Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> Blouses Skirts and Pants (Split Top)

Reviewed by:Deepika

About Deepikastarstarstarstar
MA United States
Member since: 11/28/01
Posted on:11/21/05 7:19 AM
Last Updated:11/20/05 8:46 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 17 people
ChristineX said... (1/7/06 5:53 PM) Reply
Beautiful top, beautiful skirt! Great outfit!
Collette McManus said... (12/1/05 4:17 PM) Reply
This looks absolutely FABULOUS on you! Great dress!
Collette McManus said... (12/1/05 4:13 PM) Reply
This looks absolutely FABULOUS on you! Great outfit!
Hilary said... (11/25/05 11:07 AM) Reply
Deepika, your top (the whole outfit really!) is *stunning*!! I hadn't read this review before looking at the PRwknd pics, and I kept wondering if you made this ensemble-you look GORGEOUS! Love the color on you too-thanks for the tips!
JDpenelope said... (11/22/05 9:03 AM) Reply
Deepika, Thanks a lot !
milwaukee_kelly said... (11/22/05 8:09 AM) Reply
Deepika this was truly gorgeous on you! The design details, the color, everything.
Deepika said... (11/22/05 6:45 AM) Reply
Cover of the magazine: Blouses Shirts and Trousers Fall 2005
Tipseysmum said... (11/22/05 5:22 AM) Reply
I know you are terribly busy, but if you have time, can you post a photo of the magazine cover? I might have found a source for it online, but want to be sure I'm getting the right issue.
JDpenelope said... (11/22/05 4:55 AM) Reply
JDpenelope said... (11/22/05 3:21 AM) Reply
I wonder how many people you have inspired to find this pattern. You've come a long way, baby!
Dmd4106 said... (11/21/05 11:59 PM) Reply
What a lovely outfit.! I'm sorry too I didn't get to see/meet you. I will be there next year!
fesnina said... (11/21/05 5:29 PM) Reply
Sorry I missed the opportunity to see you model that in person. Looks great Deepika! What a great outfit - top and skirt are perfect for you.
Nickle said... (11/21/05 6:42 AM) Reply
Oh, that looks absoultely beautiful on you.
Karla Kizer said... (11/21/05 5:26 AM) Reply
I thought that Deepika had cheated and worn RTW to the Friday dinner at PR Weekend. It's a great outfit, suitable for just about any gotta-look-chic event. Perfect.
Janice C. said... (11/21/05 4:49 AM) Reply
Deepika - that is such an amazing outfit. BTW the pattern is also in the December 2004 issue of Burda WOF - and I am so inspired by your outfit that I' m off to trace it right now ! I have a nice piece of Black jersey from Emmaonesock that will be perfect. Thanks again for the inspiration - and I really MUST learn to post photos !
Katharine in BXL said... (11/20/05 11:38 PM) Reply
Stunning! Gorgeous w/ that skirt.
sew obsessed said... (11/20/05 10:08 PM) Reply
Just beautiful.
2BSewing said... (11/20/05 8:28 PM) Reply
Wow! Your outfit is beautiful.
MarilynB said... (11/20/05 7:36 PM) Reply
Deepika, you look terrific in this outfit. Having seen this in person at PR Weekend, it was even better in person and the fabric felt so wonderful.
Deepika said... (11/20/05 7:24 PM) Reply
Nina I meant on either side. Basically the way its constructed is that the top piece is sewn to the bottom (main body) piece and you stitch a little on both sides and leave the center open. Does that make sense? So I stitched a bit more than they recommended for some extra coverage. Stabilizing the seam allowances is also a must.

Lorna Thanks for pointing out that this pattern is in Dec 2004 Burda WOF.

Everyone thanks so much for your nice comments. The skirt in the photo is Kwik Sew 3032, another one of my favorites. Gabrielle Yes, thats how I feel, knit don't have to be casual and with such great quality knits available to us these days we can make evening outfits with them. They are just so much more easier to make and even more comfortable. The skirt is elastic waist so I had no problem gobbling down those yummy potato crouquettes.
Jennifer shaw said... (11/20/05 4:49 PM) Reply
Love, love, love it! Truely a marvel on you and what a stupendous design.
PhyllisC said... (11/20/05 4:37 PM) Reply
Yo Deepika! This is outstanding work and a perfect marriage of fabric and design. Maybe in my next lifetime I can have a figure like yours.
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (11/20/05 4:15 PM) Reply
Here is an example of a modest outfit that is absolutely sexy and stunning. I love it.
Vonnevo said... (11/20/05 4:15 PM) Reply
WOW !!! Just gorgeous and stunning Deepika.
Danvillegirl said... (11/20/05 3:40 PM) Reply
Lovely outfit. Looks great!
Lori Sews said... (11/20/05 3:31 PM) Reply
Gorgeous!! You have a talent for picking out flattering fabric. This outfit is beautiful on you.
Lorna C. Newman said... (11/20/05 2:31 PM) Reply
For those who have back issues of WOF, this ensemble is in the Dec 04 issue.
Modiste Madness said... (11/20/05 2:12 PM) Reply
Absolutely wonderful!
Tini said... (11/20/05 1:39 PM) Reply
Wow, it came out great and looks so much better than in the drawing! I'm so glad, that I gave you the mag :) You look absolutly gorgeous. I love the skirt too!
eleda said... (11/20/05 1:18 PM) Reply
Wow! Just gorgeous.
Georgene said... (11/20/05 12:53 PM) Reply
This outfit was truly great in person. I didn't realize that it was a last minute sort of 'uh oh I need something to wear' item.
gabrielle said... (11/20/05 12:40 PM) Reply
Wow! I think this is your most gorgeous outfit yet. *Very* glamorous, and thanks for the reminder that knits don't have to be casual.
CarolynGM said... (11/20/05 12:38 PM) Reply
Very striking, sophisticated looking top. The style is just wonderful on you.
mamacita said... (11/20/05 12:32 PM) Reply
You have certainly tamed the knit beast (can't you tell ? I am still on the learning curve with the new knits!) This is a beautiful creation!
Lorna C. Newman said... (11/20/05 12:20 PM) Reply
Very old Hollywood glam! I found the issue, it is the current issue of the Blouse, Skirt and Pant series, E853. It is out now apparently. aren't most of these patterns in regular WOF issues as well?
Elona said... (11/20/05 11:52 AM) Reply
Dynamite! With long sleeves, as Sherrill suggested, in a black knit, this would be high-drama, 1940s film noir glamour.
Evatgirl73 said... (11/20/05 11:24 AM) Reply
Stunning outfit on you Deepika!!
Pam Z said... (11/20/05 10:44 AM) Reply
WOW! You look lovely in your new outfit. Very flattering haircut too!
Stacy Sews said... (11/20/05 10:35 AM) Reply
Fantastic outfit - it looks great on you. I also love the skirt. Thanks for the review, I'm usually afraid to work with knits - I just might have to try this one.
drsue said... (11/20/05 10:33 AM) Reply
OuuLaLa! So nice on you! Must have been great meeting Tini in person too.
Maychi said... (11/20/05 10:33 AM) Reply
Wow, Deepika, you look stunning! I love your whole outfit!
Mary Stiefer said... (11/20/05 10:29 AM) Reply
Great looking pattern. I love the split in the top- it really makes it extra special.
Diane E said... (11/20/05 10:20 AM) Reply
Beyond stunning! I love it! Thanks for all the detail in your review.
ClaireC said... (11/20/05 9:57 AM) Reply
We saw this outfit Friday night at PR Weekend and it is stunning and perfect for Deepika. Thank you for reviewing.
bunz said... (11/20/05 9:56 AM) Reply
Wow! This is so great on you! Glad you had a chance to sew something :-) Do you mean the stitching you changed is 3" above and below the slit?
PVA said... (11/20/05 9:53 AM) Reply
Ohmygosh, Deepika, You've really hit a homerun with this outfit! It is beautiful! & that color on you is smashing! Thanks so much for the review!
sewlily said... (11/20/05 9:52 AM) Reply
You look wonderful. I love both the skirt and the top. Such a perfect match.
Leora said... (11/20/05 9:46 AM) Reply
What a beautiful top! The details are interesting and it fits perfectly. A gorgeous fall outfit!
Leslie in Austin said... (11/20/05 9:34 AM) Reply
This top and matching skirt was especially bee-oooooo--tee-ful in person. Tres sexy.
Patti B said... (11/20/05 9:33 AM) Reply
Soooo gorgeous! Very helpful review too. So many of Burda's tops are a bit more va-va-voom than necessary; glad this was easily altered to cover the lingerie.
MB at YarnUiPhoneApp said... (11/20/05 9:32 AM) Reply
I like the rhinestone zipper idea. That's a hot idea and would your make your top a conversation piece. Now exactly what issue of Burda Magazines is this?
Tailypo said... (11/20/05 9:29 AM) Reply
Deepika, this is a beautiful outfit! It has been really fun watching your sewing progress over the years here on PR, and inspiring to see the results that you have gotten from your devotion to sewing -- while developing and maintaining this site, too -- brava!
Sherril Miller said... (11/20/05 9:27 AM) Reply
It looks like you turned the top into a dress with that matching skirt. I'm sure you could find some sleeves to add for a warmer winter outfit. You look adorable in it. I wish I could have seen it in person.
Peggy L said... (11/20/05 9:08 AM) Reply
That is gorgeous on you!!! What a great top!
G_l_e_n_d_a said... (11/20/05 9:02 AM) Reply
Wow - you look like a movie star; very glam!
Sew it seams said... (11/20/05 8:59 AM) Reply
Wow!!! You look FABULOUS in that outfit Deepika! The fabric and the fit are both perfect. I love it!
els said... (11/20/05 8:58 AM) Reply
You and your new top with the matching skirt look gorgeous.
GorgeousFabrics said... (11/20/05 8:47 AM) Reply
I love it! This outfit is even more stunning in person than it is in the photograph! -Ann

by: jenleeC