Pattern Reviews> Other> 102497641 (Rocket Bottoms In a Snap Cover)

Review submitted in Sewing For Children Contest
Reviewed by:Terri A

About Terri Astarstarstarstar
Member since: 1/16/08

Posted on:8/30/12 1:56 AM
Last Updated:12/21/12 2:11 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 1 people
cowgirlbb said... (12/21/12 4:56 PM) Reply
This is a great idea and you did such a good job. The patterns are so cute!
Terri A said... (12/21/12 1:53 PM) Reply
Yes, I bought a simple beginner KAM set from gotlux snaps on etsy to get going. Very inexpensive. Once I became comfortable and practiced I was fine. I am planning to buy a snap press for the sake of my hands and wrists but I have gotten used to the inexpensive hand tool for now. The wool is from scraps from a scrap bag I got from a friend. The outside is a stretch wool and the inside is a double wool crepe. They are diaper quality wools. I have seen the bolts:-)
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (12/21/12 12:48 PM) Reply
Terri, did you have to buy an expensive snap machine or pliers to do the all in one diapers? And what type of wool did you use for the diaper cover?
Terri A said... (8/30/12 2:49 PM) Reply
Oh - did you mean my cloth prefolds? I figured in shipping charges, and prewashing, but again depending on fabric (the bamboo runs $10-16 per yd, just a few dollars at most each even for the best fabric.
Terri A said... (8/30/12 2:46 PM) Reply
Thank you! Well I will try to PM you later but really it depends on where you buy your materials. I recommend buying the materials online at low prices and them it really isn't expensive. I can make about six double layer and actually more if a small size from a yard of fabric. Buy the yard at a discount and you are good. The FOE is best bought online. You can get oodles for cheap. Fabric.com carries multiple brands of PUL and all at a good price. When I first considered doing this I thought it would be too expensive, but now I have gotten going with it I find that you can make a diaper cover for WELL under what you would buy one for and also it will be better quality because you add your own features like leak guards and gussets. I would never buy one now bcz I can make it:-) Try this pattern to start and you wiill see what I mean or if you really want to save money make the One Size which fits allll the way through as they grow, adjusting with rise snaps. It's a few dollars a diaper once you have really good supplies laid in.
QuikSew said... (8/30/12 7:39 AM) Reply
You did a great job. My daughter is expecting and plans to use cloth diapers. What's the approximate cost per diaper to make?

by: MinaLMcGra...