Pattern Reviews> Kwik Sew> 2439 (Fleece tops)

Reviewed by:julesberry

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 4 people
See other patterns in this category: Tops    Mens - Shirts    Mens

Other Projects by julesberry using this Pattern

lisaquilts said... (6/24/07 9:55 PM) Reply
Thanks for this review. I have this pattern at home, but have yet to put it together. I think there must be *some* reason (probably psychological) why these and other menswear don't often use extra-small as a size (no man wishes to be "extra small," I imagine :) . My dh is very lean (a distance runner) and I use KS smalls as the mediums were way too big. You did a great job on this top and now you're all set to make other KS tops!
Debbie Cook said... (2/15/06 8:13 AM) Reply

Despite the problems you had with sizing, this turned out very nice.

Just FYI ... KS patterns for men *do* run a size larger than what you're used to with RTW. So, a S will equal a RTW M. Also, "Fitted" will equal tight, "Close Fitting" will equal a bit looser, "Loose Fit" equals baggy. And since this is a casual style, it will be semi loose even with a "close fitting" designation. As your review shows, you're already figuring this out. ;-)

julesberry said... (2/15/06 7:49 AM) Reply
Pam Z - I wasn't really being critical of my own work! ;-) I think I adjusted the pattern to fit! My criticism is of the pattern since I don't think there is a View B for men of less than average height or build! AnneM - Husband is slim as in not fat, but the point is that he isn't underweight. He's been an M-L size plus about 3"-4" extra length in everything else. As for View A - See the other reviews. The measurements imply it really is close fitting so should be fine. Perhaps that is the view to use for a smaller man. Problem is it isn't quite the same style since it doesn't have the dropped shoulders, and presumably the arms are tighter too. More a sports top style than a casual top style.
AnneM said... (2/15/06 5:28 AM) Reply
6'6"? Good thing that you sew. Congrats on your zipper. You could have fooled me that your husband isn't slim. The top looks very nice on him. I initially found a wider seam allowance easier to work with as well; with 1/4" I would not have both layers caught on occasion. With some practice, the smaller seam allowance will be easier. I hadn't realized that one of the views on this pattern was a trim fit, which would have been nice, but it sounds like the sizes might still be too large for my DH.
Pam Z said... (2/15/06 2:30 AM) Reply
I think it's easy to be a bit too critical of your own work. What does your hubby think of the fit? I think he looks nice and comfortable to me.
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (2/15/06 0:56 AM) Reply
Your version turned out very nicely.
sweetviolets said... (2/15/06 0:45 AM) Reply
This is an interesting review and I suspect that my experience was very different. I made it in an XL for my son who is an ex-bodybuilder with a few recently acquired extra pounds. It fit perfectly in the shoulders and chest but the arms were waaaay too long (he wears a 34 sleeve). I did it in 300 weight camo fleece for wearing during paintball 'play'. I agree about the zipper application being 'fiddly' with the instructions not as clearly written as I have come to expect from Kwik Sew patterns. Both shirts look amazingly alike even though the sizes vary so greatly.

by: FreyaStark