Pattern Reviews> Marfy> 9824 (Summer jacket)

Reviewed by:Debra H

About Debra Hstarstarstarstar
NC USA
Member since: 7/16/04
Posted on:6/10/06 4:13 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 10 people
Klutzy said... (10/15/06 2:48 PM) Reply
Debra, thanks for letting me know about this pattern. If I ever try to sew w/o instructions it's nice to know it might come out as gorgeous as this! I could not respond to you privately because I must be a member for a week to do so. I am very frustrated with that rule and would love to know WHY someone thought it was a great idea to make newbies wait a week to ask questions!!!
milwaukee_kelly said... (6/12/06 9:00 AM) Reply
Gorgeous Debra. It's always a treat to see what you've made.
Debra H said... (6/11/06 9:32 PM) Reply
I did not use bias trim along the front edge or any of the edges. I just serged and rolled under 2 times and topstitched.
Re Becca said... (6/11/06 11:43 AM) Reply
OH so Cute! Did you put bias trim around the front edge? It almost looks like it in the picture. This looks really comfortable. I have also found Marfy patterns to be very consistent. What you alter for one, you usually do for allof them. This saves me from always doing muslins.
Nancy K said... (6/11/06 11:02 AM) Reply
Great jacket, great review. I would never have thought to put that fabric with that jacket and it really works. Brava! Your added comment about the patterns being uniform in sloper is very helpfull I always find that BWOF works this way for me, but that the Hot Patterns are really quirky in their fit and for busy women, as we all are, that is just a hastle and just not worth the added effort. I keep loving what you make from Marfy and I am tempted to try one. Thanks again for a very informative review. You also make very similar adjustments to mine and that is extremely helpful.
cmarie12 said... (6/11/06 10:11 AM) Reply
As usual a great job, a great review and an excellent choice of fabric!
slanden99 said... (6/11/06 9:47 AM) Reply
The jacket looks great. I love the fabric too-perfect for this syle.
Debra H said... (6/11/06 8:59 AM) Reply
To answer a question in the comments, Marfys do not have ANY written instructions...period. There are a few tips on the pre-cut pattern pieces, but English translations are quirky. For example, "stuffing along a shoulder seam means that's where a shoulder pad goes and "loose" along sleeve caps means you must ease in with gathering stitches. The pattern pieces come pre-cut with no seam allowances in one size only. But, all this aside, this would be a pretty easy pattern to do for even some beginners as long as you had a more experienced friend to help you do the pattern tracing the first time. Then, I would also do a quick test garment of the front/back pieces to see how Marfys fit on you. The good news is that once you have fit Marfy the first time, you usually apply the same revisions to other Marfys.
CarolynGM said... (6/11/06 7:52 AM) Reply
Lovely lines and fabric. A perfect light summer jacket.
Danvillegirl said... (6/11/06 7:33 AM) Reply
Great looking jacket. I have ordered a Marfy pattern but has yet to arrive. All information shared about Marfy patterns is very helpful. Love your fabric.
lornakismet said... (6/11/06 3:31 AM) Reply
I added this to my Pattern Page, but I notice that you wrote that it has few instructions. Would you say that I as a beginner should wait a while before I try it? I like this kind of floaty garment. -LornaKismet (Lorna A.)
patsijean said... (6/11/06 0:18 AM) Reply
I like this little jacket very much. It increases my interest in Marfy patterns.
redsquid said... (6/11/06 0:05 AM) Reply
Simple cut but very elegant garment! You are definitely increasing my interest in Marfy patterns....
carolynw said... (6/10/06 11:00 PM) Reply
Great review and your jacket looks so pretty and just right for summer. Have not sewn any Marfy patterns yet but this may be the one to get me started since I like simple designs.
Ingiepops said... (6/10/06 10:41 PM) Reply
Thanks for another Marfy review, I love reading your reviews and as others have said you encourage me to buy them myself and give one a go!
hongkongshopper said... (6/10/06 7:37 PM) Reply
Very nice!
drsue said... (6/10/06 7:34 PM) Reply
OOOOOOHHH, so nice!
SarahWeb said... (6/10/06 7:06 PM) Reply
Hi Debra. I always admire your work. I am excited to see this review especially because I bought this fabric too, but then felt unsure what to do with it and how to treat it. Your review will help me with choosing a pattern (I love how this one came out) and also with working with this beautiful lace fabric. I also love the orange top you paired it with.
Seamingly Simple said... (6/10/06 6:59 PM) Reply
What a beautiful fabric you chose for this design. It's so pretty and light that it reminds me of butterfly wings. Nice job.
bunz said... (6/10/06 5:42 PM) Reply
Really pretty, Debra - and great review as always!
Liana said... (6/10/06 5:40 PM) Reply
Very cute, Debra! I love your fabric, too. This does look like a "repeater".
BjP said... (6/10/06 5:29 PM) Reply
Lovely jacket! This just may make me break down and try a Marfy. I really like the double ties you used.
Vonnevo said... (6/10/06 5:26 PM) Reply
Beautiful Debra :)))
MaryBeth said... (6/10/06 4:35 PM) Reply
That is so pretty, Debra. Whenever I see a pattern that has simple lines like this, I think: "Oh, easy to knock off, I don't need a pattern!" but then I rarely get around to doing my intended knockoffs. Love to read about Marfy patterns, though, and glad you didn't behave like me!
ConnieBJ said... (6/10/06 4:34 PM) Reply
Thanks for the lovely review - I am planning on constructing my first Marfy - I was going to do a difficult one, perhaps I will start with a less complicated pattern to begin with. It is funny that a lot of us rarely look at instruction sheets, however the absence of one makes us pattern shy(well me anyhow!) Beautiful jacket!

by: Jonni Ange...