Online Sewing Class: Altering Pants

Pattern Reviews> Self Drafted Pattern> 244612-1000 (my ideal jeans)

Review submitted in Jeans Contest Contest

Posted on:2/11/12 4:46 PM

Vesta Patterns

vestapatterns.com

koo104 said... (2/25/12 8:27 PM) Reply
Sorry you did not win the contest. You were my vote! But you won with some great fitting jeans. I am motivated to go back to my project.
Margaret said... (2/19/12 9:24 AM) Reply
Very nice!
KathleenS said... (2/17/12 6:19 PM) Reply
They look great!
argiope said... (2/17/12 3:22 PM) Reply
Quincunx, my method was (loosely) based on the one from Suzy Furrer's "Building Patterns: the Architecture of Women's Clothing." But I think most systems would do the trick. Once you have the jeans block with darts, you can cut however much you want for the waistband width off the top and close up the darts to create the contoured shape, similar to what you do for the back yoke. koo104, you're right, the belt loops do stick out a bit much. I wanted to make sure they were long enough to be functional, but it looks like I overdid it.
JDpenelope said... (2/17/12 5:58 AM) Reply
You should be very proud of your accomplishment in drafting a great pair of jeans.
Quincunx said... (2/17/12 5:34 AM) Reply
Aha, so there IS someone in the world who takes a straight waistband. Good to know. ;) Am I missing where you said which system you were using to draft your jeans? One which produces a curved waistband as a default is a system I'm interested in!
koo104 said... (2/16/12 11:22 PM) Reply
You did a stellar job. Beautiful stitching. I would make the belt loops a little shorter on you next pair.
TJSEWS said... (2/16/12 8:41 PM) Reply
I am impressed that you drafted these perfectly fitting jeans. I believe you should change your rank to "advanced." Great job!
CraftAddict said... (2/16/12 9:52 AM) Reply
Great job and they fit perfect!
Terri A said... (2/15/12 7:56 PM) Reply
Wonderful! They fit like a dream.
sewbehind said... (2/13/12 10:33 AM) Reply
I am impressed with people who can draft their own patterns and have them fit so well. Great job on your jeans. Your sewing skills certainly warrant saving up for a sturdier machine.
Zacky said... (2/12/12 10:20 PM) Reply
Very nice!
jacqui rocks said... (2/12/12 7:01 PM) Reply
Great job!! I need to try my hand at jeans making.
fractal said... (2/12/12 4:25 PM) Reply
Really great well-fitting results - excellent drafting!
mtnbluebird said... (2/12/12 3:32 PM) Reply
These are fabulous. You did a great job fitting them. Well-fitting jeans are so hard to find. It's wonderful that you are able to make your own! They definitely do not look homemade!!
sewbarbie said... (2/12/12 3:10 PM) Reply
You did a great job on these. They look really good and fit very well.
argiope said... (2/12/12 2:53 AM) Reply
Thanks everyone! Poppykettle, the reason I like the straight waistband better is because I have a very gradual curve from my high hip to my waist. Curved waistbands tend to dig in at the top edge and be too big below that, plus the partial bias makes them prone to stretching out and sagging with wear. A straight waistband (which I usually cut on the lengthwise grain) is a lot more stable, and the little bit of extra room at the top edge prevents it from digging in when I bend or sit.
poppykettle said... (2/12/12 2:08 AM) Reply
Looks like a great pair of jeans! Any particular reason why you prefer a straight waistband to a curved one? I'm curious as I just made my first pair of jeans and the pattern had a curved waistband.
CynthiaSue said... (2/11/12 10:56 PM) Reply
Very nice. I so wish I could do this.
annakeeton said... (2/11/12 9:30 PM) Reply
Great job on all of these jeans.
Claverie said... (2/11/12 8:12 PM) Reply
Perfect!
margk said... (2/11/12 7:33 PM) Reply
I also like basic jeans. Yours are Fabulous!
coudcoud said... (2/11/12 6:04 PM) Reply
VERY nice work! Love them all!
Raye Ann said... (2/11/12 5:42 PM) Reply
Fantastic! The fit and finish is terrific. Good work!
Alexruthe said... (2/11/12 5:32 PM) Reply
awesome job
HawkeMorningStar7 said... (2/11/12 5:26 PM) Reply
Fabulous jeans, amazing how you drafted then yourself, perfect fit. Love all three!
treefrog said... (2/11/12 5:25 PM) Reply
3 great pairs of jeans. You are very talented with your drafting skills
Sew it seams said... (2/11/12 5:17 PM) Reply
Very nice! I really want to give it a try, but making jeans is just so intimidating to me! Yours are perfect. I like dark unadorned jeans, too.
EleanorSews said... (2/11/12 4:57 PM) Reply
Wow, you got a really nice jeans fit on those! Impressive. And, I like you shoe!!!
RadarRadiance said... (2/11/12 4:56 PM) Reply
I'm jealous! They all fit perfect!!! What a great job making this pattern fit you so well. You're stitching is fantastic too!

SewBaby Easy Pieces Pants Pattern