Pattern with more than 5 reviews!
|Self Drafted Pattern: 80575-1002 (loose dolman sleeve tshirt) - Type:Tops|
Review submitted in One Pattern, Many Looks Contest
|Viewed 189 times
Review rated Helpful
by 1 people Very Helpful
by 6 people
|About colormefun |
|Member since: 11/30/06 |
|Reviews written: 38|
|Favored by: 7 people|
|patterns reviewed: 38|
|Posted on:||1/31/13 11:12 PM |
|Last Updated:||2/1/13 3:12 AM|
|Pattern Rating:||Great Wardrobe Builder |
|Fabric:||Cotton-Poly Knit [See other projects in this fabric]|
|Related Links |
|Click on to add a link|
|--edited to add better pictures of individual pieces--|
I took my favorite semi-loose t-shirt and traced it onto pattern paper. Since it was dolman sleeved it was super easy to copy. I chose this shirt to copy because it does a great job of disguising that "muffin top" that pants can give me and accentuating the positive instead.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I like that it is so basic, and has only two peices (not including however you choose to finish seams).
I used mostly cotton/poly knits for this pattern. The drapier the knit the better the result I think, but I also used some thicker knits that didn't have much drape and experimented with one side woven/ one side knit combinations and those in general gave it a boxier shape that made it look like a shift blouse.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I experimented with different fabric combinations, color blocking, cut-outs, neckline changes, hemline changes, sleeve length changes and macrame inserts.
List of Shirts Made (with accompanying design elements)
1. Green print knit blouse with 3/4 length sleeves, open sleeves and neckline binded with matching binding and macrame back. I cut long 1" strips of fabric, stretched them, and tied them to a long knitting loom and knotted the strips into a loose macrame pattern. I then cut out a scoop out of the back and sewed the macrame in place of that being careful to keep the proportions the same. It wanted to stretch like crazy, so finally I pinned it to foam board so it would move and so I could pin my macrame back to the opening. I covered up the raw edges with more binding. The "cold shoulder" sleeves were simply made by binding the top seams instead of sewing together and then overlapping and sewing one inch long sections over bra-strap area and at cuff. I gathered the cuffs and binded with more of the binding I made. Making all that binding was definitely the most annoying part of this project. Knotting the back was the most fun.
2. Blouse two was made from some super thin, drapey polyester knit that I had had around for a loooooong time. I lenthened the sleeves, changed the scoop neck to more of a boat-neck and made the bottom hem a slight hi-lo. I TRIED to make matching binding and it was frustration X infinity. It curled, it melted, what it did not do was hold a crease, so whatever, on to plan #2. I used red fold over elastic for the neckline, just folded the bottom up and sewed and just serged a cuff onto the sleeves because the fabric was too thin to try anything else (at least for me).
3. This blue blouse was made exactly like my pattern in a medium weight knit so not too much draping. I taped it with masking tape and sponged fabric paint on it to create the striped pattern you see.
technique pic for painted shirts
4. This blouse has a medium weight knit for the front and a poly-chiffon for the back. I tried to incorporate the geometric pattern from one of the bands onto the shirt and had the idea of putting an origami bird on it. I drew a pattern for the bird, cut out the pieces from sticker-backed foam and then stuck the foam onto a piece of cardboard and, boom, awesome stamp. I should have done the same for the geometric shape up top, instead I just made one little chevron stamp and a little square/ diamond stamp and went at it... it was kinda like when you cut your bangs yourself and you're like, oh it's uneven.. a little more on that side, now I have to even it out... now the other side.... oh no! now i have 1/2" bangs! Except, I was like oh no! this is way too many stupid diamonds and chevrons!!! oh well... so much for the organic, unplanned process... I then added a bunch of dots to try to distract people from my mistakes.
5. This blouse is made out of a retro printed knit and I added a bow to the top. The tubes were machine sewed, but I affixed it by hand.
6. This blouseis made out of nice drapey knit. I added a cool heart to it by drawing the heart shape I wanted on my chosen fabrics, adding a 1/2" seam allowance, layering the lace onto the second fabric piece, and finishing those two together. I then pinned to the shirt, sewed it and then, caaaarefully cut out the heart in front to reveal the fabric underneath. Edges were left unfinished.
7. This blouse is a nice drapey grassy looking print. Edges were left unfinished. I may add a pocket later.
8. This blouse is made from poly-satin (pastel yellow) and poly-chiffon (bow print) and color blocked. Seams were finished with 1/4 inch self binding and by just folding the edge under twice. The bow on the neckline was made by extending the binding where it met in the middle.
9. This blouse is color blocked and a mix of woven cotton print with medium weight cotton poly knit and poly chiffon and satin too. There is a lot going on on this shirt, but I had originally planned to embellish with sequin ribbon that I wanted to twist to spell "i love you" in French. I may still do it, haven't decided if it's too much for me or not. I bought a lot of sequin tapes in different colors and I can't wait to write more sayings in sequin ribbon on my shirts!
<< Previous Next >>
Login to Add a Comment