Online Sewing Class: Bust Adjustments

Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 08-2005-103 (Pleated V-neck Top)

Viewed 2051 times

Posted on:8/9/05 10:57 AM
Last Updated:6/6/11 6:43 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 10 people

ggf2005 said... (6/7/11 4:35 PM) Reply
very pretty Leslie! Are you coming this way for Martha Pullen's market this month?
sewing for fun said... (6/6/11 9:13 PM) Reply
I would also love to see a photo of the gap-osis fix curved dart technique. I think your top is very pretty, and such a fresh wonderful color! I have the opposite challenge in bust fitting, so I hope it might work for me
lauraborealis said... (10/20/05 1:51 PM) Reply
I'm not picturing your neckline gaposis solution very well, but I think it's something I need, considering a few recent wadders. Can you show a pic of your pattern?
Lee Ann Hawkins said... (8/12/05 5:03 PM) Reply
You do such lovely work, such an eye for design. Bertha is the best dressed dressform! Thanks for the informative review, and the warning for us less endowed gals.
Nancy K said... (8/12/05 8:33 AM) Reply
I HAVE SOME STRETCH SILK CHARMEUSE THAT IS TO MATCH MY LINING FOR A SUIT THAT I AM PLANNING. DO YOU THINK THAT I COULD MAKE THIS TOP OR WOULD I HAVE TO ADD A SIDE ZIPPER?
Judy Williment said... (8/10/05 11:47 PM) Reply
Bertha sure is getting a fabulous wardrobe! Would it work to topstitch the pleats to just under the bust to flatten the fullness where you don't need it?
Jennifer shaw said... (8/10/05 3:49 PM) Reply
I think that it is really pretty on Bertha and it would look great on you.
kmouse said... (8/10/05 7:29 AM) Reply
Very nice top and great review. I have this pattern pegged as well so I appreciate your review as well as others comments.
MaryBeth said... (8/10/05 6:23 AM) Reply
You've been sewing! I agree: raise the empire line to underbust for a better fit. To rid further droopy use fitted sleeves or none at all. Nice try so far.
JDpenelope said... (8/10/05 4:14 AM) Reply
Your top is much more interesting than the Burda photos. This review is both witty (as usual) and informative. Maybe with some of the changes suggested, your thoughtful efforts will be better rewarded--But I must agree with others that the camera loves it on Bertha!
drsue said... (8/9/05 7:15 PM) Reply
I agree with Phillis regarding pattern changes. I have the same issue with gathers starting too low down.
SewTabby said... (8/9/05 7:14 PM) Reply
So THAT'S what this top really looks like. You're right, it is hard to tell from the Burda photos. I love the color fabric you chose, but I might steer clear of this one myself--my breasts are not pendulous, nor do I particularly want them to look that way. However, I can see that it suits Bertha to a T and would like to see it on you before I make up my mind...
Jill Giard said... (8/9/05 6:25 PM) Reply
Thanks for the detailed review. I am considering making this top - I will definately be referencing your experience! I do love the retro look of it.
Vonnevo said... (8/9/05 6:09 PM) Reply
Great review Leslie :) I like the vintage look to this one too. Love to see a pic of you wearing it too. I am sure it looks wonderful on you.
hongkongshopper said... (8/9/05 5:29 PM) Reply
Really nice vintage feel to it. Thanks for the early morning laugh!
Ann Smith said... (8/9/05 4:52 PM) Reply
Very cool. Bertha and I love it.
PhyllisC said... (8/9/05 2:53 PM) Reply
I see what you mean about the long pendulous drape - but if you raised the inverted V of the bodice to a point just under your bust I'll bet it would look terrific.
touran said... (8/9/05 2:41 PM) Reply
Every time I see that shade of green in the picture, I know it's your review!! I like how it turned it - very pretty. I didn't occur to me that the ease in the top that I filled up to the max, maybe would be too baggy for a smaller cup size. The pictures don't really show much. Any chance to see the top on you? I bet it looks quite lovely.
Mary Stiefer said... (8/9/05 1:37 PM) Reply
This top looks fabulous. I can't imagine anyone lambasting you about any of your creations. They are all lovely.
Stacy Sews said... (8/9/05 1:25 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review. I have traced the pattern, but haven't found the right fabric. I'm like you, not busty, so I'll be looking for super drapey! thanks again, I found your review very helpful!
Hilary said... (8/9/05 1:18 PM) Reply
LOL-you don't have the ingredients to make a muffin top, Leslie! It does look good on your model! Maybe you could post a pic on you? I had a sixth grade teacher w/ the pendulous breast problem, and boy, I know that could be bad...but I can't imagine anything could look bad on you!
Lisa Laree said... (8/9/05 12:57 PM) Reply
I agree...it looks good on Bertha! The droop factor may be partly due to the fabric; the crossover style t I made from this (same color, even!) rayon/cotton blend wants to droop at the neckline...I gotta be careful how I set the neckline when I put it on. ;)
Gigi Louis said... (8/9/05 12:49 PM) Reply
Very pretty! Leslie, I don't think you could have a muffin top if you tried. I too was drawn to this top - I'm hopeful it will camouflage my tummy.
kethry said... (8/9/05 12:38 PM) Reply
This is lovely. The rolled hem sleeves look really great. I also like the retro look of the top. Too bad it is too drapey.
Frogstitcher said... (8/9/05 11:55 AM) Reply
Very pretty. Your top looks lovely on Bertha. I love the color. Thank you for this review. I'm "delicately endowed" as well and I had thoughts of making this top. Now I know better.

BurdaStyle Magazine 08-2013-106