Pattern Reviews> Christine Jonson> 419 (Ruffle Top and Swirl Skirt)

Reviewed by:Sew4Fun

About Sew4Funstarstarstarstar
Member since: 6/23/04
Posted on:5/20/06 0:10 AM
Last Updated:5/22/06 0:40 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 25 people
See other patterns in this category: Tops    Skirts
mspainter said... (9/30/06 8:38 AM) Reply
I am inspired to sew this based on the comments in the review.
Sew4Fun said... (5/24/06 5:35 AM) Reply
Sherril, with a two-way stretch fabric, yes the top would be short in the front. However, with a four-way stretch and the fact I'm a 34D I can get away with not adding length as the fabric stretches over my girls. If the top was too short I could add length to the hem by making it curved. This is something done in Eurpoean pattern drafting when drafting what they call an "elastic" top. HTH, Belinda
Sherril Miller said... (5/23/06 7:04 PM) Reply
Beautiful top. I love this pattern, but would also need a FBA. You didn't add any length for the FBA? Doesn't the hemline get shorter going over the hills?
hongkongshopper said... (5/22/06 6:48 PM) Reply
Hi Belinda, It was great meeting you at the Cloth Shop on Saturday! The top(s) are great! I am a knit top person as well, so I think I will just have to get some of her patterns as well. Vicki
milwaukee_kelly said... (5/22/06 1:37 PM) Reply
Love these tops!
Patti B said... (5/22/06 10:04 AM) Reply
Love the new one too! Your FBA is what Loes Hinse does on her patterns instead of darts; seems to work well.
JDpenelope said... (5/22/06 9:41 AM) Reply
Looks like just the right amount of flare in this pretty version! The sleeves should remain gravy-free.
Mary Stiefer said... (5/22/06 8:45 AM) Reply
The new version is fabulous. Don't know how I missed the first one but these fit you so beautifully and look lovely.
Mbarkle said... (5/22/06 7:11 AM) Reply
Really pretty tops, Belinda. I've never tried these patterns, off to browse. . .
Lilibet said... (5/22/06 1:20 AM) Reply
Love the new version too, so pretty and feminine.
Debbie Cook said... (5/22/06 0:48 AM) Reply
Love the new version too, and I'm ordering this (and probably another one or two) pattern ASAP!!
Diane E said... (5/22/06 0:43 AM) Reply
Pretty pretty pretty new top!
Diane E said... (5/21/06 10:34 PM) Reply
What a beautiful top! I love this pattern too, and you've just opened my mind to the idea of leaving off the ruffle. Wow! What a terrific idea!!! Thanks for the great pictures, too, especially the one of the inside, which is very helpful for we copycats.
Lilibet said... (5/21/06 7:07 PM) Reply
Beautiful fit and lovely style on you. I'd love to see the next version you make. I've just become a fan of CJ patterns too and this is another one to go on my wishlist.
xela said... (5/21/06 11:21 AM) Reply
Beautiful top, looks fabulous, love your fabric. Thanks for the great review
Ann Rowley said... (5/21/06 7:23 AM) Reply
Lovely top, but think carefully about the sleeve flare. I have a couple of tops with a pronounced flare which look great but if you are actually going to DO something - cook, eat, do dishes etc while wearing it the sleeve edges will trail unless you remember to roll them up. Think "gravy stains" ..!
Danvillegirl said... (5/21/06 7:17 AM) Reply
I am glad you are finding such a great fit for this pattern. Looks very good. Love your fabric.
PixieCat said... (5/21/06 5:11 AM) Reply
Your top is beautiful! The lining pictures are very helpful.
dvazz said... (5/21/06 4:56 AM) Reply
lornakismet said... (5/21/06 1:50 AM) Reply
Very alluring look! I like it. -LornaKismet (Lorna A.)
PVA said... (5/20/06 11:12 PM) Reply
Thanks for this review -- your top is just smashing! Beautiful fabric, perfect fit & the lettuce edge really sets it off! Absolutely gorgeous!
Schnauzer said... (5/20/06 11:00 PM) Reply
Very pretty top Belinda!
Rhoda K said... (5/20/06 3:26 PM) Reply
I love your top and a wonderful review. Your adjustment instead of the usual FBA is interesting and I must give it a try. Looking forward to seeing the next top.
wvsher said... (5/20/06 11:48 AM) Reply
Love it -- the style, the fit, the fabric -- everything. Looks great on you.
jlongo said... (5/20/06 10:26 AM) Reply
First of all, you look great in the top! I love the way sleeves are see throughish. Thanks for the great review! Love the comment about the flare on the sleeves, I think you are right about that, I will keep it in mind when I make it up. You are about the same measurements as me, so I know to make a medium..I love pattern review for being able to see others stuff....good job.
Mary Stiefer said... (5/20/06 10:09 AM) Reply
This looks great. Love the color and the style and appreciate your tips on lining, etc.
Esmerelda Twinpalms said... (5/20/06 10:06 AM) Reply
Looks great! I made this pattern, too, with an onionskin, and I love it. I also tried the Christine Jonson wrap top, but this one -- the ruffle top -- worked better for me on my plus size figure. I'm interested in how you round out through the bust on knits. Do you have to redraw the sleeves to do that?
Patti B said... (5/20/06 9:26 AM) Reply
This looks wonderful on you and I love the fabric too. Thanks for a very helpful review; your details will make it easier for the rest of us. CJ patterns are well drafted and suit me as well.
jemgirlca said... (5/20/06 9:25 AM) Reply
Love your top! I need to try this pattern.
carolynw said... (5/20/06 9:14 AM) Reply
Really like the changes you made and think your fabric choice really adds a lot to the finished top. Looks great on you.
Debbie Cook said... (5/20/06 8:55 AM) Reply
Belinda, beautiful, just beautiful. Great fabrics and the fit is perfect. Can't wait to see the next version too!
Stacy Sews said... (5/20/06 8:49 AM) Reply
This is a great looking top! I love the fabric choice too - now I can't wait to see the top with the ruffle!
CSM--Carla said... (5/20/06 8:36 AM) Reply
Beautiful top--looks great on you. Thanks for the informative and educational review! I was interested in the techniques you used to adapt to the less stretchy knit.
JDpenelope said... (5/20/06 7:54 AM) Reply
Your fabric is lovely made up with your adjustments. The fit is perfect -- You have made this pattern a winner, even with the wimpy flare in the sleeves.
LauraM62 said... (5/20/06 7:38 AM) Reply
Looks wonderful on you, very slimming too! The colors of the top look really good on you, plus the fit is fab! What a winner!
Elisabetha said... (5/20/06 7:03 AM) Reply
What a great looking top. I agree about the flare; thank you for such a comprehensive review
CarolynGM said... (5/20/06 6:50 AM) Reply
Great result. It's such a good feeling to find a pattern that works so well you want to make it 1000 times.
Ingiepops said... (5/20/06 3:03 AM) Reply
This is very pretty! I have this pattern too but have been holding off as I find it hard to find fabric with the recommended stretch, so I'm glad to read what you did with less stretchy fabric. Thanks for the review.
Lori V said... (5/20/06 0:35 AM) Reply
Great looking top. Thanks for the review and all the wonderful pictures. I agree a bit more flare on the sleeve. Are you going to make one with the ruffle?

by: Mahogany S...