Pattern Reviews> LaFred> 108 (Helena Dress)

Reviewed by:Ann Smith

About Ann Smithstarstarstarstar
Posted on:10/9/02 1:44 AM
Last Updated:11/26/03 7:43 PM

Chandra said... (11/28/03 11:43 AM) Reply
Ann - I love that fabric! I never would have thought of using something like that before seeing your picture. It looks great!
Doris Stewart said... (11/27/03 8:33 AM) Reply
Well done! I love it - another to add to my wish list :-)
Ann Smith said... (11/27/03 0:45 AM) Reply
Tina and Linda E: you should be able to see the dress now as I changed it to the PR album. Don't know why it is so blurry in the small picture on the page but when you click on it, the larger photo is clear.
Linda E. said... (11/26/03 9:01 PM) Reply
Ann I can't see they picture either would love to see it sounds great.
Tina C said... (11/26/03 8:52 PM) Reply
Ann, I always love seeing your projects but I'm starting to hate Ofoto. I can't see the dress!
said... (10/18/02 0:45 AM) Reply
Rennie, I just returned from a trip. Sorry for the delay in replying. I used a bias fusible stay tape, stitched to the raw edge of the hem (fusible side up). Then iron up the hem (5/8") and topstitch. Worked great on this knit.
said... (10/13/02 10:01 PM) Reply
Ann, I just saw this made up in the sleeveless version at the Sewing Expo in Raleigh. The hem was finished by simply cutting with a wavy rotary blade. It was beautiful! Between it and your review I decided I had to have the pattern and will make it up for DILs' 50th wedding aniv. celebration. How did you do your hem? I'm thinking I'll do a roll edge but would like your comments. Thanks.
said... (10/9/02 9:21 PM) Reply
Teri, yes...stretch knits only
said... (10/9/02 8:04 PM) Reply
Ann, your dress is wonderful! Is the pattern for knits only?
said... (10/9/02 7:03 PM) Reply
Ann, this is a lovely garment. I do think, though, that your characterization of your sewing skills as "intermediate" is way too modest! You seem to have a real knack for choosing the right fabric for the right pattern. And your color and style choices work so well for your coloring and figure. I've really enjoyed your reviews and the photos.
said... (10/9/02 3:23 PM) Reply
Hurrah! Hurrah! The fans go wild! What a great and unexpected match of pattern and fabric.
said... (10/9/02 2:08 PM) Reply
M&M, Yes that is "Lava Swirl" recently from Fabric.com.
said... (10/9/02 2:03 PM) Reply
What a great dress you made up!! Is the fabric called Lava by Fabric.com? Thank you for your review.
said... (10/9/02 1:58 PM) Reply
Deb, I tried to be very careful with the fabric as I worked with it. I used fusible stay tape at shoulders and sleeve hems and clear elastic at the drop waist seam. It was verrrry long when I had it all together so I think it grew in length. This may be partly why the underarms were so low.
said... (10/9/02 12:01 PM) Reply
Ann, this looks SO much better ON you than the pattern pictures make it look! Really lovely!
said... (10/9/02 11:19 AM) Reply
Gorgeous dress! The fabric is stunning...I've used rayon knit and it "grew" terribly. Did you have this problem?
said... (10/9/02 9:57 AM) Reply
Ann, what a lovely dress! Thanks so much for the review and photo. I'm going to make this dress up for holiday parties and your comments will be very helpful.
said... (10/9/02 8:31 AM) Reply
Ann, it's just beautiful!
said... (10/9/02 6:12 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review. I own this pattern, too. Your dress is so beautiful, I will take this pattern on the top of my "to do list".
said... (10/9/02 6:05 AM) Reply
The fabric was perfect. You look like one of the "beautiful people" in People magazine!
said... (10/9/02 5:19 AM) Reply
Very nice Ann, your a knockout in this one too!
said... (10/9/02 1:53 AM) Reply
Ann, that dress is stunning on you! My goodness, what a lovely advertisement for this pattern......reaching for my list. :)

Understanding Interfacings