Pattern Reviews> Kwik Sew> 2935 (Men's Shirt)

Reviewed by:Irene Q

About Irene Qstarstarstarstar
Member since: 3/19/04
Posted on:2/16/06 4:16 PM
See other patterns in this category: Mens - Shirts    Mens

Other Projects by Irene Q using this Pattern

AlexaNJ said... (6/12/07 10:46 AM) Reply
They all look great! Nice job!! He has an array of shirts to choose from!!!
Hilary said... (3/3/06 9:09 AM) Reply
WOW. Irene, you are a *machine*! How wonderful for you to make all these *gorgeous* shirts for your DH! Lucky man-and I appreciate all the pics in the snow! LOL-really really great looking shirts, and handsome DH. Thanks for all the great tips and inspiration!
CatherineG said... (2/17/06 9:40 AM) Reply
This shirt pattern is also a favourite. I have made it twice for DH. The first one was a sale quilt cotton with a rhino print (sounds odd but looks great). The second was batik rayon. The cotton one is a nice casual shirt and the rayon is a little more dressy. Thank you for adding all the nice colour and details to a pattern that has already had so many reviews.
Mini said... (2/17/06 8:34 AM) Reply
Isn't this pattern great? I can be varied so many ways, and don't forget that women can wear it too. This shirt fits me better than some of the women's patterns I have tried. Re the collar: the collar alteration is also explained in Nancy Zeiman's Busy Woman's Sewing Book, among others. But the collar on this is so easy it's foolproof, even the regular way:).
AnneM said... (2/17/06 8:04 AM) Reply
I just love, love, love your bias pocket with the seam. Even in that full-size picture I was checking that out. Great job on all the shirts.
Liane M said... (2/17/06 7:50 AM) Reply
Wow, if my DH sees this I'm toast. He's been asking for a camp shirt for months. These are really nice shirts. You have taken this pattern to the next level. Thanks for all the tips. Now I MUST take Shannon's Blouse class. Isn't she great. Thanks again.
MaryBeth said... (2/17/06 0:31 AM) Reply
Irene, you've nailed the collar point width and neckline shape for him quite well. Bravo to you, the depth of the collar opening is also perfect for your husband's face and neck. He is so lucky to have a personal designer who came make him look so good. It's wonderful to track the alterations you made to the shirts as you developed the fit. I can see refinements to the sleeve shape and drape and I think I see slight changes to the shoulder slope as well as the change to the button placement. This is more than a review of the pattern, it's a great review of your process.
Katharine in BXL said... (2/16/06 11:54 PM) Reply
Snaps for sewing for DH! He must be jubilant. With six shirts, he must be waiting for the spring thaw. Thanks for pointing out the collar stand-less design is cooler and easier to sew than one with; that's a neat detail. BTW I can't see the off grain print--looks great!
Irene said... (2/16/06 11:46 PM) Reply
Great shirts@ I am particularly fond of the chevron pocket of #4.
Chris Kelly said... (2/16/06 10:49 PM) Reply
Great review! Tell DH thank you for the wonderful pics. Awsome looking shirts! Very lucky guy!
Karla Kizer said... (2/16/06 10:39 PM) Reply
My DH and DS both like shirts made with this pattern, too, and yes Irene, I had to hack a lot of length off those sleeves. Now tell me, did you really make the poor man stand out in the snow to have this picture taken? Tell him we appreciate his sacrifice. Excellent review.
Lori V said... (2/16/06 10:11 PM) Reply
Wow, Irene, does your dh know how lucky he is?!!? Such nice shirts and thanks to him for the photo shoot.
Irene Q said... (2/16/06 9:43 PM) Reply
Thanks, everyone!! Celeste, I added a total of 1.5" to the front width, 3/4" to each side seam. Julesberry, sorry but I don't want to go into too much detail about the collar drafting since I consider it a "secret" of Louise's patterns and Shannon's class. And the FM shirt bundle was a special for swatch club members last summer - haven't seen another one since.
Lorrie McGraw said... (2/16/06 8:22 PM) Reply
Irene, these are really nice shirts. I love the pockets. I also didn't know FM had shirtings bundles! (oh oh) I have this pattern coming so will definately be using your review to refer to. Thanks for the review and pictures. Great inspiration.
Lori Sews said... (2/16/06 8:12 PM) Reply
Wow Irene, these shirts look fantastic!They fit your husband so well! Great colors and fabrics, and I love your pockets. :)
elizajo said... (2/16/06 7:25 PM) Reply
Great shirts! Men's shirts have always intimidated me; you have given me the courage to think about trying one.
BjP said... (2/16/06 6:38 PM) Reply
What a great bunch of shirts! Lucky DH. Nice job on the chevron, too!
Debbie Cook said... (2/16/06 6:34 PM) Reply
Wow Irene!! I love Michelle's comment about opening the closet and finding new clothes that fit ... how cool that would be. The shirts look fantastic. What's all that white stuff on the ground, though?? LOL! And a big PR thanks to your DH for the modeling session, which I *know* is not a man's favorite pastime. Oh, BTW, I understood your collar changes just fine and I don't own any Louise Cutting patterns. (wink)
julesberry said... (2/16/06 5:52 PM) Reply
I can't follow your drafting changes about the collar. You need to explain them. Saying something like, "I did it like Louise Cutter does", doesn't help those of us who haven't taken Louise's classes!
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (2/16/06 5:22 PM) Reply
Wonderful shirts on your handsome hubby. Shirt #5 is definitely his best color. They really look great and I'm going to earmark this review for whenever I make men's shirts. Irene you ARE the queen of shirts!
Celeste said... (2/16/06 5:16 PM) Reply
Do you mean that you added 1.5" TOTAL to the front width, or a total of 3" (1.5 x 2 pieces cut for front)??
Nickle said... (2/16/06 5:08 PM) Reply
Those are really nice shirts. Like the pockets and yoke details. The fit so nice. Hm- I didn't know FM had shirting bundles.
Elemenopeo said... (2/16/06 4:31 PM) Reply
A really stunning array of well fitted shirts.
Michelle T said... (2/16/06 4:28 PM) Reply
You have one lucky hubby. Wouldn't it be nice ot open you closet and find brand new clothes that fit.

by: madbadger