|Pattern Description: |
T shirt has contrast shoulder, keyhole opening in back, and ruched sides. I actually did not use the pattern, but modified my TNT tee to imitate the style.
The Burda pattern comes in 34-44. My TNT tee is approximately a 34 at the shoulders and bust, 36 at the waist, and 38 at the hip.
A stretch lace from the $2.97/yd table at G Street Fabrics. The contrast is a silk charmeuse purchased at Paron in NYC.
Total cost: Around $6, maybe?
Time to Make:
This wasn't complicated, though the bias trim at the keyhole and neckline took a bit of time to get right. About 5 hours.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I am always looking for ways to dress up a t-shirt. This had some nice ideas.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Were the instructions easy to follow?
I did not use them.
Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
-I used the Burda pattern as a guide to mark the contrast shoulder on my TNT tee pattern. I pinned the front and back pattern together along the stitching line at the shoulder, and then drafted the shoulder inset as a single piece.
-To cut the body of the tee shirt, I just folded down at my marking and added seam allowance.
-I wanted to make the tee long to be worn with the jeggings, but I liked the idea of an adjustable length with ruched sides, rather than just gathering the side seam and permanently fixing the length.
I cut a rectangle of fabric the length I wanted, and 2 1/2 inches wide. I marked down the center of the fabric, as this line would be stitched for a channel.
I started by sewing the marked center channel line down, starting from about 1 inch from the top and folding under the seam allowance at the bottom.
Then I turned under the seam allowances on the top and the long sides and stitched down the long sides. Be sure to leave the top open at this point so you can put in your drawstring!
Once the drawstring is in, stitch along the top, being careful not to catch the drawstring.
-The Burda is drafted with a keyhole neckline and tie in the back. Since my TNT pattern has a center back seam anyway, I decided to keep that detail. I started by finishing the keyhole, then moving on to the neckline.
I made bias tape from my contrast silk charmeuse and first sewed it to the inside of the neckline, right side of the bias tape against wrong side of the fabric. The bias tape extends at the end to form the tie.
Then I folded the bias tape over to the right side, pinned, and stitched.
The back keyhole is a nice little touch, and helps bring the contrast silk more into the tee.
-To add a little more interest to this top, I used the sleeve from Butterick 5562, the short sleeve from View A,
which is much nicer than the similar but not identical long sleeve from View
This was a fun use of my stretch lace, and I thought it made a nice travel piece. It is cute and trendy, and--most important--doesn't look like work clothes! If I find the right combination of fabrics I can definitely see making another of these contrast shoulder tees, though probably without the keyhole and the fancy sleeve.
All photos are here and the blog post is here.