Pattern Reviews> Fashion Sewing Group> 1945 (Jacket)

Reviewed by:joan

About joanstar
Member since: 1/4/03
Posted on:12/11/05 10:39 PM
Last Updated:5/21/06 8:08 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 21 people

MadeByMeg said... (1/11/12 8:06 PM) Reply
Hi! Some of us thought it would be fun to get all Bay Area sewists together and plan something fun. I created a meet-up for us to put some events together. If you're interested, join here:
wvsher said... (5/22/06 10:31 AM) Reply
Both jackets look great. I like your version better than the one on the package.
Patti B said... (5/22/06 10:09 AM) Reply
I love both of your jackets. The black one looks very handy for California summers.
ryan's mom said... (5/22/06 8:55 AM) Reply
What a great review! I've never tried these patterns, but am going to be checking them out now. And I love seeing hip, stylish, and beautiful 60+ year old bodies! Gives us something to look forward to. You sure you got your age right? :)
regine said... (5/22/06 1:42 AM) Reply
Very professional, it looks great.
Rhoda K said... (5/21/06 10:00 PM) Reply
I'm so glad to see one of Nancy's patterns reviewed here. It looks so good on you and you look good in it! I saw her at a sewing expo in '98 and was immediately hooked by her common sense approach to sewing and style, for any age.
carolynw said... (5/21/06 9:12 PM) Reply
Beautiful fitting jacket - had been looking at this pattern and wondering. Will now keep it in mind for future use - the results look so good!!
Lori V said... (5/21/06 9:02 PM) Reply
Another great looking jacket.
Peggy L said... (5/21/06 8:59 PM) Reply
Another winner. Looks really nice.
Danvillegirl said... (12/13/05 4:26 AM) Reply
Lovely jacket. I made this pattern once with fairly good results. Seeing yours reminded me that I still have this pattern and perhaps should try it again. Your jacket fits well and the color is good on you,
Lori V said... (12/12/05 9:29 PM) Reply
Gorgeous jacket
Jennifer shaw said... (12/12/05 8:10 PM) Reply
Thank you joan for sharing this gorgeous jacket from FSG! Thanks for more inspiration to try this very pretty pattern, that has made me wonder if I could pull it off.
joan said... (12/12/05 3:59 PM) Reply
Thanks, all of you for your encouraging and flattering comments. Responding to Martha and Peggy L. I will watch for your garments after your test muslins.....Curlypurl, I do hope you will make the pattern that is in your stash. Just take your time.........Queendom, that is a good idea, I will review the workbook soon..........bes, the skirt pattern in the photo is Simplicity 4787. I did not use any of the flounces or pleats. Since it is so basic, didn't bother to review it. I think the reason that you are attracted to it is, ithe pattern is very slightly pegged.
bes said... (12/12/05 2:34 PM) Reply
This is wonderful and fits beautifully. I like the looks and fit of your skirt, too. What pattern did you use for it?
Queendom said... (12/12/05 11:28 AM) Reply
Joan, you did a terrific job. Would you consider reviewing Nancy's new book? I've been thinking about purchasing it, but I really hate buying "sight unseen".
Nickle said... (12/12/05 11:18 AM) Reply
The outfit is gorgeous and looks fantastic on your young 71 year old bod!!
CSY said... (12/12/05 10:52 AM) Reply
Joan very inspiring review and photo.
Mary Stiefer said... (12/12/05 8:25 AM) Reply
Holy Moley - did you say 71 year old body - NO WAY. You look fantastic and the outfit you made shows off all your attributes. What a great looking suit and you are right - that shade of blue is perfect for you.
GorgeousFabrics said... (12/12/05 8:22 AM) Reply
What a lovely jacket. Your fabric is to die for! -Ann
MaryBeth said... (12/12/05 8:14 AM) Reply
Verrry sharp looking, Joan! I'm sure you'll wear it more than you think. The fabric is wonderful. Thanks for a great review of this pattern and your recommendation that it works for the less than advanced sewist.
Liane M said... (12/12/05 7:15 AM) Reply
Oh my! Joan your jacket is great, and it looks great on you. I enjoy reading your reviews.
Peggy L said... (12/12/05 7:06 AM) Reply
Joan-this looks wonderful on you!! I have just finished my muslin for this and am going to get started after the holidays. Can't wait to see yourr next creation.
VtMartha said... (12/12/05 6:18 AM) Reply
What a wonderful coincidence! I am working on this jacket (the original version) in Shannon Gifford's muslin class. My measurements, except for height, are very similar to yours. I'm trying a size 16 with lots of adjustments. I really like the concept of having a pattern that fits that I can modify in the many ways Nancy suggests. I hope my jacket looks as wonderful as yours does.
jlg said... (12/12/05 4:52 AM) Reply
Fabulous outfit. Your jacket looks wonderful on you.
stripquilter said... (12/12/05 4:17 AM) Reply
I might have to break down and buy some of those FSG patterns and the workbook. Great style for you, great review for the rest of us. Julia in Houston
carolynD43 said... (12/12/05 3:08 AM) Reply
Looks really nice. I have this pattern but was hesitant about trying it, given some of the reviews. Maybe I will now. 71? You don't look it at all.
Lori Sews said... (12/12/05 0:10 AM) Reply
Joan, this is beautiful! You look great.
joan said... (12/11/05 11:16 PM) Reply
The correct pattern link is the one that says provided by joan, not the one that says provided by Fashion Sewing Group

TROUSER DRAFT - A CD book by Kenneth King