sense ...
Woolygal said... (10/28/11 8:04 AM) Reply
This is a great jacket. Congrats.
pdiddly said... (10/28/11 4:33 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review love the colour great jacket
Terri A said... (10/28/11 3:12 AM) Reply
Your jacket turned out really nice! Pretty fabric too.
miausiau said... (10/27/11 11:28 PM) Reply
It looks nice...Not cutting a seam allowance does change the way a garment goes together, you can run into some problems this way. What you end up with is a muddle of sizes and things like oversized necklines.
Christas said... (10/27/11 5:33 PM) Reply
Very cute jacket!
Scheryka said... (10/27/11 3:54 PM) Reply
Cute jacket and color, too.
renren said... (10/27/11 1:55 PM) Reply
Fabulous! Congratulations on your Think Pink! entry!
jannw said... (10/27/11 1:07 PM) Reply
Beautiful shade of pink! It is so cute! Interesting about the neckline...
SewWil said... (10/27/11 12:43 PM) Reply
Beautiful jacket!
redrockcity said... (10/27/11 10:48 AM) Reply
Thank you for the review! Your version is so cute!! I muslined this jacket but did not put the collar on the muslin. Hopefully that wasn't a mistake as the fabric is all cut out and ready to go.

More Knits