Brother
Brother

Pattern Reviews> StyleArc> Hepburn Riding Skirt (Hepburn Riding Skirt)

Reviewed by:ClaireEmily

Very Helpful by 4 people

Home Sewing Depot

Home Dec Sewing Supplies

BeaJay said... (12/8/12 7:53 PM) Reply
I think this looks good on you. Shame that you are not happy. I have this pattern so thank you very much for the review.
meggy said... (12/7/12 9:47 PM) Reply
Frankly, I think you are seeing things :) This skirt not only looks very well made but great on you! I love it.
FreyaStark said... (12/2/12 4:22 AM) Reply
I think the skirt is better than you think, and it could grow on you with time. The length seems just right to me, and it goes well with that cardie. The gaping pockets obviously must be annoying but don't let them bug you. The whole outfit works well. Just give yourself time to get used to it.
JEF said... (11/19/12 12:12 PM) Reply
Your sweater is amazingly cute and the skirt is certainly wearable. Maybe it'll grow on you a bit more as time passes.
Mary Nanna said... (11/18/12 7:27 PM) Reply
I like it - although I happen to like what others think of as dowdy! I can't see the problem with the pockets from your photo so it may be just the photo or maybe a case of "I sewed it" which means you notice every gape and feel responsible for it. Thanks for the link to your blog - I didn't realise you wrote one, and now I can also see all the lovely other hand crafted items you are making.
wendyrb said... (11/18/12 6:25 PM) Reply
This is very close to being a terrific skirt and wearable as is. You've made/reviewed so many great garments, so take it easy on yourself! There's already put a lot of effort into your skirt and maybe enough? A few suggestions: *** Easiest, wear it with a longer top and cover the pockets. The length proportion might work better? More work: * Pocket gaping open- The skirt is wool; you might be able to "encourage" the pockets to cup over your hip. Try the skirt on and pinch out the amount you want to disappear. Press with steam a-plenty over a pressing ham to see if you can reduce the excess. You might even try a smallish basting stitch to draw it in and then press. 2 other reviewers have less hip curve, so a non-issue. * Pleat opening up- without any ripping, try moving up the pleat underlay only; tug it up at the top. It should bring the outer pleat creases closer together. You'd have to release the waistband a bit to insert that extra you're nixing. That is- if I'm guessing right on the pleat construction.
ClaireEmily said... (11/18/12 6:05 PM) Reply
Thanks guys! Lynmarie, it sounds like you made some interesting modifications. I think it would great without the pleat.
Lynmarie said... (11/18/12 3:58 PM) Reply
I love this skirt, I made one as the pattern and the second skirt I deleted the pleat, I also shortened mine by 2" & stitched each end of the pockets down to stop gaping, made size 8. Your skirt looks great :) Good skirt to wear to work.
marec said... (11/18/12 11:02 AM) Reply
Hi ClaireEmily! It is so frustrating to put a lot of effort into a project and be not so thrilled. The skirt is such a classic style that I would be tempted to undo all your lovely hand stitched hem and shorten it. Don't give up yet :-)

Pattern Work