|Pattern Description: |
High-waist panties pattern is drafted for stretch wovens and has side zip. I made it in a knit and omitted the zip.
34-42. I would normally make a 38, but this is drafted for stretch woven and I was making a knit so I cut a 34. It fit perfectly, except that I didn't think to do a swayback adjustment and needed one.
A knit from G Street's $2.97/yd table. I thought it was poly but realized halfway through sewing that it was rayon. It is a terrible choice for swimwear, but this is a muslin.
It's lined with a mesh from Lycra4Sale in eBay, $4/yd.
Total cost, including magazine subscription amortization: around $8.
Time to Make:
I made full size pattern pieces of this and cut carefully because of my stripes, and had to do some experimenting to get the elastic on the legs right, but this was a quick make. Probably 3 hours at most.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I like the high waist look and the princess panels in the front for better fitting.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope?
Sort of. I used a knit and made bikini bottoms, rather than satin panties.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
They were fine.
Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
Other than going down two sizes, I didn't alter the pattern at all.
In retrospect, I desperately need a swayback adjustment. The back waist is a little bunchy.
To finish the edges (waist, legs, lower edge of top) I first zigzagged elastic in place. Before elastic, the back of the leg opening was rather gapey and slack. My first try I stretched the elastic to 95%+ on the back, with no stretch along the front leg. That was too tight so I picked it out and stretched the elastic to about 80% on the back. I can live with this but I think it is still slightly tighter than needed. Next time I will do 70-75%. Next time I will also be sewing with proper swimsuit fabric with good recovery, which will help too.
After the elastic was in place, I serged it in place with the knife lifted so I didn't accidentally cut into the elastic. This was purely for aesthetics. What can I say, I like things to look nice on the inside! Then I turned it under and zigzagged in place. I'm really not crazy about how homemade-y zigzagging on the outside looks, but it is not noticeable from more than two feet away, so I will just stick with that method.
I couldn't get perfect stripe matching on the bottoms because of the curves of the seams. I am sure a print-matching master like Amanda S. could have worked some magic on them, but it is beyond my skill level. However, some of the stripes match and that's good enough for me!
I had another trip to the beach, this time to the Outer Banks of North Carolina, so of course I needed a new suit. I was curious to try the high-waisted trend and see how it would work for me. I was afraid that it might emphasize my round belly but in fact it is either neutral or actively flattering to that sensitive area, much to my great surprise. I'll take it!
The blog post is here and the photos are here. The top is reviewed here.