This is a throw I made for the Inspired By Pinterest: Home Dec Challenge.
I saw a pic of this throw and loved the geometric pattern and simplicity of the design. The weave reminded me of suiting fabric and made me think of doing this using felted wool suiting.
I've loved the look of the Mary Flanagan textured Felted Wool blankets of which there is a great tutorial on purlbee.com. I've had the thought of doing something like this from repurposed wool fabric for awhile now and have been collecting wool suits whenever I find them in the thrift stores.
I've had a couple of wool herringbone jackets in my stash for awhile now and decided they would be perfect to replicate the Pinterest throw. I wanted brown and tans (rather than the pictured blacks and white) and that matches the colors in my house better. Something along the lines of this quilt
I did a bit of research and found out the design was a classic quilting pattern called Tumbling blocks. There are a couple of ways to make this pattern but I wanted one that kept the squares as intact as possible (versus piecing lots of smaller triangles). I used a template downloaded off the net and basically followed this pattern.
I took apart the jackets and washed them in hot water in order to felt them. Since the material was in smaller pieces from the jacket I had to figure out what size squares would fit the material. I wanted them as large as I could manage. I would have preferred them even larger but was limited by the size of the material pieces. Once I had the template scaled to the proper size I cut out all the squares (actually they're triangles just look like squares from the illusion of the final quilt).
I didn't construct this quite like a normal quilt. I decided not to piece and fold under seams as normal. THe thickness of the wool would make the seams too thick and since the pieces are felted they won't unravel. I basically appliqued each piece to the flannel backing. I used a bit of seam tape to help keep everything in place while I was sewing it. I just stitched around each piece and used the zigzag stitch to hold everything together. I decided I wanted to continue the slightly raw edged look of the pieces to the outer edge as well so I just used a serged stitch to finish it off.