Pattern with more than 5 reviews!
|Bluegingerdoll: Mae (Mae) - Type:Tops |
|Viewed 200 times
||1 more reviews|
Review rated Very Helpful
by 1 people
|About froggiegirl |
|Member since: 5/23/09 |
|Reviews written: 76|
|Favored by: 28 people|
|patterns reviewed: 74|
|Posted on:||9/11/13 8:47 AM |
Bluegingerdoll Pattern Info
|Pattern Rating:||Highly Recommend |
|See other patterns in this category: Tops |
|Available for sale on PR: $12.50 (See envelope) |
|Fabric:||Cotton [See other projects in this fabric]|
|Related Links |
|Click on to add a link|
|Pattern Description: |
Mae is a romantic 1940's inspired blouse. Featuring a flattering scalloped front neckline design, kimono sleeves and fitted front and back waist darts for a flattering feminine figure.
4-18 I did a 12-14-16 combo, see the alterations area for more specifics on that.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, other than my alteration that made the neckline a little bigger.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Since this was my first time ever making any kind of button back garment I actually read the directions. Then my brain was all, "I don't want to assimilate this new information," so I had to remind it who was the boss. And bride it with cookies. The silly thing is that it's really just the same as putting buttons in the front but my brain was all Duhhhh?
I think the instructions are good, my brain just wasn't in the mood for learning.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love love love the scalloped neckline, and the back buttons, and the darts... Ok I love everything about it. I'm a bluegingerdoll groupie.
Some vintage quilting cotton purchased off of Etsy. Strawberries on a navy background. How could I say no? This was a 2.5 yard cut of 36 wide cotton and I was able to cut out the larger size of the pattern and still have some left over.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
1. I started with the same 12/14/16 that I used with the Billie Jean dress. Shoulders 12 stopping at armhole notch, waist 14, hip 16, and traced the size 14 dart. The muslin was the right shape for my body but was too tight through out the torso. Decided to do a quick fix of adding 3/4" to the entire side seam.
2. Did my normal 1/2 forward shoulder adjustment.
3. Cut the neckline back 5/8" by tracing the pattern edge on the upper scallops and making the ones in the center larger. I adjusted the back neckline at the shoulder to match the front but did not make the back neckline lower. The facings were then adjusted to match the new neckline.
4. Way back in 2009 when I made my first garment with scallops, I found marking the valley between each scallop really helpful when sewing. That way you know exactly where to pivot the needle and your scallop size doesn't get all irregular. You can mark the seam allowance directly on the fashion fabric with a clear ruler and a disappearing marker/chalk.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes I am going to sew another one for the Mae sew-a-long that starting today! You can check out the Bluegingerdoll blog for details on that.
This was a fun little project other than my routine cursing at the buttonhole attachment. (Some day buttonhole attachment, bang zoom straight to the moon!) The neckline takes little time to press nicely, check Abby's blog for details, but other than that zoom zoom and you're done.
I was completely thrilled with myself to find I can button the whole thing up while wearing it. However for those of you with less arm flexibility you can button the top 3-4 buttons before putting on the blouse and then button the lower half without too much contortion. Or bat your eyelashes and get your other half to help. Hopefully they won't ask you why you made a blouse with buttons on the back in the first place. :P For fashion OK, FASHION!
For my entire flickr set of this garment click here
|Buy this pattern for $12.50 Add to Bag |
<< Previous Next >>
Login to Add a Comment