Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Fabric:Cotton Blend  [See other projects in this fabric]
Related Links
Click on to add a link
Pattern Description:
From Colette's website: Slim dress with high inset waist, gored straight skirt, and scalloped pockets. The wide neckline has a tiny collar formed from a facing in a contrasting fabric. Piping on the neckline and pocket edges is optional. Closes with an invisible side zipper.

Pattern Sizing:
0-18

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Well, yes, except for the patterns fabric choice.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Can I just say that this is the first and only Colette pattern that I own, and the packaging is just brilliant! I love the little booklet-style instructions and tissue patterns are my fave. Speaking of instructions, these were good, although I confess to only referring to them briefly at the beginning of the project.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I sewed this garment up for a friend, and she liked the line drawing from the pattern envelope enough to have a go at it. Please click over to my blogfor more about the reason the dress was made.

Fabric Used:
A super lightweight poly-cotton broadcloth. It's almost like organdy it's so light, but without the crispness. The dress is lined entirely with a regular weight poly-cotton broadcloth.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I lined the entire dress because the fashion fabric was very transparent. I chose the piping option, and piped the collar, armscyes and the pocket edges. The mini collar is a contrasting purple, so I did a small patchon the lining at the CF to keep the colour consistent throughout the dress.

I lengthened the skirt to a decent, chic, flattering knee length. IMHO, it suits the lines of the skirt waaaay better than at mid-thigh.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I don't know if I'll sew it again. And I don't know if I'd recommend it, quite honestly. No one likes posting mediocre reviews of indie patterns, but there's something about this dress that doesn't translate into a real garment somehow. The line drawing is beautiful. I personally am drawn to the line drawing. The shaped midriff, the little collar, deep back neckline and the gored skirt are wonderful, and put all together make a very charming design. But all this gets lost somewhere in the making. I must confess to hating the short length of this. The A-line skirt should be at least knee length to be flattering, IMHO. And the only version I've seen that I really like is Karen's version in wool. Please don't hate me! I'm not a big fan of wrinkled cotton dresses that look like glorified aprons, and yet this dress seems to end up like one. The more I think about it, the more I think it's the short skirt. HOWEVER, I must say that the person that is going to be wearing this dress loves it.

Anyways, you can click over to my blogfor more pics and construction deets.

Conclusion:
I don't know, honestly. It was a fun dress to make; the design is good; the pattern drafting and instructions are really really well done. From a pattern point of view, it's perfect: easy-to-follow instructions and an interesting design. But from a finished object point of view, I'm really on the fence about this one. I think the classic lines need a truly classic fabric and styling - and length, like a LBD in wool or a silk tweed. If I make one out of wool, I'll let you know what I think.... again. ;)
Buy this pattern for $18.00     Add to Bag Add to Bag

thumbsup Pattern with more than 5 reviews!
Sewn Square One
Patterns for Your Style.
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
meadowclark said...
I appreciate your honesty. If it saves someone a whole lot of time and effort....
11/5/13 7:25 AM
lyndle said...
Yes, it's cute, but your apron comment is reverbrating in my head! I'm glad the recipient loves it. Interesting comment, i have one colette pattern i haven't sewn yet, partly because despite the awesome packaging and instructions, i wondered if it would be too cutesy for me. I'll take your advice and look for classic fabrics to do it in.
11/5/13 2:14 PM

(Regular $49.00)

BurdaStyle Magazine 10-2007-117 Blouse
Review by Christina ... on 10/21/07
Read Review

Oliver + S Seashore Sundress Digital Pattern ( Size 5-12 )
Oliver + S Seashore Sundress Digital Pattern ( Size 5-12 )

Price: $15.95

Islander Sewing Systems - MyStyle Greetings
Islander Sewing Systems - MyStyle Greetings

Price: $9.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

McCalls 6949 Pattern ( Size 3-4-5-6 )
McCalls 6949 Pattern ( Size 3-4-5-6 )

Price: $15.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 2265 Pattern ( Size 1/2-1-2-3 )
Simplicity 2265 Pattern ( Size 1/2-1-2-3 )

Price: $13.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us