Online Sewing Class: Understanding Knit Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> HotPatterns> 1099 (Plain & Simple Princess Shirt)

Reviewed by:Tarawebster

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 9 people
Lori Sews said... (3/26/06 6:10 PM) Reply
Very nice!
Tarawebster said... (3/26/06 3:09 PM) Reply
Thanks for the comments everyone. AnneM, yes this photo was taken at the fabric store. I wanted to get a photo that would show the collar and the light in my home wasn't doing the trick (and it was raining outside), so I took it to the studio at Stonemountain and Daughter and used their very well lit room. The upstairs is an entire floor of sale fabric, all half price. They put really good quality fabric up there to make room for new fabric in the main two rooms downstairs. NAYY, just an amazing store, that I feel extremely fortunate to have only ten minutes from home. I've got another of these cut out in my fashion fabric, and am almost finished sewing the plain and simple A line skirt from hotpatterns. I'll post that review as soon as it's done. I'm on a hotpatterns roll. I learn so much when I make one of their patterns. They are frustrating only because they are challenging, and challenges are the only way I learn new skills. I figure if I start with the simpler ones, I'll work my up to the Patchouli dress, which I'm really wanting to make!
AnneM said... (3/25/06 9:36 AM) Reply
I hope that picture is at the faric shop & not your house, with all those bolts of fabric! ;) I like your top. I'm seriously considering getting this pattern; thanks for the review.
MaryBeth said... (3/25/06 8:48 AM) Reply
Lovely work! It looks so good on you. Your fabric choice really works with this pattern.
Stacy Sews said... (3/24/06 7:51 PM) Reply
Beautiful blouse! It looks fantastic on you.
Sew4Fun said... (3/24/06 6:48 PM) Reply
Lovely shirt!
Tailypo said... (3/24/06 6:24 PM) Reply
Once again, the end results of an HP pattern appear to be worth the struggle! Fantastic shirt. I love it!
CarolynGM said... (3/24/06 4:50 PM) Reply
Your shirt turned out just lovely. I'll be starting my second one (short-sleeved) very soon.
badgal said... (3/24/06 4:27 PM) Reply
Looks pretty darn good for a muslin!
Lori V said... (3/24/06 4:23 PM) Reply
Very pretty and professional looking.
mirielgw said... (3/24/06 3:09 PM) Reply
Very nice looking shirt! :)
beangirl said... (3/24/06 2:19 PM) Reply
Lovely! Yours fits much better than mine (er... because you wear about ten sizes smaller than I do LOL) Very nice work, thanks for the review. ETA: I don't think this one is probably any more difficult that any other, it's just that the instructions are stuck in between Marfy (having none) or Big4/KS (having illustrations). For instance (Lorna's comment above) if you can do a Marfy with literally no instructions this one won't be any more difficult because you'll just do everything the way you personally prefer to do it. :-) IMHO.
Deb Fox said... (3/24/06 1:57 PM) Reply
Just beautiful.
PhyllisC said... (3/24/06 1:55 PM) Reply
Yep - I might need this one too! Great review.
Karla Kizer said... (3/24/06 1:41 PM) Reply
My HP shirt (short-sleeved) is almost finished, and I like it so much I've been digging through the stash to find other fabric candidates for it. Your version looks great.
milwaukee_kelly said... (3/24/06 1:30 PM) Reply
Beautiful version of this!
touran said... (3/24/06 1:24 PM) Reply
Very beautiful. The collar turned out very well.
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (3/24/06 12:48 PM) Reply
Your version is just lovely. I love how your collar turned out. I also found Kwik Sew instructions helpful.
Leslie in Austin said... (3/24/06 12:27 PM) Reply
Your blouse looks great, Tara! Thanks for the description of the collar.
Lorna C. Newman said... (3/24/06 12:21 PM) Reply
Another lovely version of this top, but I think the hassles are nto worth it ... I will try my Marfy first and see if I like that one better. But I really like how you pulled it off!
Ousa said... (3/24/06 12:13 PM) Reply
What a great looking blouse! I LOVE the style of it! Thanks for the collar description too! ~Ousa
Gigi Louis said... (3/24/06 12:11 PM) Reply
Beautiful! It looks very professional.

Understanding Knit Fabrics