Online Sewing Class: Sewing Basics

Pattern Reviews> Cynthia Guffey Patterns> 5010 (Shawl Collar Jacket)

Reviewed by:julieb

About juliebstar
VA USA
Member since: 10/28/02
Posted on:2/1/06 7:46 PM
Last Updated:2/1/06 10:32 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 9 people    Very Helpful by 16 people
AngieC said... (9/7/06 10:34 PM) Reply
I love your version of the jacket and the fabric!
Peggy L said... (2/13/06 10:43 PM) Reply
Great jacket. I took some seminar with Cynthia this past weekend. Your week must have been fantastic!
Lee Ann Hawkins said... (2/3/06 1:56 AM) Reply
thanks for the review and the extra pics. I love this jacket, have had the pattern but haven't made it. . . I think I was secretly intimidated that I wouldn't come up to Cynthia's standards! You have inspired me.
hongkongshopper said... (2/3/06 1:09 AM) Reply
Very nice jacket. The contrast collar is very attractive.
PixieCat said... (2/2/06 4:22 PM) Reply
Gorgeous jacket! I love the collar fabric detail!
LorelleD said... (2/2/06 4:00 PM) Reply
Nice Jacket. I like the interesting darts. good review. thankyou.
Liana said... (2/2/06 1:54 PM) Reply
What a pretty jacket! Looks like a great pattern. Lucky you to get to sew with Cynthia. Have you made other patterns of hers?
julieb said... (2/2/06 1:15 PM) Reply
Queendom: We'll expect a picture and review when you get it finished! Thanks for the nice comments here and on another of my reviews (and to everyone else, too).
Queendom said... (2/2/06 12:56 PM) Reply
Love it! I did the muslin when I was with Cynthia last September and had very little to alter as well. It's in the line-up to be made out of red raw silk. Great job, I didn't even think of a contrast collar! I can see all kinds of fabrics used for this jacket.
Peggy said... (2/2/06 11:58 AM) Reply
What a lovely jacket!
kwpanthermom said... (2/2/06 10:02 AM) Reply
Unique pattern with those darts, vintagey and yet somehow modern at the same time. Great fabric choices and nice work.
rosephreak said... (2/2/06 9:22 AM) Reply
This is lovely. Thank you so much for providing alternate views and closeups. It really helps to see what you did. I like the contrasting collar. Nice choice of fabrics.
julieb said... (2/2/06 9:17 AM) Reply
Hi Anne: Am sending you a PM with these details but thought I would share with others, too: Here's the yardage for the CG jacket: Size 6,8,10 2-1/8 yard (45"); 1-1/2 yard (60") Size 12,14,16 2-3/8 yard (45"); 1-5/8 yard (60") Size 18,20,22 2-1/2 yard (45"); 1-3/4 yard (60") This assumes the collar is cut from the same fabric. I used less of the base fabric since I cut my collar from contrast.
AnneM said... (2/2/06 8:35 AM) Reply
Very nice. I like the darts; they look very classy. What is the yardage requirements for this pattern? I have some short yardage of a silk/wool blend that might work nicely with this pattern...
BeckyC said... (2/2/06 8:31 AM) Reply
I love the curved darts on the jacket and the fabric choice for the collar. Beautiful! Thank you for the review.
Jane S said... (2/2/06 8:02 AM) Reply
What a wonderfully versatile jacket that you can dress up or wear casually. Thanks for such a thorough review also.
Nickle said... (2/2/06 6:43 AM) Reply
Great fitted jacket, I bet it looks nice on. Like the collar contrast.
Mary Stiefer said... (2/2/06 0:05 AM) Reply
What an unusual pattern and I love the curved darts starting in the armsyce. It really shapes up this jacket to fit so well.
julieb said... (2/1/06 10:32 PM) Reply
LoriV: You caught my typo -- a WEEK with Cynthia is what I spent. That, too, was spectacular.
Riordan said... (2/1/06 10:23 PM) Reply
Beautiful little jacket in elegant fabric! The darts are lovely, and your sleeves are perfect.
Lori V said... (2/1/06 10:22 PM) Reply
Beautiful jacket. Wow, a month with Cynthia Guffey, that must have been incredible.
Frogstitcher said... (2/1/06 9:37 PM) Reply
Great looking jacket.
Lori Sews said... (2/1/06 9:31 PM) Reply
Very pretty.
sewfan said... (2/1/06 9:06 PM) Reply
Very cute jacket! Love the fabric!!! Pam
Annie- oh said... (2/1/06 8:56 PM) Reply
This IS a beautifully styled jacket. Thanks for the review - and enjoy wearing it!
LBJ said... (2/1/06 8:56 PM) Reply
Very nice. Thanks for bringing this pattern to my attention, I love it.
PegL said... (2/1/06 8:27 PM) Reply
Your jacket is fantastic!! I love it! Thanks for the good review too!
TarheelSewer said... (2/1/06 8:05 PM) Reply
I love your jacket. The darts radiating from the armhole give it a vintage look. Very nice!
Elemenopeo said... (2/1/06 7:55 PM) Reply