Pattern Reviews> StyleArc> Amy Knit Top (Amy Knit Top)

Reviewed by:clothingengineer

About clothingengineerstarstarstarstar
Member since: 5/7/10
Posted on:11/5/13 9:01 AM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Regular

StyleArc: Amy Knit Top by clothingengineer
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 7 people
VintageTempest said... (3/15/14 7:26 PM) Reply
It would look cute belted and worn with a pencil skirt. The color is gorgeous on you and I like the cowl. I am a rectangle, so this is something I would wear. But that is because my waist is NOT my beast feature. haha!
sewinglinda said... (11/6/13 8:42 PM) Reply
lovely top I love the colour, I had the same problem with the tent look in my size 10, on one of mine I curved the side seams in a lot at the waist, in another version I stitched three rows of shirring elastic about 1cm apart, in the centre front below the bust.
becca a said... (11/6/13 9:41 AM) Reply
I have shied away from this pattern for the reasons that you don't love it. It is pretty on you, but most of your other projects flatter your tiny waist better.
JDpenelope said... (11/6/13 6:30 AM) Reply
The good news: You look fabulous in this fabric, using the Style Arc Gail Top pattern. Thanks for the review � It seems to me that we must all avoid wearing tents, no matter what our size! That's the problem I see with so many of this voluminous tops. Thanks for reminding me that a pattern with so much fabric won't be a good look on me.
evelynhughes said... (11/5/13 5:33 PM) Reply
Thanks for reviewing. Agree that ad rapier fabric would work and that this top still isn't a total failure! Do you think making the arms a bit tighter would make the top less 'swampy'?
michellep74 said... (11/5/13 12:54 PM) Reply
The color is great on you, but it looks like it's just too big on you--definitely too much ease. Thanks for sharing your review.
clothingengineer said... (11/5/13 10:47 AM) Reply
Thanks marec, I know there's some people out there with a similar body type that follow my reviews, so I feel it is important to post the bad as well as the good so they can hopefully learn from my mistakes :)
marec said... (11/5/13 9:55 AM) Reply
I want to add that I appreciate that you did this review (very helpful) because this is EXACTLY what happens to me when I try to do a similar style. Thank you clothingengineer.
marec said... (11/5/13 9:52 AM) Reply
I think this is a great color on you, and the cowl is cute. What happens if you either reverse the angle or have a straight hem? You are little, and this is just too much going on... :-)
clothingengineer said... (11/5/13 9:17 AM) Reply
grays08 - that's exactly how I feel - comfortable, but lost!
sacjeanie - tying the sides made things worse. It was almost like a bubble skirt.
sacjeanie said... (11/5/13 9:13 AM) Reply
Does tying the garment side pieces help act like a dart to emphasize your waist? The color is lovely and I could see myself wearing something like this with leggings running around.
grays08 said... (11/5/13 9:13 AM) Reply
It's cute and well done, but you are tiny and lost in there! : ( I'd hate to see what it would do on my build with fuller/athletic thighs. I definitely appreciate your review as the drawing is misleading somewhat, but I can tell with the hang that perhaps something with a thinner drape might show the waist a little better.

Amy Butler AB041LI