Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 9406

Simplicity Pattern Info

More Info provided by Chococat

Pattern Rating:Easy & Great for Beginners
Current Tags What is a Tag:
Fabric:Flannel  [See other projects in this fabric]
***I'm not sure why it's not showing the correct pattern image, but here is the original pattern photo.

Pattern Description: This is a 1970s vintage active wear pattern from Simplicity. The pattern is for a stylish tennis dress with shorts underneath - for this project I used only the shorts pattern.

Here are my pajama shorts!

Pattern Sizing: Misses 10

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? This is a very basic shorts design. It has a gathered elastic waist, no darts, and consist of four main pieces for front and back. With the exception of my modifications, it looks exactly like the illustration.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Super easy! Although I have not sewn the dress, I plan on doing so in the future. I'm pleased to say the instructions are very simple and straight forward. The shorts were quick and easy to accomplish. They are a great project if you have that itch to sew something small, or are in dire need of shorts, fast.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? The design is vintage, and by that I mean it has the super high waist that many garments from that era featured. This might be awesome to you, or it might look kind of fuddy-duddy, it's all a matter of personal preference. I made significant alterations to this pattern to suit my needs, which any of you could easily do - regardless of experience level.

Fabric Used: Cupcake printed flannel. <3 I am making a full length pair of pajama pants from this material. I didn't want to waste the scraps, so I made them into pj shorts.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I dropped the waist about 2.5" for each piece. I also added a decorative draw string to the elastic waist. I sewed the ribbon into the side seams and added button holes to the front. I also added a gusset to keep the shorts from riding up my crotch - something girls with ample bottoms might find with these shorts, as they have a very high cut. You may notice in my picture, they are short-shorts! ;)

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I totally recommend this to others. You can find it on Etsy or Ebay, it's all over the place! I think it's cute, and I'm looking forward to making the dress. This pattern is very easy to modify for other uses; I consider it a good "bare bones" pattern.

Conclusion:
I'm happy to have used my material in an effective way! I hate wasting things, especially a material as cute as this. I'm glad I had just enough to make these shorts, they're comfy and cute! I even made a matching sleep mask.
Renren said...
I like the idea of the decorative ribbon attached to the side seams and making its way through the elastic waist casing. I like the matching sleep mask, too. Cute fabric.
3/7/14 11:50 AM