|Colette Patterns: 0003 (Sorbetto) - Type:Tops|
Review submitted in Fabric Stash Contest 2013 Contest
|Viewed 184 times|
Work in Progress
|128 more reviews|
|About sunnysewing |
|Member since: 5/4/12 |
|Reviews written: 94|
|Sewing skills:Advanced Beginner|
|Favored by: 8 people|
|patterns reviewed: 94|
|Posted on:||7/12/13 12:29 PM |
Colette Patterns Pattern Info
|Pattern Rating:||Easy & Great for Beginners |
| This is a work in progress. sunnysewing is currently working on it, but still wants to share it with you. Please feel free to comment on this.|
|Related Links |
|Click on to add a link|
|Pattern Description: Sorbetto Tank. Easy and to the point. |
Pattern Sizing:My measurements put me in the size 6 but looking at the ease I traced and cut a size 4. It fit great on the muslin.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? sort of. I stopped the pleat midway
Were the instructions easy to follow? The instructions are great
Fabric Used:I picked up this silky unknown fabric at Hancocks awhile ago (Sept 15th, 2012) without knowing it's purpose. It was only $1.98 a yard and only 1 1/2 yards were left on the bolt. I really fell in love with the colors and the print so I just had to have it. I knew it would be a challenge to sew because it is so darn slippery.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:I immediately lowered and fixed the bust darts as well as lowering the bottom of the armscye about an inch.
My Problems What is wrong is my fabric choice. The pattern itself is wonderful and the instructions are detailed and straightforward.
I traced out my pattern onto freezer paper making it a complete front and back without cutting on a fold. I then ironed the freezer paper to the tank so the fabric wouldn't slide around when I cut it out. I also tried to sew it together with the freezer paper still attached to utilize the stiffness. This was a mess. It took so much longer to sew this way then peel the freezer paper off. Ugh. I also sewed french seams. I had to use wonder tape to sew the bust darts and that was a mess. I had to wash the tank again before I could press those darts. The fabric frayed so much in the wash.
Another problem was the iron... Setting 3 for polyester was to low and setting 4 for cotton blends burned the fabric. The center pleat never wanted to lay flat.
When I finally got to making the bias tape I measured the neck opening, made and cut the bias tape and went to apply..... it was too short. I threw up my hands here. I'm done for a long time on this one. I don't know if I can bring myself to finish it but I can't bring myself to throw it away either......
Conclusion: I'm going to move on to another project and maybe revisit the sorbetto with a voile or lawn....