|Pattern Description: Shirt dress, has two skirt variations and three sleeve variations. The envelope includes also a slip pattern. This pattern has the bodice drafted separately for A/B, C, D cup sizes.|
Pattern Sizing: 8 - 24, I had the envelope for sizes 8 through 16. After measuring the pattern pieces and comparing to my measurements I ended up by cutting one size smaller from what I would normally need: 12 at the shoulders and bust, 14/16 at waist and hips.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes.
Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, they were, but for one thing, I'm not sure I understood correctly which way to press the pleats, from the way they were formulated.
Another thing is that they tell you to staystitch the neckline very late in the process, right before attaching the collar, when everything else is constructed. I think that, if the neckline had a chance to stretch out, it would do it by that time.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like everything about this dress, but mostly I like that this is a pattern with cup sizes variation, which (usually) saves me from too much work with alterations.
No dislikes, as I skipped the handsewing they recommend at several steps, LOL.
Fabric Used: Rayon. I had 2.40 m of this fabric, and I thought it would be plenty for a dress, but realised that the border print limited me a lot in placing the pattern pieces on the fabric. The print placement is not ideal, on the back yoke, for example the print is upside down, but I hope it's not too obvious.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
* forward shoulder;
* needed to take in the front at the underarm 1 cm, to remove some gaping at the armhole
* shortened the armhole by 1.5 cm on both front and back (3 cm in total);
So far, that's a lot of alterations made to the armhole alone, I hope I'll never want to use the sleeve pattern for this dress, LOL;
* lowered the tip of the front horizontal dart by 1 cm;
* lengthened the center front on the bodice by 1.5 cm and tapered to nothing at the side seams.
* lengthened the skirt by 1.5 cm.
There were a few changes I made due to my lack of fabric:
* my back has a center seam
* I removed 3 cm from the back gathers, but I think there's still plenty of gathers there;
* no pockets, which I mostly regret, as I find myself looking for them every time I put this dress on.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? After all that work to have this pattern fit me, I hope I'll return to it someday, but now I really need a break from it. I recommend it to others, but also recommend to muslin first.
Conclusion: I knew it would be a slightly difficult project for my sewing abilities, as I usually avoid sewing garments that are so fitted. But I jumped in trusting those cup sizes variations, LOL! Then I got too far in the process to give up.
As it often happens to me when I attempt difficult projects, I have times during the process when I start hating something about it. This time it was the fabric print, and I had many moments when I desperately thought it looked costumey...
This was my first stand collar, so if you think it doesn't look right, probably it doesn't. But I can wear my dress with a red belt, and try to make everyone look away from the collar