Pattern Reviews> Seamster Patterns> 1401 (Dandelion dress & top)

Reviewed by:Jstarr4250

See other patterns in this category: Dresses    Tops

Just Make it Sew

Quality Fashion Fabrics

AnneM said... (6/10/14 10:59 AM) Reply
Late to the party, but I love your dress! I am actually looking for a fitted woven top, and this looks like just the pattern for me. As a bonus, I might make the dress. I didn't realize it was designed for pear shapes; that is perfect for me. (I'm sure I'll still have to do a FBA.)
Sew Good said... (11/24/13 2:46 PM) Reply
I have never heard of this pattern company before. What a lovely dress. Thank you for the review!
WatersRat said... (9/28/13 9:11 AM) Reply
Gorgeous!!! ;)
MariannaSew2Pro said... (9/19/13 2:30 AM) Reply
Wow, must give this pattern company a try.
Mimsy Borogoves said... (9/12/13 8:23 PM) Reply
Beautiful fit!!! You look stunning and thanks for reviewing your concern about the darts, I too would have been holding my breath.
velosewer said... (9/12/13 1:45 AM) Reply
Julie. Your version is so stylish and neat. It's divine.
liliv said... (9/11/13 4:55 AM) Reply
So pretty and refined, very stylish! Have I told you that I love your sewing style?
Oh2Sew2 said... (9/10/13 6:22 PM) Reply
Fabulous! I'd really like to consider this one...but I can't do back zippers after mutiple shoulder surgeries, it looks like a side zip would not work in this ~ would you agree?
SavageCoco said... (9/10/13 12:43 PM) Reply
I'm jealous. JEALOUS I tell you. Superbly done.
SewWil said... (9/10/13 12:20 PM) Reply
Wow! This dress is soooo flattering on you. I love a sheath and must have this pattern.
JOshiro said... (9/10/13 12:15 PM) Reply
Very interesting design that really highlights your lovely figure. Well done!
Barbara V said... (9/10/13 12:11 PM) Reply
Pretty dress - lovely lines - and a marvelous fit!
SusiM said... (9/10/13 11:49 AM) Reply
Such a beautiful dress and what a marvelous review! It makes me want to get this NOW NOW!!!
pdiddly said... (9/10/13 10:44 AM) Reply
beautiful looking dress and the fit is perfect
GoodbyeValntino said... (9/10/13 9:59 AM) Reply
Thank you for introducing me to this company! What an interesting and pretty dress. I've always been hesitant to sew French darts but you've certainly put my fear of this technique to rest! Fabulous review, Julie!
lamstu said... (9/10/13 9:38 AM) Reply
I've never seen this company before and I'm glad that I saw your review! Sheath dresses usually don't work that well for me (too many curves in too short of a vertical distance), but now I want to try this interesting dress for myself. The pattern addiction continues... And your dress is gorgeous, even in this muslin.
grays08 said... (9/10/13 9:21 AM) Reply
What a magical little pattern to showcase, how fantastic! Great job and wonderful fit.
Jstarr4250 said... (9/10/13 7:38 AM) Reply
Thank you so much everyone for your nice compliments on this one. Cissie, no it isn't lined. I did finish the seam allowances on my serger, tapering off when I neared the French dart points. Mnitts, I've given the fabric thing a lot of thought. Velosewer's linen version looks great and for the shorter top version I think any fabric would work. I do feel some drape to the fabric is necessary to take full advantage of the lines on the dress length. Personally, I would think twice about an underlining since two layers of fabric might disrupt the smooth darts and seams. A fusible underlining might be a good option if your fabric is a bit too sheer. Or avoid all that and do as I did yesterday - just wear a half slip :)
Danvillegirl said... (9/10/13 5:16 AM) Reply
Great looking dress. Love the side view you provided and that made it a patter I wanted to try.
SewLibra said... (9/10/13 0:48 AM) Reply
I am trying to comment on this beautiful super tailored dress but still laughing about "He got up, unplugged my Bernina and poured out my wine!" commentary on your Flickr. So funny and I dare not share that with DH - yikes! Your dress fits beautifully but I am a bit surprised by the bust darts. You always hear they should be at least an inch in from your bust point and from the side it looks like more. However from the front, it looks perfect! I don't get it but I love it!
margy.64 said... (9/9/13 11:21 PM) Reply
Beautiful, elegant dress. I love everything about it. Thankyou for the detailed and very helpful review.
cleverkitty said... (9/9/13 11:03 PM) Reply
yes I agree great lines great fit, love the look of this dress. Thanks for a great review on this pattern you find the best ones ;)
carrie18584 said... (9/9/13 10:40 PM) Reply
So beautiful! Its so flattering, you look seriously amazing in the dress and it looks comfortable too! I can't wait to get my hands on this pattern as well!
beanchor said... (9/9/13 8:28 PM) Reply
I love this! The fit is impeccable! The piping and fabric are a great combo!
Dale C said... (9/9/13 7:06 PM) Reply
Cool dart details! And I agree, you look great!
mnitts said... (9/9/13 6:10 PM) Reply
Btw do you really think this pattern would work best with softer less structured fabrics?
CissieW said... (9/9/13 5:46 PM) Reply
Wow, Julie. The lines on this dress are incredible. Like you, I have 1000+ sheath dress patterns. Can't hurt to have one more. Is your dress lined?
Vicsguy said... (9/9/13 5:44 PM) Reply
HRigg said... (9/9/13 4:09 PM) Reply
An interesting review and an intriguing pattern. Fantastic fit and I like the little bit of piping.
mnitts said... (9/9/13 4:03 PM) Reply
Agree very helpful review and great looking dress. Thanks for highlighting this one!
Danmar said... (9/9/13 4:00 PM) Reply
I am a bit in awe of you now. Such a nice smooth fit and beautiful workmanship. Cant wait to see your next one too.
trudiz said... (9/9/13 3:40 PM) Reply
Thank you for a helpful and inspiring review. I am immediately going to get the pattern for this magic dress. Yours is beautifully done.
STARG said... (9/9/13 3:24 PM) Reply
Very nice. I must add to my wish list.
pottedpancake said... (9/9/13 3:21 PM) Reply
I'm printing your review pic to hang in my sewing room. It's proof that a perfect fit IS possible, and that meticulous construction & pressing is well worth the effort. What a stunning dress, and what an accomplished seamstress you are. Your finished result is what I've been striving for these past 8 years. WOW. (BTW, if you're pear-shaped, Angelina Jolie is pudgy.)
Re Becca said... (9/9/13 3:11 PM) Reply
This is so elegant and slimming! I may have to get this dress!
Jstarr4250 said... (9/9/13 2:38 PM) Reply
See Dorcas- I told you it's magic!! (Thank you for that comment, though!)
Laurie Lou said... (9/9/13 2:35 PM) Reply
Super super...COol! I love the dart and seam on this dress also. And for that very reason I must get this pattern! Thans for reviewing int and I love your version! And yes I do have a ton of sheath dress patterns. :)
ArtAttack said... (9/9/13 2:29 PM) Reply
Oh, my! This does look like a winner! What great lines. Forgive me, but where's the pear? You look like about a size negative 2 in this! Super find...must check it out.
RoseE said... (9/9/13 2:26 PM) Reply
Great review. Very interesting design on this dress. I've added to my wish list!

by: grays08