Pattern Reviews> Kwik Sew> 2606 (Girls swimsuits)

Viewed 2086 times
Reviewed by:Sew4Fun

About Sew4Funstarstarstarstar
Member since: 6/23/04
Posted on:1/10/06 9:41 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 22 people
See other patterns in this category: Kids(boys & girls)

Teneal said... (11/19/11 9:42 PM) Reply
I've just begun sewing swimwear and on both bottoms and part of the bikini top the elastic goes wavy after I've sewin it into the fabric. What am I doing wrong??
SandraB said... (8/18/11 6:08 PM) Reply
This is a most helpful review. I made my first swim suit yesterday, and your recommendations for attaching the elastic are super helpful. I just made a bikini bottom for myself and the waist line was completely stretched out, caused by the serger I think. I will try attaching the elastic with the sewing machine using your recommendations.
ctirish said... (7/8/11 12:16 PM) Reply
This is a great review, I am going to print it so I can read it while I make my next swimsuit. I only wish the photo links were good.
Holmar said... (6/7/10 2:49 PM) Reply
Great review! Wow, those swimsuits are awesome. Thank-you for such helpful details on needle/thread/lining...etc. I'm about to make my first swimsuit and I want to use my serger but am a little nervous using the wooly nylon in needle and both loopers. Have you made any swimsuits for yourself? Thanks again.
chunter said... (1/20/10 11:09 AM) Reply
Thank you for all the tips! I'm about to embark on my first swimsuit sewing, with no serger in my stable. Your specific hints will help a great deal.
Zaneta said... (10/31/06 7:14 PM) Reply
I just love this princess is only 7 months old. I can't to sew her first swimsuit..
Mbarkle said... (1/13/06 7:01 AM) Reply
Belinda, I also love this pattern. In fact, I made two from this pattern last summer and one of my dd's friends who has a long torso and can't find a one-piece in RTW ended up taking one of the suits home with her! The coverage is great and it stays in place well, so the kids can move and play. I am planning to make a custom suit for this child for her birthday this summer, using this pattern.
valerie sews said... (1/12/06 5:12 AM) Reply
Thank you for a very helpful review. I struggled through my first swimsuit recently and am just about to try again.
Sew4Fun said... (1/11/06 9:06 PM) Reply
BeckyW, to thread the needle with wooly nylon I use an old fashioned needle threader. (This one - I thread the wire through the needle from the back, place the wooly in the wire loop and pull through. It is quick, easy and fool proof. :)
Sew4Fun said... (1/11/06 9:02 PM) Reply
MissMerm, yes you are correct about the lining being caught in the 2nd round of elastic stitching. As for what thread to use without a serger, I'm probably not the person to ask as I've been using a serger since the 70's. I've never made a swimsuit without one. :)
Elemenopeo said... (1/11/06 4:35 PM) Reply
Thanks for all the extra photos on lining and elastics. What great suits!
BeckyW said... (1/11/06 1:24 PM) Reply
What a great review!!! Lots of details. I really appreciate the stitch widths and lenghts on the elastic application. I struggled with this when making a leotard recently. It makes me want to make a swimsuit. Thanks for posting this. I will bookmark this for summer. One question though, how do you thread wooly nylon in the needle?
missmerm said... (1/11/06 7:35 AM) Reply
Great suits. I agree on the modesty/fit (for leotards, too)! This is so helpful. The photo showing the "difference" between the lining and fashion fabric is great--but then when you stitch, am I correct in thinking the first round of 3 step zigzag catches only the fashion fabric, and the lining is caught in when the elastic is flipped and stitched with the zigzag? Also, without a serger, what thread type would you recommend? Thanks in advance.
keelyb1 said... (1/11/06 2:45 AM) Reply
Great suits and great review. I've got this pattern and the fabric. Now to just get on and sew it. Thanks for the detailed elastic instructions.
Debbie Cook said... (1/11/06 0:15 AM) Reply
Great review Belinda! Very helpful and all of DD's suit are very cute! Doesn't this one match yours?? ;-)
kwpanthermom said... (1/10/06 11:19 PM) Reply
Beautifully made suits, I really like the way you put in the lining and the detailed directions on applying the elastic. And wonderful fabric selections!
Mirza said... (1/10/06 10:15 PM) Reply
Thankyou for reviewing this suit. I plan to make swim suits for myself and DD for this summer. Your review was very helpful.
Lori V said... (1/10/06 10:05 PM) Reply
Great job, your dd will have the best suit at the pool.
Frogstitcher said... (1/10/06 9:52 PM) Reply
Wow, this looks so professional. So much nicer than RTW with the full lining. Your DD is so fortunate.
The Technique of Underlining Garments