Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5678 (Misses'/Misses' Petite Shirt and Sash)

Review submitted in 2014 Fitted Blouse - Skill Level BEGINNER Contest

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 21 people
MrsCharisma said... (4/23/14 12:24 PM) Reply
Thank you!!!
Bon.the beginner said... (4/22/14 9:33 AM) Reply
Beginner? Bah! Your talent belies that of a beginner... you've mastered so many difficult techniques in one piece. Amazing work!
MrsCharisma said... (4/7/14 4:28 PM) Reply
Thanks!!
mnitts said... (4/6/14 4:43 PM) Reply
This looks so sharp. Well done!
Margaret said... (4/6/14 10:11 AM) Reply
Very nice! Great fit!
MrsCharisma said... (4/4/14 10:43 AM) Reply
Thanks! acmena - thank you for the detailed tip! I am filing that away!!
acmena said... (4/4/14 5:29 AM) Reply
Great work, MrsCharisma. Hard to believe you have been sewing for such a short time. I have two tips that might help with those pesky cuffs. I find it easier to edge stitch than topstitch, using my blind hem foot, needle to the left and blade to the right...works every time. To get around the right angle bend at the bottom of the cuff, without the fabric digging into the feed dogs, thread a needle with a piece of thread 12-18" long. Align the ends and take a stitch through the cuff at the corner. Align the loose ends with the needle end, so that you have 4 threads to grab onto. Stitch to the corner, turn, grab the threads and pull in the opposite direction to which you are stitching, guiding the cuff with your free hand. After stitching about 2" along the bottom of the cuff, pull out the thread and repeat at the next corner. This works for collar points as well.
Eli cat said... (4/3/14 7:05 PM) Reply
Perfect!I love it! I will get the pattern!
MrsCharisma said... (4/3/14 6:21 AM) Reply
Thank you! I really love it!
sanntech9 said... (4/2/14 10:22 PM) Reply
Love the cuff and white on collar stand makes the blouse stand out
beanchor said... (4/1/14 6:04 PM) Reply
This is great! Good Job!
TammyMJZ said... (4/1/14 1:05 PM) Reply
Love this shirt! Great job on the stripes too.
Baja Susana said... (4/1/14 9:25 AM) Reply
This is a winner. I love stripes, and the crisp white collar and cuffs are perfect. This fits you well, and your smile shows that you are pleased with the result. Good work.
MrsCharisma said... (4/1/14 9:14 AM) Reply
Thank you everyone! oh Myra, you make me blush!
Erin Sooit said... (3/31/14 11:28 PM) Reply
What a great blouse! Thanks so much for your review, now I want this pattern! You look very pleased in your pics, and I think it's because you've sewn a winner blouse!
clothingengineer said... (3/31/14 8:59 PM) Reply
You did a fantastic job!
1SewSweet said... (3/31/14 8:51 PM) Reply
Oh my goodness, what more can be said about this BEAUTIFUL shirt you created! I love everything about it! Can you make me one too?? I think I'm going to have to borrow your idea because this truly is a GREAT one!
jdk said... (3/31/14 3:41 PM) Reply
I've been wanting to make this shirt, so your review is right on time. Great looking/fitting shirt!
MrsCharisma said... (3/31/14 2:53 PM) Reply
Thanks everyone! Alpine Queen, that is a great suggestion and I hadn't thought of that. I totally had one of my husband's shirts nearby too, looking at details as I went!
Alpine Queen said... (3/31/14 2:06 PM) Reply
Great job, great fit, loved the contrasting parts. I also like how you're not afraid to do a snug fit despite a blessed chest. Thanks for the link giving additional info on doing an FBA. Most sites keep the enlarged waist, I also don't have a big ribcage. It looks like this pattern just has a turned under front band then topstitched. Have you ever allowed a bit extra then enclosed the raw edge in a tuck, giving the illusion of a separate band? Makes for a nice finish if you don't have to match a vertical pattern and helps keep a horizontal pattern in line. I copied that idea from my hub's RTW shirts many years ago.
detroy said... (3/31/14 2:01 PM) Reply
It looks great - and so fabulous on you!
ntpolite said... (3/31/14 1:51 PM) Reply
Awesome. I'm so impressed. you did an excellent job. looks like a RTW dress shirt I have in my closet now.
KensingtonCrab said... (3/31/14 1:27 PM) Reply
Wow! How great is that!!??
annem54 said... (3/31/14 10:56 AM) Reply
This is a beautiful blouse and it fits well. I will try the tips you mentioned next time.
CraftAddict said... (3/31/14 10:44 AM) Reply
Great fit!
sewmytime said... (3/31/14 10:03 AM) Reply
Beautiful!
Barbara V said... (3/31/14 9:54 AM) Reply
Your shirt looks terrific on you. All of your careful alterations resulted in a perfect fit!
threaddy said... (3/31/14 9:50 AM) Reply
Fantastic review...very thorough and helpful. The blouse/shirt looks great on you. It fits very well and is sewn showing much skill. BRAVO!!!!
kjcaron said... (3/31/14 9:31 AM) Reply
Beautiful blouse! You did a fantastic job on it!
MrsCharisma said... (3/31/14 9:03 AM) Reply
THANK YOU! SewLibra I normally breeze through so many sites in a day but this time I remembered to keep track of where I got my tips so I could link up! I am always grateful when people do that so I wanted to be sure I remembered :) Oh Aixiose I think about it and then realize all the stuff I do not know! :)
LlanoGirl said... (3/31/14 8:16 AM) Reply
Beautiful job, I am really impressed with your shirt. Fits you great!
knitmachinequeen said... (3/31/14 7:43 AM) Reply
Love it. The contrasting collar and cuffs made this super special. It's looks like high-end RTW and fits you perfectly. You did an awesome job. TFS
Sheila457 said... (3/31/14 7:26 AM) Reply
Lovely shirt.
trinicity said... (3/31/14 7:10 AM) Reply
very cute shirt, love the white contrast.
msschiel said... (3/31/14 6:02 AM) Reply
Very nice! Good job matching up the stripes! I had started muslin with a similar butterick pattern, but haven't had time to work on it!
Danvillegirl said... (3/31/14 5:29 AM) Reply
Very nice shirt! Really flattering on you!
persevering said... (3/31/14 4:25 AM) Reply
Congratulations - your well-fitted beautiful shirt is awesome!
Quickie said... (3/31/14 2:27 AM) Reply
Lovely shirt and great work with the fitting and the stripes
SewLibra said... (3/31/14 2:14 AM) Reply
What a great shirt and equally great review! Thank you for all the links. Your shirt fits you so well, as it should for a fitted shirt. Wonderful job on the alterations, stripe matching, and contrast fabric.
Margie T said... (3/31/14 1:09 AM) Reply
Great job! A beautiful shirt with a great fit. Congratulations!
wildberrymom said... (3/31/14 1:02 AM) Reply
Nice shirt--great job!
RMJ said... (3/31/14 0:12 AM) Reply
Great fit and love the contrast
Aixoise said... (3/30/14 11:52 PM) Reply
Beautiful! Your collar points, topstitching - all the details - are superb. I vote for a promotion - to Intermediate at least. Lovely shirt making.
slmstyle said... (3/30/14 10:50 PM) Reply
Great shirt! It looks so professionally made, I have a shirt just like this I bought at Ann Taylor! Well done. Best of luck in the contest :)
ArtAttack said... (3/30/14 10:01 PM) Reply
Great looking shirt! Very crisp and smart with the white collar and cuffs. Looks like you achieved a really good fit, too!
imsewcrazy said... (3/30/14 10:00 PM) Reply
Beautiful! This is so well made! It looks great on you!
MaryMacTree said... (3/30/14 9:30 PM) Reply
Nice! Wow what a beautiful top. Well done!
MrsCharisma said... (3/30/14 8:35 PM) Reply
Thank you everyone for the kind words!
tlc246 said... (3/30/14 8:01 PM) Reply
Sharp!
jannw said... (3/30/14 7:49 PM) Reply
Great job!! Love the contrast and your top stitching is beautiful!
Christas said... (3/30/14 7:42 PM) Reply
VERY nice work! Your new blouse looks fantabulous on you! :-)
Lagolden2 said... (3/30/14 7:28 PM) Reply
I love those princess seams- when done right you get a close fit- that shirt looks so smart-
TJSEWS said... (3/30/14 7:22 PM) Reply
Wow - this shirt fits you beautifully. And I love the white contrasting cuffs and stand. I love the stripe fabric. I love everything about it. Fabulous!
Twinset said... (3/30/14 7:06 PM) Reply
Beautiful!
Jrhee said... (3/30/14 6:57 PM) Reply
Love your blouse! I might have to copy your white cuffs and neck band facing someday!
supizoo said... (3/30/14 6:47 PM) Reply
Oh my! This is really really good. The shape, fit, fabric, everything is beautiful. That collar stand and cuff: beautifully done!
kajero said... (3/30/14 6:41 PM) Reply
Awesome. Looks wonderful on you! The details are great! MrsCharisma . . . You are such an excellent seamstress I am becoming afraid to meet you!
the_caroler said... (3/30/14 6:37 PM) Reply
Very nice looking!
Sew Whatever said... (3/30/14 6:28 PM) Reply
This style really suits you!
Sheenagh said... (3/30/14 6:15 PM) Reply
Love it! All that hard work and attention to detail pays off! You look great :)

Serendipity Studio Sew Serendipity Bag (book