Online Sewing Class: Create a Jacket Muslin

Pattern Reviews> Burda> 8530 (Dress and jacket)

Reviewed by:Cathy Loves Fabric

About Cathy Loves Fabricstar
Member since: 4/16/04
Posted on:10/8/05 7:04 AM
Last Updated:1/15/06 10:29 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized
Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 10 people
See other patterns in this category: Plus
U. Chicago said... (8/18/07 8:50 AM) Reply
What a brilliant idea about using those little 1/4" dots from office supply (they use them in libraries too) to mark pattern dots and notches! I may never need to make tailor's tacks again!
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (1/20/06 4:36 AM) Reply
Hi PKpudlin, I couldn't find a pvt msg button for you. A FBA is a full bust adjustment which I do based on the book Fit For Real People. You can find information on the book in the book review section or on Amazon.com. And thanks.
PKPudlin said... (1/19/06 6:20 PM) Reply
Great review! Sorry to sound so 'out of it', but what is "FBA" and "FFRP"? Thanks so much!
Sewliz said... (1/17/06 7:47 AM) Reply
Wow, that looks really good! The jacket is beautiful and goes so well with the rest of the lovely outfit!
Marlene J said... (1/16/06 6:57 PM) Reply
Great jacket, and it looks so nice with the skirt and top. I haven't sewn anything in a long time....I hope I haven't forgotten how. You inspire me!
Esmerelda Twinpalms said... (1/16/06 5:31 PM) Reply
Thank you for the photo. Great jacket, great pulled together look with your skirt and top. I'm so happy to see plus sized photos of great-looking women. Good job!
stitchwitch said... (1/16/06 10:11 AM) Reply
The jacket looks great on you! As a curvy girl myself, its good to see how flattering this style looks in reality - thankyou.
MarilynB said... (1/16/06 9:27 AM) Reply
Your jacket looks better than the pattern envelope. Great review.
Frogstitcher said... (1/16/06 8:49 AM) Reply
Very lovely outfit.
Lori V said... (1/16/06 7:49 AM) Reply
Very pretty outfit, you have a great eye for color.
Peggy L said... (1/16/06 7:25 AM) Reply
This looks beautiful on you. Nice outfit.
Nickle said... (1/16/06 6:19 AM) Reply
Your jacket looks very nice on you.
jlg said... (1/16/06 5:05 AM) Reply
Another beautiful outfit.
MaryBeth said... (1/16/06 1:58 AM) Reply
I'm working on a notched shawl collar as we speak. I like it but what Georgene said. Yours looks wonderful and I truly appreciate all the effort you've made to supply pictures with your great review. Your work and ensemble is truly lovely.
Lou05 said... (1/16/06 1:01 AM) Reply
Cathy, You've done a beautiful job and this is an excellent outfit. You have a good eye for color and design and knowing what is flattering on you. Thanks for the great review, too.
Georgene said... (1/16/06 0:22 AM) Reply
What a great looking ensemble! I wish I get a closer view of your details. By the way, a notched shawl collar is an honorable alternative to a 'regular' notch. There are a lot of them out there in RTW recently. They can be tricky though, to get both sides to match.
CatherineN said... (1/15/06 11:42 PM) Reply
This outfit looks good on you. The jacket is becoming and the fabric is nice.
Debbie Cook said... (1/15/06 11:40 PM) Reply
I love this! Olive greens are my favorite colors. And those shoes ... perfect!! Good, helpful review. :)
Sherril Miller said... (1/15/06 11:11 PM) Reply
Cathy, you nailed those alterations. This looks great on you. Congratulations!
Lori Sews said... (1/15/06 11:06 PM) Reply
Very pretty.
Dmd4106 said... (1/15/06 10:42 PM) Reply
A nice looking jacket. Thx for taking the time to add photo. It looks good on u. even w/ yr eyes closed :)
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (10/9/05 2:44 PM) Reply
Mary Beth, It is frustrating not to have a picture, but I figure a review is better than no review at all. A digital camera is not in the budget and all my attempts to get decent 35mm shots are so time consuming and expensive I gave up. Finally, I decided there are so few plus size reviews that a "no photo" might be better than nothing.
AnneM said... (10/9/05 8:25 AM) Reply
Burda does tend to run smaller. Great design lines on this.
MaryBeth said... (10/9/05 6:05 AM) Reply
I got curious so I searched out the Vogue 7022 pattern (OOP)http://www.sandrabetzina.com/patterns.php I **wish** that "no photo available" wasn't true but thanks for reviewing this pattern anyway. I wonder how the dress would turn out... :)
Irene Q said... (10/8/05 1:26 PM) Reply
Thanks for the sizing info - I've got this one, too. A lot of patterns run large for me in the shoulders, so maybe this one will be just right!
Jules/Vancouver BC said... (10/8/05 1:08 PM) Reply
thanks for the review - I have this pattern and have alread picked out the fabric for it - I'm just waiting until I've lost the 'prednisone weight' to make it up!

Burda 9511