Pattern Reviews> Kwik Sew> 3861 (Butterfly Tops)

Reviewed by:marymary86

About marymary86
GA USA
Member since: 7/20/08
Posted on:12/8/12 11:04 AM
Last Updated:12/8/12 1:58 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 4 people
See other patterns in this category: Kids(boys & girls)
Catina said... (7/13/14 5:17 PM) Reply
Wow! Your neckline finish is flawless!
rubbecca said... (3/7/13 0:06 AM) Reply
I have been eyeing this pattern for my daughter. Looks great. I love how your top turned out.
MartiP said... (12/9/12 10:30 PM) Reply
Marymary86:Thank you. I really enjoy discussing sewing and sharing anything that might be helpful. I wondered about the elastic too, but didn't hear anything negative. Two of my grandchildren have a degree of autism, so I understand your concern. I am going to use this pattern again and use the long sleeves this time. The Land's End dress had topstitching at the waistline seam. I would think that might stabilize it to a degee. May also try that.
marymary86 said... (12/9/12 7:44 PM) Reply
Mrs. Yowder - Your tips are most appreciated! Thank you!! I should have mentioned that I omitted the step of sewing on the clear elastic. Little Rowan is profoundly autistic and I was worried that she'd have sensory issues from it. I took the dress to her but she was asleep when I got there. I asked her mom to please text a picture of her wearing it but haven't seen anything yet. I thought I'd evaluate the fit from this first try and take it from there. Mom loved the dress and kept saying "You made this?" as she saw the double stitched hem with overlocking underneath (just a serged edged and twin needle top stitching) but it looked professionally finished. I was glad she was pleased.
MartiP said... (12/8/12 10:18 PM) Reply
marymary86, I was hoping for that,too, but didn't think it would stretch enough. I was trying to duplicate a knit dress my daughter purchased from Land's End. My grandaughter loved it a wore it alot. One thing I forgot, and I am not sure if it would have been necessary, was to have the seam in the back on a slight curve. Dress turned out fine, though. Another thing the directions call for is to first gather, then apply clear elastic to the front waist seam. Next time I would serge it on. I found it a bit difficult to sew straight, since it has 1/4" seams.
Levone said... (12/8/12 9:28 PM) Reply
Cute top! I have this pattern but hadn't made it yet. Glad I saw your version as it definitely looks better than the one on the envelope.
marymary86 said... (12/8/12 4:48 PM) Reply
Thank you for that tip Mrs. Yowder. I'm also wondering if I could omit the back slash (binding the neck in one full circle which I know how to do). I'm wondering if the neck opening is wide enough? I'm getting ready to take the dress over to Ro so I'll see when she tries it on (hoping she'll be up when we get over there!)
MartiP said... (12/8/12 3:17 PM) Reply
I used this for a dress pattern by splitting the back and adding the extra fullness there too. Great pattern instructions!
busymomof3 said... (12/8/12 12:11 PM) Reply
I need to get this pattern! I still have not tried sewing knit but sounds like this is the right basic pattern for me to start with. I like the fabric and can't wait to see how it fits.

Marfy 2264